"Doghouse" Nights...

Derek carried the large suitcase while Meredith pulled on the two smaller bags on wheels, and before they had a chance to knock the front door was swung open and Carolyn Shepherd smiled lovingly at them.

"Mom," Derek said as a lump formed in his throat.

"Derek," Carolyn said and reached out to embrace him, "welcome home."

Meredith stood and watched them, becoming very sentimental at her husband's obvious emotions over returning to his childhood home.

"Meredith," Carolyn smiled, "sweetheart...it is so good to have you here," and pulled her into their embrace.

"I've missed you," Meredith said, as the woman she'd been so reluctant to meet months before welcomed her with open arms, but most of all an open loving heart.

"I can't believe you're finally here," Carolyn said, when she pulled away to look at them, "Derek..." she tried not to get too sentimental, "it's been so long."

"It's good to be home Mom," he told her and hugged her tightly again.

"You're planning a long stay," she teased as she glanced at the large suitcase, "Meredith emailed me you were here for at least two weeks."

"Yeah," Derek played along with her, "we got the time off at the last minute, so you'll be stuck with us for two weeks."

Carolyn laughed, "he sprung a trip on you at the last minute again, and I heard you spent all afternoon shopping."

"Thank God for Kathleen," Meredith said, "otherwise...we'd have been here empty handed, and it just didn't seem right...after Derek hasn't been home for two years that he'd do that...right Mom? Kids would expect something."

"You're absolutely right," his mother said, her heart warmed by Meredith calling her Mom, and at the same time Derek drew his wife to him and kissed her temple.

"Nothing's changed Mom," Derek said he walked beyond the foyer.

"A few things," Carolyn said, "here and there, but every time I try to change things, your sisters and the kids complain they like it just the way it's always been."

"I agree with them," he said, "too many good memories...to change."

"That's what they say," his mother said. "Hopefully you won't mind the small changes."

"It's lovely," Meredith said as Derek held her hand and pulled her into the living room, "it feels so wonderfully homey...and comforting....just like a home should..."

"Thank you Meredith," Carolyn smiled, "I hope you will always think of it that way...and know it's your home."

"Mom," Derek said yawning, "when can we expect everyone to descend upon us?"

"Not till later," Carolyn told him. "I figured you'd be here around this time, so I finally told them, all except Jenna, that I imagined you'd had no sleep on the way here, so they are not supposed to be here before lunch time...and a late one at that. I said I'd have lunch ready for one o'clock, so you and Meredith can get a couple of hours rest this morning."

"Derek," Meredith said, "we're only here for a couple days...and you're going to spend it sleeping?"

"Must be the age difference," he teased her, "because it's four thirty in the morning as far as my body's concerned, and I'm beat...I'm going to get a couple hours sleep, you're going to wish you had them...once my four nosy sisters get here..."

"Derek," Meredith smiled, "you're dying to spend time with them."

"Come on you two," Carolyn laughed. "Meredith let me show you to your room..."

"Mom," Derek told her, "I have not been gone that long...I still remember how to get to my room."

"I certainly hope so," Carolyn said, "but I wouldn't be a very good hostess..."

"Mom," Derek laughed, "what do you have up your sleeve...did you suddenly bring out all my high school photos and put them out to embarrass me..."

"What an ungrateful child," his mother said, "and here I thought you'd be pleased to show your wife ..."

"Mom," he said suddenly serious, "you didn't...did you?"

Carolyn ignored him, and walked to his room and opened the door. She had not brought out his old photos, well, certainly not from high school, but things had changed, and she did want to see his reaction.

His old room had been completely made over; the mahogany sleigh bed similar to the bedroom he'd shared with Addison in New York was gone, as well as all traces of the last time he'd been there. In its place was a queen size bed of contemporary design in a walnut finish wood that matched two nightstands and a six drawer chest.

"Mom..." Derek looked at her, "what did you do...everything's changed...when...why?"

"It was time, don't you think?" she replied without providing any answers.

Meredith looked around, not sure what to think given his reaction; the changes she knew had taken him completely by surprise, and then he walked to the nightstand closest to them, and picked up one of three frames, and she saw the overwhelming emotions etched on his face, his lips pursed as he took a deep breath and closed his eyes.

"Ma..."Derek said, "thank you."

"I think," Carolyn said, not giving in to the powerful feelings she never failed to experience when she knew her children too felt the same way, "we still have time to make changes...if you two prefer something else."

"No," he said, "this...it's more than fine...but Ma...you can't spend this kind of money.
I can't believe you'd do this and not tell me...I'd have taken care of it..."

"No need for that Derek," she said, without revealing she'd had nothing to do with it.

"I had not seen this," he said as he picked up another frame, "in a very long time."

"It's one of my favorites, and I thought they belonged here now."

"It means a lot to me," he said and bridged the distance separating him from his mother and hugged her. "You have no idea," he said and looked over to Meredith.

"I think," his mother kissed his check tenderly, "I have a little bit of a clue," she smiled and turned to Meredith. "This," she said as she took the frame from him, "is my favorite picture of our family," and Meredith saw the identical emotions displayed on Derek's and Carolyn's face, "it was the last one we took....at Easter time," she said as she looked at the faded photograph of her husband and five children.

"Derek," Meredith said, "looks so much like his dad here..."

"He always has," Carolyn said, "so much more now than ever before."

"And this one," she took the first frame he'd held, "is another favorite, it's been by my nightstand for the last thirty some years," she showed Meredith a grinning toothless Derek looking up at his father who smiled indulgently as his son held up the two fish from his catch, "it belongs here now," she said, "though I admit I had a copy done...and one for Meredith...if she wants to take the original home."

"I'd love to have one to take home," Meredith said, as sentimental as them, "it's beautiful...thank you...for thinking of it."

"I was pretty sure you'd feel that way...so I knew...this photo belonged with you now."

"Mom," Meredith said, "are you determined to make me compete with Jenna...and become a second faucet."

"Oh sweetheart," Carolyn said and hugged her, "you've called me mom twice since you've been here...I think I may be the one competing with Jenna before your visit is over. Speaking of Jenna...and your sisters...I can make you a light breakfast if you want now, or when you get a couple hours rest."

"Mer..." Derek turned to her, "you want to grab a quick bite?"

"No," she said, "I'm going to have a quick shower ...I don't want all the airplane grime on our new bed," she smiled as she glanced over to the bed and what had obviously been a lot of effort to have his bedroom redone, and the fresh cotton sateen sheets and the fluffy comforter covered by a blue paisley print was too inviting to ignore.

"Meredith," Derek wrapped his arms around her when she came out of the shower, and he chuckled at the items in the open suitcase, "what would you have done...if they'd lost our suitcase? I bet none of it is covered by the airline."

"Buyer protection plan," she answered, "that's why I can never leave home without your American Express card."

"That," he teased her, "was so lame...Mer...really..."

"Stop being a scrooge..." she told him, "it's not like you, and the kids are going to be thrilled with what Uncle Derek got them."

"Uncle Derek...and Aunt Meredith," he said, and he saw that reality register as her expression changed, and she began fidgeting with her watch.

"They don't really know me...so I don't think...I'll be Aunt Meredith..."

"I know you will be," he kissed her lips softly, "because, they're already talking about it...and..."

"What are you talking about?"

"Kathleen's kids especially can't wait to meet you...they think you're great..."

"Right...and they think this because ..."

"Well, for one...if they don't already think so, they will after they get their early Christmas presents," he teased.

They're not early presents," she swatted him, "and you know it..."

"It sure feels like it to me...Mer...really, $ 700 ski boots..."

"They're for your goddaughter," she pointed out, "and she's a double black diamond skier...you can't just get her crap boots..."

"You know all this," he joked with her, "because her mother is singing her praises."

"Actually, no," she told him, "her grandmother sings her praises."

"Ah..." he said, "so Kathleen didn't tell you about that...I was surprised she'd give away one of her special Christmas gift items..."

"No, she did...but I already knew she was looking for the boots and had not been able to find them , cause your mother told me it would be part of her graduation gift, for graduating from law school this year...actually it's a trip that involves the boots."

"It was a good gift Mer, I'm glad you got them...but just so you know...I'd already planned on getting her a nice gift for graduation...she was my first godchild."

"That's good..." Meredith said, "and she's the first lawyer in the family...right?"

"Yes," he smiled, "she is."

"So, stop complaining."

"I'm not," he laughed, "just that boots, ice skates, three iPod shuffles, digital camera, two Barbie princesses, makeup, two videogames, My Little Pony stuff, and a pair of jeans I know cost close to a couple hundred dollars."

"They're Seven's," she shrugged, and sat on the bed and began rubbing body cream on her skin.

"Yes, I know," he said, "I heard plenty of arguments over those in the last few years, Mom was adamant it was ridiculous for that kind of money to be spent on jeans."

"It is," she said, "but you can afford it...and it's your fault I didn't have to shop for other things, so you didn't leave me many options when I had three hours...barely..."

"Mer...I don't care," he said and silenced her with a kiss, "the money doesn't matter."

"Yes," she rolled her eyes, "we've already had that argument in Switzerland...how you want me to spend your money."

"No," he told her, "the argument was more because I want you to spend our money...on things for you."

"Fine," she consented, "so we just spent a chunk of our money...on fifteen nieces and nephews...and I'll admit Kat's kids will probably be predisposed to liking me..."

"They are... because their mother has been to Seattle to visit twice...and they've seen the picture of our trailer...and you're the woman that doesn't mind living in the wilderness," he told her, "but most of all, especially her oldest, my first god child...because her mother told her you make me happy."

"Now it's the rest of the family I'll have to worry about..." she said nervously, "and any potential Aunt Margaret."

"Nothing to worry about," he told her. "What else did you get; I did see packages that were wrapped, so I didn't touch those."

"They're baby gifts," she smiled softly as she searched for what she was going to put on, "For your littlest goddaughter."

"Do you realize," he said tenderly, he'd walked up to her and held her, fully realizing how much all the baby talk affected her, "how very much I love you? How blessed I feel that you are part of my life..."

Meredith leaned in to him, resting her forehead on his, "after those photos, and now you...you Shepherds are determined to make a sentimental sap out of me today."

"I thought," he said, kissing her softly, "we've already established that..."

"That's you," she spoke upon his lips, "all you."

"Meredith," he pulled her closer to him, "if it makes you feel better...I feel like a sentimental sap too," he said, and he wrapped his arms around her, his body pressed against hers and he rested his chin on her shoulder.

"She included our wedding picture," Meredith said softly, and he sway gently with her in his arms, almost to a silent tune.

"A new beginning," he whispered, "our new life together..."

"The beginning..." she said, "of our lifetime..."

"Uhmmm..." his lips lingered on her neck, "for always."

"For always," she said and turned to look at him, "I love you."

"I love you," he said, and as their lips touched, unspoken tender words of love and commitment further sealed their vows.

The sound of a ringing phone startled them and they drew apart slightly, and he laughed, "I can't believe she still has that old black phone in here," and pointed to the dial phone.

"Are you," Meredith kissed him softly, and then tried to stifle a yawn, "going to join me for a nap?"

"I am..." he nibbled her lip, "but after the comment of grimy airplanes...I'm going to take a quick shower."

Meredith, he could tell by her light snores, was fast asleep by the time he joined her in bed, and she instinctively sought his warmth as he spooned her.

"Uhmm..." she heard a distant voice, then a quiet moan as she felt warm lips on the back of her neck and his hands doing all possible to make waking up a pleasure, and giggled when she realized it was her own.

"You laugh..." he teased her, gently biting her earlobe, "I try to seduce you and you giggle."

"I told you," she turned to face him, "no sex at your Mom's..."

"I can do quiet..."

"Maybe you can," she found his lips, "not sure I can."

"Let's find out," he said as he captured her mouth and made her forget all her intentions of abstaining, and he would tease her later, she had passed the test with flying colors.

"Mom," Derek said as they walked in the kitchen near eleven o'clock, "I've missed your breakfasts...it smells wonderful in here."

"Your favorite bread," Carolyn smiled, "sit down and I'll pour you both some coffee."

"Let me help," Meredith offered.

"It's all right dear, I can handle it. You're both guests today."

"Carolyn," Meredith told her, "I'm not offering to cook. I'm only going to pour coffee."

"You're right," Carolyn laughed, "you can pour coffee rather well."

"It's a good thing," Meredith said, "I'd met you before and know better, or I'd be thinking it's true about all those mother in law stereotypes ...and how awful you are."

"But I also know better," Carolyn chuckled, "don't I," she said and hugged her, "and you don't think that of me at all."

"Yes," Meredith said, hugging her back, "you most certainly do know better."

"Sit down," Carolyn said, "enjoy the calm before the storm," and sat down to enjoy the cup of coffee Meredith had poured for her as the three of them caught up on their lives, and it wasn't long before her words became reality.

"Mom," Kathleen called out, "we're here," and she and Nancy strolled into the kitchen.

"Why can't you do things quietly," Carolyn reprimanded mildy, "what if these two were still sleeping?"

"Then," Kathleen laughed, "we'd have woken them up," she shrugged, and walked over to her brother, and kissed his cheek," they're only here two days...so they don't have that luxury."

"Mer," Kathleen turned to her sister in law and hugged her, "I'm so happy you're here."

"Unbelievable," Derek smiled, actually delighted at the relationship between his wife and the sister he felt closest, his confidante, "I barely get a greeting and my wife gets a hug and so happy you're here."

Three of the women ignored him, and then he felt a hand oh his shoulder. "Derek," Nancy said, "I'm so happy to see you," and he heard the emotion in her voice and got up to face her, and felt the same emotions she did, as he found himself engulfed in a hug; and understood the significance of the rare demonstration of affection. "Welcome home Derek...it's so good to have you here."

"It's good to be here," he said, and he cleared his throat, "and I'm happy to see you."

"I've missed you," Nancy said. "Don't ever stay away that long again," the bossy tone was back, designed to cover the overly sentimental nature.

"Meredith," Nancy smiled at her, and kissed her cheek, "welcome again...to the family."

"Nancy," she smiled, making as much effort as her sister in law to start off differently than the first time, "I love being part of your family."

"Don't speak too soon," Nancy told her, "you haven't met the rest."

"Oh," Kathleen said, "but she'd already met the worst...don't forget..."

"Listen...you little ..." Nancy started to say.

"Girls," Carolyn smiled; it was all going to work out just fine.

"Kathleen, just because," Nancy continued, "you're jealous you weren't dubbed mchottie," and with those words and Meredith's laughter that first disastrous meeting between them was put into perspective and the past was put behind.

"Be honest Nance," Kathleen laughed, "you preferred the mcbitchy comment..."

"I've a reputation to uphold," Nancy said, "but you..." she said to Meredith, "should have stuck around the trailer that day...would have known who I was much sooner..."

"But then," Derek chuckled, "you'd never have been branded mchottie, which by the way, I can't believe you girls would like that ...independent professional women..."

"Are you kidding..." both Kathleen and Nancy said and started laughing.

"Derek," Nancy responded, "that's a compliment...past forty, tons of kids between us...and mchottie...and Mark still flirting with Kathleen ...it's priceless."

"Women," he muttered.

The five sat around the kitchen, easy friendly conversation took over, and his sisters and mother exchanged smiling glances each time either he or Meredith would reach out and touch or lightly caress the other. Then, the front door opened and as expected by Carolyn, within seconds turmoil ensued, as she heard her younger daughters' voices.

"Oh my God, Maggie..." Jenna said, "I can't believe you'd keep me in the dark...and drive over here, and something's wrong or Kathleen and Nancy wouldn't be here. Mom..." she called out, "Mom, where are you...Mom, are you ok?"

"Jenna," Maggie her sister said, "stop it, nothing is wrong...Mom just wanted all of us to get together."

"That's ridiculous, she doesn't just get us all together in the middle of the day...where is she, Maggie...you...you said Mom invited us for lunch, but not the Nance and Kathleen would be here... please tell me, someone's sick...or died..." and stopped short when her mother walked to the foyer.

"Jenna," her mother unaware of her daughter's minor panic, kissed Maggie who was closet to her on the cheek.

"Mom," she Jenna waddled up to her, "you're ok...nothing's wrong...why are Kat & Nance are here."

"Sweetheart," Carolyn assured her, "nothing's wrong..." and hugged her, "now, how are you feeling today," and linked her arms through hers and led her to the kitchen. "How's my granddaughter behaving," she asked as she placed one hand on her daughter's pregnant belly and smiled, "not too well," she said as she felt the baby's kicks, careful to do this before walking in the kitchen.

"She's kicking up a storm still," Jenna placed her hand over her mother's, "you'd think she'd slow down by now...since she doesn't have a lot of room."

"You never stopped till the every end," her mother reminisced. "Jenna, I may have a surprise for you."

"You mean," Maggie pretended not to know, "this wasn't just lunch with my younger daughters as you told me?"

"Maybe," Carolyn said, just as she pushed open he kitchen door, "technically rather...it is, because it also includes my newest daughter."

Maggie laughed, "technically, you're right."

Jenna stopped walking as soon as she saw her brother, "Derek..." her eyes misted and blurred, "Derek..." she said again softly, incredulously as she walked slowly toward him, "you...you're here..."

Derek closed the gap between them and opened his arms. "Jenna," he whispered as he kissed the top of her head and held her close, as close as he could, given her advanced pregnancy, "I've missed you..."

"Oh," Jenna began to cry, "you're here...you're home...Derek...I've missed you so much...and... don't every stay away again..." she said, and he just held her, "not anymore..."

"I won't..." he told her, "we won't stay away."

"Oh God," his sister wiped away the tears, and looked around the kitchen, "Meredith, you're here," she said, "I can't believe it...you came home...finally...I get to meet you," she said, and walked up to her sister in law, who was now standing and smiled, "welcome...to our family," she said, "I know you may not do hugs...but I do," she said and did just that.

"I didn't use to do many hugs," Meredith told her, "but being part of this family..."

"You get used to it..." Jenna smiled, as her eyes glimmered with tears "my husband did."

"That," Meredith said, "and becoming very sentimental...and teary eyed."

"Oh," Jenna said, "he hasn't become used to the teary eyed ...and I know everyone makes fun of me being a water faucet..."

"We don't," Meredith said.

Jenna laughed, "you don't have to make me feel better, I've known about that for years...and now, it's worse...even if I do have an excuse. Believe me," she said, and placed her hand on her abdomen, "you'll find out what it's like when you're pregnant."

Derek instinctively reached for Meredith's hand, and squeezed it gently while seeking her gaze, and each knew the other felt a lingering bit of sadness at what would have been; an exchange that did not go unnoticed by his sister Nancy.

Kathleen interrupted, changing the subject, "Mom, I'm starving...and I know it's all Derek's favorites, but hope you made..." her words were muted by an unfamiliar woman's voice, as the kitchen door opened and closed.

"Well," an older woman said, "Carolyn Ailene, what in the world were you waiting for, when were you going to call and tell us they were all here?"

"And you," another woman spoke, "Kathleen, what's your excuse for you not calling me?"

"Jenna and Maggie just got here," Kathleen responded.

Derek could not resist the words that came out of his mouth, "Aunt Margaret," knowing he was taunting his wife and she was likely going to kill him, and got up to hug the first woman that spoke. "Just go along with it."

"Aunt Margaret..." Meredith looked at him incredulously, "you said...there...wasn't."

"Derek Christopher," the older woman, who also happened to be wearing a modern version of a nun's headdress, "have you lost your mind...we haven't seen you in over two years, and you want to play games..."

"Aunt Margaret," he tried to keep from smiling.

"What the hell is wrong with you," she smacked the back of his head.

"She's a nun," Meredith turned to his sister Nancy.

"Mom's sister," Nancy told her.

"Oh...he's...a dead man," Meredith muttered under her breath.

"Aunt Margaret," Derek chuckled as he embraced her, "I've missed you too."

"Impertinent child," she told him, "Carolyn, you have the most disrespectful..."

"Aunt Maggie," Derek smiled, "or should I say, Sister Margaret, I want you to meet my wife, Meredith."

"I know who she is, Derek, I'm not senile, unlike you," she said and walked to Meredith. "You are lovely," she smiled, "just as my sister said you were."

"Your sister," Meredith turned to Carolyn, "is a nun...you never told me..."

"There's been a lot to talk about," Carolyn told her, "and didn't want to overwhelm you with more family, and she should have been an actress not a nun."

"Mom," Kathleen had now walked next to the other woman, "if I told you they were already here, you'd have done just like you did, and walked over here."

"Wait till the next time you want something from me, you'd think I'd deserve some small deference since I've had you in my home since you were three years old," the older woman said.

"Meredith," Kathleen said, "as you may have guessed, this is Kevin's Mom, Alice."

"It's a pleasure," Meredith said, "to meet you both."

"Dear," Derek's aunt said, "believe me the pleasure is mine...finally...he's found the right woman for him...and from everything I hear you two are meant to be together...and I'm delighted, never could stand that fake redhead, and I don't know what the hell's wrong with him, but I'm Patricia O'Reilley ...or Aunt Pat or Sister Pat...whatever people want to call me."

Meredith did not know quite how to react, and then Derek put his arms around her, "told you...no Aunt Margaret...."

"You..." Meredith pulled his arm away, "are an idiot...and insensitive...and totally ..."

"Brainless moron," Sister Pat said. "Derek don't you ever change?"

Meredith could not help but laugh; Carolyn's sister was an interesting character indeed.

"Meredith," Alice said, "I've heard so much about you, and so delighted to meet you, and that this boy has finally come home," and she went over to greet them both.

"Jenna, look at you," Sister Pat said, "don't you look beautiful and glowing..."

"Aunt Pat," Jenna allowed herself to be engulfed in a hug, "I'm as fat as a whale and there's nothing beautiful or glowing about me..."

"You're going to be blessed with a child," her aunt said, "you are absolutely beautiful and don't you forget it...it's a precious time in your life."

"And she should know," Maggie laughed as she went over to hug her aunt, "she had six kids."

"Ok," Meredith said, "you are all putting me on...but wait, you said you were Patricia O'Reilly but you're Carolyn's sister...so shouldn't you be Maloney..."

"No," Maggie said, "that's s her married name."

"Nuns can't be married, even I know that...without being Catholic," Meredith commented.

"My sister," Carolyn spoke, "had been married twenty five years and had six kids, when she became a widow, and fifteen years ago she became a nun, the order is still regretting accepting her."

"Derek," Maggie interrupted them all, "before these women so rudely interrupted us," he said, referring to Pat and Alice, earning an indulgent scowl from them, "I've not had a chance to say hello," she smiled and hugged her brother, "I've missed you....I'm so glad you're home."

"I've missed you too Mags...so much."

"Meredith," she turned to her sister in law, "finally...we meet..."

"Right before you ship the kids to us," Meredith smiled, and allowed herself to be hugged once more. "I'm glad we had the days off to be here."

"Does someone want to explain," Jenna said suddenly, "how it is everyone here seems to have known you were flying in...but me?"

"It was a last minute trip," Meredith told her, "so much so in fact I didn't know till yesterday afternoon."

"Derek..." Jenna told him, "you really are brainless...you can't keep doing that to her..."

"She's not complaining," Derek said, "right Mer..."

"Jenna's right, I haven't..." she winked at her sister in law, "just don't make a habit of it, and if you have one more Aunt Margaret..." she leaned in to whisper, "I won't care how quiet...we can be...you can forget..."

"You're bluffing," he kissed her, ignoring their audience, "you can't resist me..."

"Meredith," Maggie laughed, having heard just a bit of their whispers, "why don't you tell us what that Aunt Margaret bit was all about, I get the feeling Derek's in the doghouse," and surprisingly Meredith did, and as the family shared their first meal together, bonds that would last a lifetime were formed, and the easy banter and camaraderie amongst them would be one more of the pillars of a solid foundation in the marriage between two legendary lovers, fated to be together beyond this lifetime.