Chapter 100: Grief-stricken Arjuna Vowed to kill Babru

Story Unfolds :

At Hastinapur:

An woman was looking at the sky fill with stars vacantly. She was standing on her windowpane. Her big lotus shaped eyes were now vacant and truly lifeless. She was a middle aged woman with two children. Yet she yet looked as beautiful as she was once when she married her husband. Her Karna. Her beauty enhanced in her pale and bloodless face. Her oval face was now drenched in sweat and tears. Two lines of tears were to be seen in naked eyes. She was looking at the nighttime sky God knew why?!! Let me introduce her to you. She was none but the only living wife among the three wives of Anga Raj Karna, Devi "Vrushali" Padmavati.

                 Devi Padmavati

                 Devi Padmavati

She was stark awake beside her grief stricken daughter-in-law Rajkumari Yuvi still at yesterday night. But her sister-in-law and best friend Panchali insisted to sit beside Yuvi at night and sent her forcefully to sleep. But alas!! She could sleep an ounce!! No mother could!!! When her son was in war!!!

This stepmother of Vrishaketu loved him tremendously. She took him in her laps instantly after his birth. She was so happy to see his baby face at that time. More than his own mother. Supriya. His mother never wanted to bear any son to Karna. But Padma had tricked her. She forced her to have Vrish. She knew how significant was Su or Supriya's place in Karna's heart. Padma identified his heart beat. As she was not only his wife, but also his best friend. She wanted to take Karna and Supriya relation to another level. To the level of parents. Vrishaketu came and binded both of them into a strong bond. Padma was a proud and happy mother of him. He never called her as Badi Maa or elder stepmother, but as Maa or mother. That boy did not know that he was actually not "Padmavat" or Son of Padmavati but a "Supiyo" or son of Supriya. None had ever told him. Neither Padmavati nor Supriya. Padma loved him with her entire heart and soul. As if Vrish was her own flesh and blood. Like her Vrishasen. She even loved all other adopted sons of Karna and Supriya equally. Both Uruvi and Padma had never discriminated between those boys. You could see how selfless this woman must be to love her two step-children, Padmaja and Vrishaketu, so much.

She was awake till midnight. But she had a bad dream. No it was a truly nightmare. She saw her husband Karna. After so long times. She was so happy to see him at first. Then to her dismay she noticed that he was not alone. Her Vrish was with him!!! Both father and son were talking about something. In jovial mood. At one point Karna hugged Vrish in his arms.