Chapter 35: News of Pradumna's illness worried Padmaja

Story Unfolds :

Vrishaketu's Side of Story :

      New King of Anga Vrishaketu

He should be very happy like others. He should be very proud. He, on the contrary, felt dreadful. He had already received the news of grave illness of his Mitra or friend Pradumna from his eldest uncle Yudhhisthir. He was petrified for him. He wanted to reconcile his Mitra with his sister Padmaja at any cost. But it seemed not a bit possible at this very moment. Her point of view about Pradumna was still unknown to Vrishaketu as she beautifully hide her emotions from her own brother. Whenever he had tried to talk about his Mitra, she either walked away or avoided to be indulged into the discussion. From her stony face none could recognise her mentality. Not even Vrishaketu. But he decided to intervene into this matter. Now it would be a laughing stock among people if they ever got to know about Padmaja's so-called secret marriage with Pradumna. Her pride and rigidity, her outrage, her refusal to put "Sindoor" (vermilion) on her partings od hair would made her a laughing stock among other girls. As her dear he had to stop it. At any cost.

Vrishaketu decided his mind and left the room to search for her. He asked a maid who politely informed him that the Rajkumari was making a Garland at the garden. He nodded his head and dismissed Her. She with a curt nod of head went away. With longest determined strides he went to the garden. He knew it perfectly that he had to do now.

When he entered the garden he saw her sitting inside a big oak tree with her palms on her cheeks. She was now thinking something deep. God knew what?!!!

He stand beside her and in theatrical manner suddenly laughed aloud. She was not for the show. With a jolt she broke up from her dreams and stared hard at her brother's face. God!! What had happened to him?!! Was he gone crazy or something?!! Why he was now laughing like a maniac?!!!

 God!! What had happened to him?!! Was he gone crazy or something?!! Why he was now laughing like a maniac?!!!

      Devi Madirakshi Padmaja

He rolled into his laughter and as if he was controlling himself he clutched on his stomach with both hands. She rolled her eyes in frustration. But he was still showing his teeth to her.