Chapter 9: Vrishaketu & Padmaja: Cute siblings

Story Unfolds :

The brother was practicing hard

The brother was practicing hard. He wanted to be an excellent archer like his father Karna. He wanted to be a powerful fighter like his eldest sibling Vrishasen. He wanted to be a great mace warrior like his other brother Banasen. He wanted to be excellent sword fighter like his brother Sushen, Chitasen and Satysen. He wanted to be master of all trades of warfare like his other two siblings Shatrunjay and Dpitatva. He had an ulterior motive of this kind of determination. He had to avenge the death of his brothers and father in the hands of that Pandava brothers. At any cost. By hook or by crook.

But the sister was not paying any attention to him

But the sister was not paying any attention to him. She was a bubbly and charmingly innocent girl of 9. Unknown of the brutal murder of her father and nine siblings. She was at that moment engrossed in her doll. She wanted her doll to get married soon as in her thought it was now of marriageable age. She was hammimg happily some unknown tune. She had learnt it from her grandmother Mata Parvati in childhood. She had faintest memory of her happiest days with her grandma and grandpa. In earth she could not be granted to retain her complete memory. It was against the law of the nature.

Vrishaketu was at that time swinging his sword effortlessly over his head by tightly clutching it in both palms. He stopped dead in his track. Then titled his head towards the baby voice of his sister. He looked at her direction in awe. The melody was unknown yet very mysteriously soothing in ears. He knew about this mysterious nature of his sister. When she remained in the earth and when she was dreaming of her life in the Kailash nobody could ever understand that. Only his sister-in-law Vatsayala tried to cope with this young girl. But unfortunately she was now visiting her parents along with her toddler son Soumyajit. So it was now upon Vrishaketu and his mother to understand Padmaja.

Padmaja was hamming happily with a cute smile and nodding her head in both sides. She looked delighted. She was going to give marriage to her baby doll. Why should not she be so much delighted?!!

 Why should not she be so much delighted?!!

Vrishaketu sighed hard. She was still living in her dreams. Her life was full now around her dolls. She did not have a bit knowledge about the cruel world around her. Like a timid and shy nature lover she wanted to roam everywhere and explore the world. Just like him!! 3 years ago!! When his father was alive!!!

"Father!!" This one name was enough to melt his heart till now. He was so small when he demanded his uncle to catch a small beautiful bird. But his father Karna intervened. He taught him to respect the liberty of that small creature too. "Pitashree, where did you go now?!! I miss you!! Very very much!! I love to sit on your lap still now!!" He was thinking in his mind when a soft touch on his shoulder had broke his thought process. With a jolt he sharply turned back to face his ever smiling sister Padmaja was now standing beside him.

"Bhaiya, ap itni man laga ke kyun har din yudhha ke anushilan karte Ho?!! (Brother, why you practice rigorously this warfare techniques?!!)" She asked him in surprised fashion.

"Kyun ki main ek yodhha hoon. Aur tuh ek yodhha ki Putri. Tujhe pata bhi hain hamare Pitashree kitne mahan yodhha the!! Aur hamare Choti Maa bhi!! Aur hamare now bhai bhi!!! (I have to practice it everyday as I am a warrior. And you are a daughter of a warrior too. Do you know how great warrior our father was?!! And our younger mother too?!! Our nine more siblings too?!!)" He proudly displayed his pride of being a fighter to her.

"Ho sakta hain. Parantu main toh un main se kisiko janti bhi Nahin!! Na hi kabhi dekha hain!! Main to keval ap ko, Matashree ko, Bhabishree ko aur Soumya (Nick name of Soumyajit) janti hoon!! (Perhaps. But I don't even know them. I know you, mother, sister-in-law and Soumya only.)" She answered him while combing the hair of her doll absentmindedly. She felt uncomfortable to discuss about her parents. As she did not get any chance to meet them.

Vrishaketu sighed softly recalling his loving parents and siblings. They were his life. His everything. With them his days of innocence also gone now. But as a dotting brother he did not want that to happen with his only baby sister. He wanted to protect her at any cost. From that evil Pandava brothers who ruined his family. For them, he had lost his father Karna, mothers Supriya and Uruvi qnd nine siblings. He had to grown up first to protect his remaining family from their evil clutches.

Mind it, it was the thought of a mere teenager. Don't misjudge him. At his place, anyone can be angry with the Pandava. Give him some time to cool off.

"Bhai, aj mere Putri ki bibah hain!! (Today is my daughter's wedding day.)" Padmaja replied meekly. She wanted to invite her brother as she loved him very much.

Vrishaketu with a jolt once more broke up from his thoughts. Then he looked at her. He loved her this meek expression. He knew how much his sister loved him.

"Huh!! Ab toh tere liye Patra khonjna paredga!! Kyun ki iski bina toh teri Putri ki bibah hone se rahi!! (Hush!! I have to search for your groom first. Because without your marriage, your daughter could not get married!!) He answered her firmly by nodding his head in both sides.

"Mere bar toh pehle se nirdharit hain!! (My husband is already decided beforehand!!)" By telling this slowly and absentmindedly she pulled out her tongue. Her grandfather Lord Shiva had told her that she was fated to be the bride of Pradumna. But he warned her not to tell anyone. She slipped it. Without notice.

She opened her eyes wide open in shock. What did her brother think of her?!! A shameless girl talking about her would be husband!! Good god!!

Vrishaketu, on the contrary, did not hear her sudden revelation. He did not pay any attention to her mindless blabbering all the time. He had a soft corner for her but he usually failed to comprehend her.

He looked at her direction and pressed his lips together. Then he had replied to her jokingly -

"Kyon?!! Woh Banshuri wala!! (who?!! That flute player?!!)"

Padmaja pouted her lips cutely and twisted her nose in anger. Till she met that flute player in the forest her dear brother was taunting her about him. She had loathed the idea of getting married with that flute player. He could be a great flute player but could not a good husband in her opinion as he scared her by glaring at her that day. To her opinion, a husband should not glare at his wife. How cute girl she was!! She did not have any knowledge of martial life!!

She lifted her right first and showed it to her brother who started laughing on her cuteness. Then she pulled out her tongue to mock him and ran out of the room. To the direction of her mother Vrushali's room. To complain to her. Her brother was mocking her too much!!!

Fate was still laughing aloud by seeing the foolish reaction of this girl. She did not know that she already had met with her destined partner of life. That flute player!!! Unfortunately!!! Or might be fortunately!!! God knew the answer!!!

************************************