Chapter 20: Padmaja refuted Marriage with Pradumna

Story Unfolds :

Padmaja's Side of Story :

A mere teenager girl of 16 was crying constantly and running fanatically when all the things started to happen one another. Her celestial granddad and grandma appaered out of blue and gave her blessings for such an unusual sort of union with a stranger. And then they happily disappeared. Her loving grandmother even warned her to accept him as her mate!!! How could she?!! Without asking for her own permission?!! Without thinking of her happiness?!! She felt so angry on her grandparents. She wanted to severe her all ties with them at that very moment.

Then suddenly she saw that stranger, whom her grandparents mentioned as her husband, was going away without paying any attention to her. He had to answer her questions. At least he had to set her free. But no!! That arrogant brute!!! He climbed down the slopes and stairs with long strides!! (That was wrong as he was in tremendous agony to stir his numb limbs.) She ran after him in vain to seek answer from him. But he did not reply!! He mocked her!!! And then before her very eyes he galloped on his horse and faded away from her life. Perhaps forever!!
But before going he tore down his wedding Garland from his neck and tossed it up to the sky and that fell down exactly on her neck. She was overwhelmed in shock from the first. After that incident she fell down on the floor once more. With wide eyes. Her brain refused to believe what was going on with her?!!!

For how many hours had passed away she had lost the count. She sat there numbly yet very patiently in the road before the Lord Shiva Temple. At the dawn time she woke up with a jolt. She regretted her situation and had decided not to tell anything to about this. The temple was about to open and if the old Pujari noticed her with her "Sindoor" then her family would know about it and would pressurize her to go to that brute uncultured and uncivilized man (she meant her own husband Pradumna). So she ran to the nearest pond and dived into it. And she wiped her tears gently but the blood on her forehead roughly. Very astonishingly it came out. No trace remained in her body of that nasty hated man!!! God!! How fool was she?!! She did not know what she was doing?!!! As a wife, she was praying for the death of her own husband?!!! It was a curse to wipe out a married woman's "Sindoor" (vermilion). It was a bad omen. It was said that a married woman could not wipe out her own vermilion and if it could be done then she was going to be widow very very soon. This foolish arrogant girl!!! In her false pride and arrogance she was not even thinking what would happen to that man who was an uncultured and brute to her but in reality her husband?!! He had saved her honor twice. Yet she was calling for his own death!!! He loved her with his whole heart since his birth!!! And she was asking for his demise!!!! Huh!!! How could you, Padmaja?!! Just how could you?!! You were more foolish than your own mother Uruvi!!! She cursed her husband Karna in anger hence she had to die prematurely with him. You reduced the life-line of your own husband in your own bare hands and let's just wait to see what would next happen to you!!!

 You reduced the life-line of your own husband in your own bare hands and let's just wait to see what would next happen to you!!!

When she wiped out a single trace of blood from her forehead then the sky got dark. Thunder storm were seen to dance all over the sky. The Sun God hide himself behind clouds by seeing this audacity of his granddaughter in shame. Birds stopped chirping once more. Animals stopped running. Men stopped there hustle and bustle of the busy life in the great fear of unknown calamity. A thunderous angry voice rang on her ears repeatedly -

"Murkh!! Yeh tumne kya kar diya?!! Devtawo ki pasand ko apamanit kar diya apni andhi aur jhuthhi aham Main?!! Devtawake nirachabit Patra tune tukra di?!! Yuski pran lene ki pryatana ki jo tumsjhe tere janam ke purb se Prem karta tha?!! Jo aj bhi keval tere khushi ke liye Mrityu le ke chala gaya aur tujhe Jivan daan de diya badle main?!! Tu kisi ki Patni hone ki yogyya hi nahin hain!!! Tuh toh na Shankar Drauhitri hain nahin Mahan Dan Beer Karna Putri!!! Ja mere tujhe avishap hain aj se tu na ji sakegi. Na mar sakegi. Na hans sakegi. Na ro sakegi. Nahi kabhi sukhi ho Sakegi. Na Dwitiya Bibah kar sakegi. Tu jis ki pran rekha mita diya uski sath tujhe bhi marna parega. Ek sath. Yehi teri niyati hain."

(You fool!! What had you done?!! You reject the choice of the Gods with such audacity?!! What do you think of yourself?!! You wiped out the Sindoor and took out the remaining lifeline of that man who started to worship for you even before your birth. He loved your name. He exhaled your scent even when your not there. His whole world starts with you!! Ends with you!! Your rejection broke him. Took out his urge of living in an instance. You wanted to kill him who saved you and in response took curse upon him only?!! He was poisoned for you?!! It was your battle. Not his. But he fought for your sake. And you killed him at first chance. You can't be known as the granddaughter of Lord Shiva or daughter of benevolent king Karna. You are a curse on them both. You are neither loyal. Nor devoted. So, I, Lord Brahma, curse you, from today, you will neither laugh. Nor cry. Nor leave. Nor die. You hate your husband. But you have to die with him. It is your destiny. Now repent.)

She looked petrified. From where the voice came she did not know. She was looking fanatically here and there to find out the source of the sound when she heard a gentle old voice -

"Putri, pani se bahar ao. Ap bimar par jaogi. (Daughter, come out of the water. You will be sick.)"

With a horror she bolted towards the voice and noticed gentle looking old Pujari was standing beside the pond. It was he who instructed her that. She ran to him and sat down on his feet to cry her heart out. He did not hurried Her. She completed her story. Then he softly whispered in her ears -

"Putri, yeh tumne achha nahin kiya!!# Ek bar uski bhi baat sunto leti. Sambhata woh tumhari liye is prithvi main aya hoga!!! (Daughter, you have done a great mistake. At least you have to give him a chance. Or at least try to listen to his side. How could you be so sure that he planned this attack to win over you?!! Might be you are wrong?!! What if he was innocent?!! Perhaps he was the boy your grand-dad always talked to about in your childhood?!! Perhaps you forgot him now?!!)"

She looked at him in surprised mode. She did not think of that possibility. In her false arrogance and pride she was so sure that Pradumna tried to abduct him. He was the kingpin of the attacks around her and her family. But could it be ever possible that he was a pawn too?!!! Her brain refused to believe that. Fool!!! Now!! You have done It!! Don't repent!!! Your foolishness was of no bound!!!

In heaven two more couples looked very unhappy. But their story in next chapters.

************************************