Give You Something Good To Celebrate

Mitch never really cared much for birthdays; he always felt as if they were just regular, yet irrelevant, day. He didn't think much of it the day before, or the week before, but somewhere along the comforting dark, Mitch would find three people who could make this day, and even his life unforgettable.

Unbeknownst to Mitch, who is resting peacefully, Scott is in the kitchen, making Mitch's favorite breakfast. Scott expertly prepares an omelet with cheese, toast with Nutella, and apple juice. As Scott is making the food, he hears tiny footsteps coming from the ruddy staircase. He sees his son, Liam, and smiles merrily. Liam smiles back and makes his way downstairs with his teddy bear in his hand.

"Morning, Papa!" Liam says as he sits at the table.

"Good morning, Liam! Did you sleep well?" Scott says as he kisses Liam's cheek.

"Yes I did, Papa!" Liam says with a grin.

Scott grins back. "I'm making breakfast for Daddy, do you remember what today is?"

"Yes! It's Daddy's birthday! Daddy is still sleeping!" Liam says cheerfully.

"We're going to surpise him with breakfast in bed today." Scott says as he safely puts Hudson in his carrier, and Hudson soon relaxes into the warmth of the generous man he calls Papa.

"I wanna make a card for Daddy, Papa." Liam says.

"Okay, buddy, let me get you some supplies for it". Scott says as he heads to the art supplies drawer.

Scott grabs some markers and crayons from the bin. He brings the supplies he recovered to the table, and begins to help Liam fold the paper.

As Scott finishes up cooking, Liam has drawn all over the card. On the front, Liam drew the whole family. He draws Scott, Mitch, himself, then Hudson, the couple's youngest child. He even adds Wyatt, the family cat.

"Papa, can you help me write in the card?" Liam asks softly.

"Sure buddy, what do you want me to write?" Scott asks as he sits next to Liam. He makes sure that Hudson is still comfortable in the carrier, and is pleased to find that he is fast asleep.

Liam's youthful face shows that he is in deep thought, and as he ponders, a bright smile appears on his face, and words begin to spew out of Liam very rapidly.

"You are the best Daddy ever! You are so pretty! I love you so so much!"

Scott giggles and writes in the card for Liam. Liam signs his name, the best as he can for only being three years old. Scott finishes up cooking, and puts in on a tray.

"Let's go, bud." Scott says and Liam follows Scott. "Shh, gotta be quiet; Daddy is probably still sleeping," Scott says as he and Liam start heading upstairs.

Scott and Liam arrive to Scott and Mitch's bedroom, and Mitch is still in deep slumber. Liam climbs on the bed, and Mitch stirs.

"Hey buddy, good morning." Mitch says in a raspy morning voice.

"Hi, Daddy! Happy birthday!" Liam says with a big smile, and commences in climbing on top of Mitch.

Mitch was stunned Liam knew his birthday: He never actually told Liam his birthday.

"Aww, thank you, buddy!" Mitch says as he hugs Liam, and presses a chaste kiss to Liam's forehead.

"Look, Daddy!" Liam says to Mitch, and points to the door.

Mitch sits up and puts his glasses on. Mitch looks over and sees Scott with a tray of food. Mitch grins. It's his favorite: An omelet with cheese, toast with nutella, and apple juice.