I'm happy for you (requested)

You shivered from the bitter cold air as you and Taylor stepped inside the cabin you were staying in for the weekend in Big Sur for a fun little trip. Both of your jobs have been keeping you busy and Taylor was thrilled to have the entire weekend with you.

She closed the door behind her and you shook the snow off of your jacket, listening to it crunch under your feet when you walked away. You took off your shoes and Taylor did the same, soon joining you on the couch.

"Are you cold?"

You nodded and Taylor was on her feet right away. She went to the fireplace and started to throw some wood into the fire. "Taylor, you don't have to do that." She lit it and then looked back at you. "Of course I do. You're cold and need to be warmed up." She threw a blanket over your shoulders and you soon got comfortable on the floor together.

You both went quiet. You watched the flames dance in the fireplace while Taylor just watched you.

"Y/n?"

You turned your head and smiled at her, unknowingly making her heart hammer in her chest. "Thanks for coming with me this weekend."

You put your hand on her arm. Taylor's breath hitched as she stared down at it, desperately wishing she could take your fingers and intertwine them with her own. "Don't be silly. You're my best friend! Plus, you've been so busy with reputation, it's nice to spend some time with you again."

She lowered her head at your use of the words 'best friend'. Yeah, you have been best friends for years now; you've formed an absolutely unbreakable bond. But Taylor is so in love with you and she's desperate to tell you that, but she can't seem to get the words out.

She wanted to change that this weekend. She wanted to tell you how she wrote reputation about you, about how much she loves you and how safe and happy you make her feel.

And she was so close. She swallowed the lump in her throat and looked at you. Your hair fell in your face, you looked so soft and snuggly with the soft blanket thrown over your shoulders and your messy ponytail in your hair. She was ready to stop holding back...

"Taylor?"

She hummed in response. When you looked back at her and saw her already staring at you, you just grinned. "I wanna tell you something important."

She nodded her head excitedly. Maybe you felt the same way? Maybe you were gonna go first and tell her how you felt.

"There's this boy," you began and Taylor could already feel her heart sink.

"His name is Liam and he works in my department at my job and I've been so in love with him for the past few months. He asked me out yesterday before I left but I haven't really given him a response yet. What should I do?"

She felt like a knife had cut right through her heart. What was she supposed to say? She couldn't just say how she felt anymore. Clearly, you were in love with someone else. You even said the words yourself. She felt so foolish for even thinking that maybe, just maybe, you'd feel the same way she does.

But clearly, you didn't.

"That's... wonderful. I'm happy for you. I'd say yes." She smiled as genuinely as possible, but it was the fakest smile she'd ever smiled before. She wondered if you could tell.

"Really?" You turned your cheek and bit your lip. You sounded almost disappointed by her response. "Oh. Okay. Thanks for the input."

Taylor just nodded. She felt like she could cry, so she cleared her throat and went back to the coat rack to grab her jacket. "Hey, I'm getting a little too warm so I'm gonna get some fresh air. I'll be right back, okay?"

She didn't even give you a chance to answer. She just opened and closed the door and put her head back against the door as she started to cry, wondering if she had even stood a chance in the first place.