Chapter 26: Arjuna Met Vrishaketu & Padmaja

Story Unfolds :

"Matashree ne unhe Kshama kyse kar diya?!!! Mujhe samajh nahin ata itna sab hone ki baad bhi!! (How can mom forgive them?!! Even after everything they did with us?!!)"

A girl of 17 was fuming with rage in her mind. She did not want to forget the disaster Her own uncles brought upon her lovely family. By killing her 9 brothers and dotting father. She was none but the protagonist of our story, Karna Nandini Padmaja.

                      Devi Padmaja

                      Devi Padmaja

Her loving brother Vrishaketu was sitting at a long high back armchair with toddler nephew Soumyajit in his lap. Soumya was talking nonstop and giggling hard. The boy was very happy to get the attention of his granddad Yudhhisthir who had even became his horse to ride over. He was still now praising his own old horse aloud when his "Buwa" (sister of his father Vrishasen) Padmaja came hopping the room and complained about her own eldest uncle's staying with them. She was in no mood to talk with her uncle nor even to give him a fair chance to put his own side to them.

Soumya pouted his lips cutely in mock anger. His buwa should not do that. At least she should praise his own horse. He meant his granddad Yudhhisthir.

               Toddler Soumyajit

               Toddler Soumyajit

Vrishaketu was noticing Padmaja's uncomfortable situation. He did not know why she was so dead against the staying of their uncle Yudhhisthir with them. But there must be some deep inner meaning!!! Without any reason his dearest younger sister till now did not prefer to do anything. He knew that perfectly. Then why she seemed so restless?!! Even if she was not upon earth when her family was killed?!! Vrishaketu saw his father's and brother's brutal murders. He was the eye witness!! Not her!! Then why she seemed so adamant against them he could not understand!!

 He was the eye witness!! Not her!! Then why she seemed so adamant against them he could not understand!!

                  Prince Vrishaketu
             (Karna & Supriya son)

But he was sitting uptight and quietly. He was following her through his own eyes. She was pacing restlessly since coming into the room. With inhuman speed. He, on the contrary, was still sitting calmly and composedly.

Suddenly she sharply turned back to face him and instantly uttered this -

"Bhai, ap kuch kehte kyun nahin?!! (Dear brother, why don't you tell something?!! Why don't you protest to mother?!!)"

He smiled at her foolishness. He was also angry with his uncles. But being a Crown Prince of prosperous Anga state, he was an intelligent boy. He knew it by heart how desperately they needed powerful allies at that very moment. Mahua escaped successfully even after executing such a big and dangerous abduction plan. God knew what she was planning next?!! The lives of Soumya, Bhabishree Vatsyala, Matashree Vrushali, Her and himself were in stakes now!! They needed any help!! Desperately!! If any rebellious activity got spread in the state, the aid of Mathura was very far from them. Before the army of Mathura could ever reach Anga, the state would be burned down eventually. Hence the presence of the Hastinapur Naresh Samrat Yudhhisthir was welcome at this very moment. It was not that he had forgiven their sins. But due to the demand of this crisis he had to put on a happy mask on his face.

"Bhai, ap badal gaye ho!!! (Brother, you have changed a lot!!)" She had been complaining to him.

He, in complete silence, nodded his head dismissively. It meant that he had not changed a bit. He did not forget his vow of avenging the brutal murders of his family members. He just changed his own strategy. That was that. But she failed to realize that. She, being an energetic young girl, did not understand the necessity of using strategy. Foolish girl!!! Politics was a big game!!! She did not comprehend that!!!

All of a sudden a guard rushed into the room and announced aloud -

"Madhayam Panadava, Sarva Srestha Dhanurdhar, Mahabeer Arjuna Pradhar rahe hain!!! (The middle brother of Pandava, the best Archer of India, powerful Arjuna is seeking to come inside!!)"

Padmaja opened her doe shaped eyes in shock. Then in the next second she looked at the direction of her brother. Vrishaketu brewed his eyebrows together. In deep thought. What on the earth that uncle of his was here too?!! Kakashree Yudhhisthir could come here!! To invite them for the upcoming Raj Suya Yajna!! On the behalf of Hastinapur!! But why the hell Arjuna?!! What he wanted here?!!

The guard looked expectantly at the Crown Prince who signalled him to let Arjuna come into the room. With a curt nod of head the guard went away. Vrishaketu stood opposite to the door by clutching his throne. He did not want to face Arjuna till now!!! After all he was the murderer of his father Karna and his three siblings!!!

Padmaja noticed his brother's own dilemma. But by seeing him fighting bravely with his mental agony she felt herself very proud. She touched the left shoulder of her brother. His tense muscles got relaxed by her soft touch. He smiled at her. She also grinned happily at him. In complete silence, these two brother-suster duo had tried to comfort each other. But they failed to notice that someone else was also seeing them smiling at each other in moister eyes. He was none but their hated uncle. Arjuna.

                            Arjuna

                            Arjuna

He cleared his throat nervously. He did not know how to approach his own nephew and niece who were not welcoming him wholeheartedly. With time and great bloody war of the Mahabharata the souls and minds were detached from each other now.

"Aiye, Madhayam Pandava. Apki yeah swagat hain. (Come, middle Pandava. You are welcome.)" Vrishaketu had told him without even looking at him.

"Dhanyabad. Main apne Bhatije se milne aya hoon!! (Thank you. I come to meet with my nephew!!)" Arjuna answered him. uncomfortably.

"Janke achha laga ki apko apni Bhatije yah bhatiji ki smaran toh ayi!!! (I feel good to know that you are at last try if remembering your own nephew and niece!!)" Vrishaketu's curt answer.

Arjuna looked genuinely surprised to hear his reply. But he could not reply anything. He knew that he had to try hard enough to melt the hearts of his nephew and niece. But he would not accept defeat easily. He would try to reconcile with them. At any cost.

************************************