Chapter 43: Padmaja disguised as Maid Naina to Pradumna

Story Unfolds :

She sat uptight in a dimly lighted room at the far western corner. It was medium in size with three big doors and windows. The windows were now open and gentle soothing breeze of air was coming through them. It was the time of evening when the sun already set on the horizon and the last few rays were to be seen. She was seen to be watching the scenario and sighing softly. God knew why?!! Perhaps she was recalling her own father whom she never got a chance to see in her unfortunate life!!!

 God knew why?!! Perhaps she was recalling her own father whom she never got a chance to see in her unfortunate life!!!

Devi Padmaja

She got the news of her husband's gaining of consciousness. But she did not gain courage to face him. His last words where still ringing in her ears -

"Ap ko apni yogya koi bar abasya mil jayegi, Rajkumari. Ap is Bibah se mere taraf se mukta ho!! (You will surely get a suitable suitor for you. You are free from my side!!)"

How foolish she was that day of their marriage?!!! She refused him in front of him!! How very calous!! He tried to save her with his own life. She had a suspicion must be her dear brother Vrishaketu forced him to come after her. But she was not ready to listen to him a bit. She was reluctant to him. He was severely injured for her. To save her life. When he came down of the stairs he looked in extreme pain and agony. He was limping a bit too. But she was then so much engrossed in her bad luck that she overlooked it. Completely. She was ready to break the marriage at any cost at that time that she forgot about him. How would he feel!! When a newly married man got to know that his wife hated her what could be his reaction?!! Pain!! Agony!! Suffering!! Despair!! Dismay!! Doubt in himself!! She did not know his mental state at that time. He had tore down the wedding Garland for the sake of her happiness. And what she gave him in return?!! Nothing!! She just wiped out her "Sindoor" in the expectations that none would be known of her secret marriage. But it did not happen. Whenever her dear brother Vrishaketu taunted her or her dear eldest uncle Yudhhisthir looked calmly at her face she understood that they knew everything. Now her newly found cousin Babrubahan also proved that he also knew of the marriage. Her entire "Sasural" or marital abode knew of it. Then whom she was till now deceiving?!! Except herself only!!

She regretted that decision extremely. Her naivety and inexperience made her look arrogant and proud. She did not have Knowelage about marriage. What she had to do after marriage none had told her earlier. Her sister-in-law Vatsyala had memorized her 2 days of mairtal bliss with Vrishasen but she had omitted the secrets. She remembered when at her own early childhood she asked her sister-in-law with shock how she got pregnant with Soumya then within that meantime Vatsyala blushed deeply and stopped talking. She was laughing now at her own mind in her foolishness!!! How very naive she was then!!!

Suddenly she heard a rustle behind her and sharply turned back. A Dark silhouette had fall over her back. She narrowed her eyes. A man or boy was standing. His back was facing the light so it was impossible to see his face.