Only the future

Meredith and Derek arrived at the airport to find that during the cross over on the ferry, the flight's arrival had been delayed over thirty minutes and thus took the time to enjoy a much craved cup of coffee.

"You know we're having lunch right after we leave here," Derek teased her, as she enjoyed a slice of banana walnut bread.

"That's at the earliest another hour," she told him and broke a piece of the bread and brought it to his lips, "taste this, it's really good."

"Mer, it's all fat and sugar."

"Derek," she smiled, "you need to keep up with our home town, world famous, coffee store, no trans fat, all natural ingredients, and look...walnuts, that's healthy...right ?

"You're mocking me," he smirked at her, "blatantly so..."

"I am not," she smiled, "seriously...that's what they're advertising, taste it," she insisted, and he did.

"And you have so much free time to look at Starbucks advertising," he joked.

"Derek, we're there at least three times a week, how can you not look at all the little posters and things they've been promoting for months?"

"Usually," he leaned against the back rest of the chair, and smiled at her, their smile, "I'm too busy...looking at you."

Her laughter, as always, was music to his ears, "oh, but I do love you," she told him, reaching for his hand, "my mushy sentimental...very ...very sexy husband..."

"You think that's going to make me forget you're mocking me..."

"I know it will," she smiled and he was mesmerized by the look in her eyes, the vulnerability combined with the special twinkle that seemed to sparkle only when she was looking at him.

"Yes..." he said, bringing her hand to his lips, "it will," and she too was lost in his gaze, and they spent the next several minutes enjoying the lighthearted flirting.

Once they'd confirmed the flight's imminent arrival, they strolled through Sea-Tac's Terminal A, leisurely holding hands until they reached the area where passengers would eventually exit, and exchanged smiles at the antics of several children, evidently and impatiently, waiting for the arrival of grandparents.

"Derek," Meredith said, a gentle smile on her face as she listened to two little girls, a book between them, where the older one about 5 years old was making a story up as she went along.

"What..." he put his arm around her waist, pulling her closer and kissing her temple.

"We have so much to learn," she giggled.

"About..."

"Kids, Derek," she laughed, "earlier, we were talking about chatty ...rambling babies..."

"Yes..." he said, not quite knowing where the conversation was headed.

"Derek," she whispered, as thought it was the most important thing in the world, "babies...they really babble," she laughed, "they don't chatter or ramble since they don't really talk yet, so I think, "she teased, "you've been making up all that experience with fourteen nieces and nephews..."

"Making it up..." he said, enjoying their relaxed afternoon, "I'll have you know, I've spent plenty of time with those kids, and Mer...I know the brain...and its developmental stages...and..."

"You may know all that," she continued to tease him, "but when it comes to kids, brainless...totally," she gave him a quick kiss.

"Brainless," he repeated, "you know, I was required to spend more years in school and training than any other medical specialty..."

"Derek, you know what makes me happy..."

"What," he said, drawing her close to him, holding her hand still as he brought it to his lips, and they walked a small distance to glance over at the crowd walking toward the exit.

"You're going to be just as bad as I am, clueless...because, Derek, you should know and should have told me that babies don't chatter or ramble, kids do...older kids Derek," and they both burst out laughing, and totally and completely carefree she threw her arms around his neck and hugged him.

"I knew that," he chuckled, hugging her tightly, "of course I knew that," he muttered in her ear, and then kissed her quickly, missing the family's approach.

"Well," Carolyn Shepherd smiled as she witnessed the obvious happiness in Meredith and Derek, "I can't tell you how glad I am we had no kids with us," his mother said.

"You're here," Meredith exclaimed, "we just looked and didn't see you."

"I think" Kevin joked, "you forgot to look again, we've been standing here for five minutes."

"You have not," Meredith said immediately found herself engulfed in her mother in law's embrace, while Derek hugged his sister.

"Sweetheart," Carolyn said, "I'm so glad to see you."

"I'm so glad you're here," Meredith said, genuinely touched by Carolyn's affection.

"Derek," Kathleen smiled at her brother, "I love you, thanks for having us."

"Kat, it feels so right," Derek said, "having you here...this time...without..."

"Hey," his sister said, interrupting the mention of prior circumstances, "both times...it's wonderful to be here, it means a lot to me, that you'd want me here."

"I love you Kat," Derek told her, just as his mother looked over to him, "and we both want you here."

"Are you going to say hello to your mother?" Carolyn asked.

"I am," he smiled and bridged the distance to embrace her, "I love you Ma."

"Love you too Derek," she smiled, "and now...I have two excuses to visit Seattle, if we don't count Mark."

"You don't need any excuses," Meredith told her, "all of you are welcome anytime."

"Meredith," Kevin said as he reached her and kissed her cheek, "wait till they've been here a week before you make that offer again."

"You know dear," Carolyn said, "if your wife and I are such ...whatever you are implying," she reprimanded with a hidden smile, "you can always stay behind next time."

"Mom," Kevin hugged her, "I love you."

"That doesn't always work Kevin," Carolyn said seriously, "not for a son in law."

"Son in law," his face became serious at the old and meaningless threat, "you don't mean that...you know I was kidding."

"Can dish it out," she laughed, "but can't take it..."

"Old witch," he said, as he hugged her again.

"Lucky you've always been my favorite," she said indulgently, "you disrespectful aging brat."

Kathleen shook her head, "Mom...stop encouraging him, your other sons in law are none too happy with you."

"Kathleen, it's not a secret, Kevin's been like a son since you first brought him home, and that's been over forty years," she shrugged, "my sons in law, well...that's what they are."

"Over forty years," Meredith commented. "I didn't know that...how long have you two known each other? I'd assumed you were high school sweethearts the way you and Mark and Derek carry on."

"She brought him home when he was three years old," Carolyn beamed, "and we haven't been able to get rid of him since."

"I take it," Derek said, as he reached for Meredith's hand, and also grabbing his mom's bag, "you have luggage, since only Mom has an overnight bag."

"Oh sweetheart," Carolyn said, "there's tons of luggage."

"Tons of luggage?" Meredith laughed.

"A slight exaggeration," Kevin chuckled.

"Not in the least," Kathleen said, "he's got fishing and camping gear, and outdoor crap."

"And you," Carolyn said smirking at her daughter, "didn't pack two bags?"

"Stop defending him Mom," Kathleen smiled and linked her arm with her mother when they reached the escalator, always thankful for the relationship between her mother and husband while Kevin followed close behind them.

"Stop pretending you mind," her mother laughed, as the group made their way to the baggage area to collect the luggage.

"Kevin," Derek chuckled as they sat at SkyCity Restaurant at Seattle's Space Needle, waiting for the wine they'd ordered to be served.

"Derek," his mother said, "you really should not have done this, it's too expensive, a simple lunch would do. You've already paid for my airline ticket and stay here."

"Mom, you do realize I make a lot of money."

"That does not mean you have to squander it on frivolous things," Carolyn said, the years as a single parent to five children, all of whom went to college, ever present, "and you did not have to send me a first class ticket."

"Spending money on my family is hardly squandering," he smiled at her, "and besides, tickets to the observation deck are included, it's a bargain, and even if I wanted you to travel in the back, you daughter's way to spoiled for that, so I couldn't have you traveling alone."

"Damn right," Kathleen said, "I work damn hard for what I make, so does Kevin and...the money for the kids college education is already put aside, so, we're going to enjoy every bit of what we make, which is not squandering."

"Mom," Kevin spoke as his wife and Meredith exchanged smiles, "see what you started, it's probably going to cost me one hell of a shopping bill," he teased Kathleen, "and we know you like to complain about Shep, all of us really spending money on you, but it's getting old."

"Kevin," Carolyn warned, "you are skating on thin ice today."

"Oh, come on, you know you love being here, and we, none of us, including your sons in law, well with that one notable exception," he smirked, "have any issues spending money on you, or as my wife's American Express can attest spending money period."

"I feel like I never left home," Derek chuckled. "Déjà vu."

"Speaking of which, Derek Christopher," his mother said, "your sisters are driving me crazy, every one of them, except Kathleen since she's here, and I've been charged with getting a commitment before I leave as to when you are taking Meredith to meet them."

"Mom," Kathleen laughed, "real subtle."

"Nothing to be subtle about, and I'm not wasting time with covert innuendos about it, it's not my style. There, out in the open, and before I go home, in fact, I'd be grateful to you both," she fixed her gaze on Meredith and Derek, "if you could give me a date as soon as possible, so they can stop harassing me while I'm here."

"Mom, we're going to be there for the baptism," Derek said, and placed his hand over Meredith's.

"That is practically at the end of the year," his mother argued, "and don't tell me about how you're a surgeon, and Meredith's residency, I've given birth to five doctors Derek, I've been through this five times, you can get two days off together even it's the middle of the week, and fly home."

"Yes, we can," Meredith said, surprising them all. "We'll make sure to get back east before summer's over."

"Meredith," Derek spoke quietly, "we can wait."

"Derek's worried about me," she said bluntly, leaving everyone speechless by confronting the situation without any hint of avoidance, "about how I will feel, since Jenna's due date is so close to what mine would have been."

Each of the adults was affected in their own way by her statement. Kevin reached for Kathleen's hand, acknowledging their twenty year old private loss; Derek watched his wife with tender pride; Carolyn and Meredith exchanged misty glances as the older woman placed her hand over Meredith's.

"We are being very insensitive," Carolyn said, and cleared her throat. "I will speak to the girls, and we will not pressure you at all."

"Oh, no..." Meredith said, gently squeezing her hand. "Please, don't. We'll fly in this summer, and we'll let you know as soon as we can, but it may not be until a couple of weeks before, given my schedule. But, I want to meet everyone too and don't want to wait till the baptism, I'd rather we spend a couple days...in the summer...so when we go back I've met everyone already."

Kathleen and Derek exchanged smiles, though there was a hint of sadness as the siblings understood each other's common loss, but both recognized Meredith's emotional growth and strength since the day she and Kathleen had met just over three months before.

The waiter brought over their wine and the group enjoyed the brunch and the soon turned lighter conversation.

"A toast," Derek said, as they poured the first glass of wine. "Mom, Kevin, welcome to Seattle...to our home, and Kathleen, welcome back."

"May it be the first of many visits," Meredith said, marveling at the light flutter of her heart as she experienced happiness over the idea of family, her family, visiting often.

"Kevin," Derek chuckled, as the conversation easily changed from one subject to the other, "you guys checked seven bags. You do realize I probably have all the gear you need."

"To be fair, Derek," Kathleen interrupted him, and teased her husband, "one was Mom's and two were mine, so he only checked four."

"Shep, we haven't been fly fishing in years, no way in hell I'm going to give you any advantages, you'd probably give me your worst lures and flies and I need my lucky ones, and fishing poles need their own packaging, you know that," Kevin said, and Meredith exchanged glances with Carolyn and Kathleen and the three started laughing as the conversation between the men became more absurd in regard to the merits in the choices of fishing lures.

"Kevin," Meredith winked at him, "I would suggest you use a humpy red, best fly for rainbow trout."

"Meredith," Kathleen laughed, "you've got to be kidding me, you've walked to the dark side. You're talking about fishing."

"Not the dark side, Kathleen...not the dark side at all," she said with a secretive smile.

"Meredith," Kat smiled, "why do I get the feeling you're not talking about fishing?"

"Of course I'm talking about fishing," she said with a half smile.

"Kat," Derek said, "you two have more luggage than Mer and I did for our trip to Italy, and that included winter coats and boots and..."

"I'm not planning on spending it ...without clothes...most of the time," his sister teased.

"Kat..." Derek actually blushed, "Mom's here."

"Oh please," Carolyn smirked, the expression so similar to when her son and daughter did the same, "as though I don't know you have sex...especially still newlyweds."

"Not to mention hearing the lion tamer making the lion roar," Kathleen laughed.

"There was more than one lion tamer," Kevin whispered, not so quietly to his wife, "last time she heard that much roaring."

"Mom," Derek said, "I don't remember you letting them talk like this before...they have no self control."

"Sweetheart, you've been gone too long, it's always been this way."

"What she's trying to say," Kevin said without thinking, "last couple years you visited, you were more distracted and not doing a lot of roaring."

"No," Derek said shocking everyone, "that would more than likely have been Mark and Addison."

Everyone was quiet around the table, unsure how to react, though Meredith immediately lowered her head and began fidgeting with her bracelet.

"Hey," Derek said, reaching for her hand first and then kissing her softly, "I love you."

"I know," she said quietly.

"Meredith," Derek said tenderly, "I've told Mark...and you have to know... he was right, not what he did, what they did, but thanks to what happened, I found you...and just for that, even if there was nothing else he's done for us now... I'm grateful...fate had a way of leading me to you, and I don't regret any of it...because I'm here with you."

The other three adults felt like intruders, though in their own ways understood it was something that probably needed to be put behind them, the entire family had to move on, and the past had to be dealt with before moving on with the future.

"Shep, Meredith," Kevin said, "I apologize, I should not have said that."

"Don't apologize Kev, it was the right thing...at the right time, because, Meredith knows what I feel for her, what she means to me, and I know each of you do as well, and because of it, I could say that, truly...a carefree comment, nothing more...because the past is over and done with...and part of our growth...has been to get to where I can joke about it...because if Mark and Addison hadn't happened, it would have taken me that much longer to find the woman I was meant to spend my life with." Meredith and Derek locked gazes, "after all this time, I have no doubt, we would have found each other, because we've always been meant to be together, our fate...our destiny...for a lifetime."

"For a lifetime," Meredith whispered her gaze never leaving his, as she placed her lips on his, and then he brought her hand to his lips, "and beyond."

Derek chuckled, "and what fairy tale doesn't have a witch?"

"A wicked witch, Derek..." Meredith laughed softly, "don't forget...wicked."

"You two..." Kathleen said, "are really making me all sentimental...and", she paused and wiped away a tear.

"We're making you..." Derek smiled, "you've always been that way."

"I'm worse now, since I came out here...and Jenna's rubbing off on me, and don't say it..." she said to Kevin and smiled.

"I haven't said anything," he smiled back.

"But you're thinking it," Kathleen leaned into him, "and you know what..."

"What love," Kevin smiled at his wife.

"I wouldn't be unhappy either," Kathleen said, both referring to their teasing each other about her being pregnant, "ever."

"I know," he said, and kissed her softly, knowing their own family would remain complete as it now was.

"Speaking of kids," Derek said, "Ma, you said you were glad the kids weren't with you."

"First, let's get one thing clear...Addi, wasn't a witch..."

"Mom, I'll spare you," Kevin told her, "she was a bitch. Mer, just so you know, Mom and I never liked her."

"Thank you dear, it's not good to have a grandmother use that kind of language," she said with a deadpan expression that had her four children laughing.

"Kathleen," Meredith said, "why didn't you bring the kids, we thought they were as excited as Kevin about visiting Uncle Derek's wilderness."

"They were, but, we'd decided on the date and arranged for my patients, and Nancy's kids were going to camp for three weeks, her older ones as camp counselors and it's a really great camp but we hadn't signed the kids up this year because we'd already decided to take a family vacation even before we decided to come here. But, it seems the economy is really starting to affect things and they had plenty of slots open, and drastically reduced the cost, though that wasn't really an issue and our kids always love to go." She took a pause and laughed, realizing her long ramble, "so we shipped them all off yesterday and Kevin and I are going to take another week for ourselves, and then before school starts go away with the kids for a week."

"It's amazing," Kevin laughed.

"What is?" Derek asked.

"She's been here two hours and she's rambling..."

"I do that at home too," Kathleen smacked him lightly, "stop teasing."

"Where are you going?" Meredith asked.

"Fiji," Kathleen said, "second honeymoon."

"More like third or fourth," Carolyn laughed.

"Actually," Kevin said, "we lost count...Shep, life with your sister...always a honeymoon."

"Even," Kathleen said, "when we're fighting."

"Especially then," Kevin said and Carolyn laughed at the truth of the statement.

"Speaking of sentimental..." Meredith smiled softly.

"Oh well..." Kathleen laughed, "so what."

"Fiji," Kevin said, "is where I'd have taken your sister on our honeymoon, if we'd had the money for it, so now...after we spend a week here, we'll fly out, which by the way, Shep we'll need to make sure you're taking Mom to the airport, cause we're sending all the bags back with her, and Jenna's husband is going to be at the airport when she gets back home."

"Of course I'm going to take her to the airport," Derek said, "but let me get this straight, you brought seven bags out here, and expect Mom to take them back."

"No," Kevin smirked, "Mom checked a bag. Kathleen and I brought six bags, five of which are going back."

"Derek," Kathleen laughed, "you are not so brainless..."

"Ah..." Derek chuckled, "I was waiting for that...sooner or later..."

"Yes, Dear," his mother laughed, as they all continued enjoying the brunch meal.

"They're going to Fiji," Meredith said, "on another honeymoon, Derek, they won't need a lot of clothing..."

"So...you're joining them to embarrass me about talking sex in front of Mom."

"No," Meredith winked, "she knows about it."

"Five kids Derek," Carolyn quipped, "I know about these things..."

"So, Mom," Derek changed the subject, "you never said why you were glad kids weren't here."

"I'm forever telling them it's not proper to have such public displays of affection," she smiled, "and the minute I'm off the plane, the first thing I see is the two of you in each other's arms, of course it doesn't help their parents are the same."

"You really tell them that?" Kathleen asked.

"Of course dear, but always...remind them, that they will be very lucky if they feel just like their parents do...when they find the right person."

"Mom," Kathleen said reaching over to place her hand over her mother's, "it's what we saw, with you and Dad," and both women blinked away tears, "we learned that kind of love exists from you," while Meredith, Derek and Kevin felt the unique bond between mother and daughter and how they too were part of that familial love.

The waiter came over with a second bottle of wine and filled their glasses, as they continued to enjoy the early afternoon.

"You know Meredith," Carolyn said, "you really should let us in on what you two were laughing and so oblivious about that we had to wait five minutes for you to realize we had arrived."

"You did not wait five minutes," Meredith laughed, "but I'll still tell you, it had to do with your son being brainless and trying to convince me our children will need muzzles."

"Derek Christopher," his mother reprimanded. "How you could even think that, imagine what would have become of the five of you, if I'd muzzled you. Really Derek, I have never heard..."

"Mom," Derek laughed, "there were plenty of times you threatened to muzzle us, you still do in fact, you even threatened Cristina..."

"That's different," Carolyn said, "that girl needs someone to bring out the vulnerable side, which she refuses to admit exists, but you wait and see, she's going to fall head over heels one day and won't know what hit her."

"Don't let her hear you," Meredith said, "she'll think a curse you're sending her way."

"Oh," Carolyn said smiling, "but we Irish always include blessings in those empty threats we refer to as curses," she laughed, "we're a very sentimental lot."

"So, Derek," Kathleen taunted her brother, "you are already thinking of muzzling your kids, that can only mean you're expecting them to be as overly chatty as you were, still are in fact."

"I was not," Derek argued playfully, "you are the one that never shut up, as far back as I can remember, you've never shut up, I only say what's necessary."

"Stop bickering," Carolyn smiled, delighted to be with her two children, and their spouses both of whom in their own way special way had found a place in her heart. "You are not ten anymore, and you're my kids and you're Irish, of course you chatter...but, Derek never have I muzzled you and that is no way to raise kids, especially now Derek, you have to listen to everything they have to say, so you're on top of what is going on around them."

"Mom," Derek told her seriously, "Mer's lying."

"I am not," Meredith told him. "You're going to blame me for your ..."

"Mer..." he smiled, their smile.

"Fine," she said, "we're both lying," she said and all adults erupted in laughter.

"Would you care to tell the truth?" Carolyn said very simply.

"We were actually laughing at how both us," Meredith paused, "but Derek more so than I, since he claims to have experience with kids, were totally brainless," she said, and both she and Derek took turns telling the story about the conversation, including seeing Kelly earlier that morning.

"Actually, Meredith," his mother chuckled, "with you as parents, you will probably have chatty rambling babies."

"Thanks Mom," Derek muttered, but all the while smiling that the woman he loved could talk about his past without regrets or blame, and future babies, both secure that from this moment, only the future mattered.

They had finished dessert and Kevin picked up the tab as soon as it was brought and once that was taken care he and Kathleen rose from the table, "great brunch Shep, we're going to go the observation deck, meet you there in a few minutes."

"You were not supposed to pay for this," Derek argued.

"You're taking me fishing..." Kevin smiled, "and putting up with us for a week."

"We want you here," Meredith said, "and you're our guests, so you better stop doing this," she was firmly on Derek's side.

"You can pay for dinner," Kevin laughed and walked away.

"Mom, it's good to have you here," Derek said when they were alone.

"It's good to be here sweetheart, finally get to see where you live, and make sure there are no bears on that cliff of yours," she teased, "and you picked the perfect place for brunch, I've read there's a great view of Mt. Rainier."

"I thought you'd like that," he smiled, "it's a beautiful sight, Mt. Rainier to the south, Cascades to the east and Olympic mountains to the west, all rather spectacular with Puget Sound and ferry boats..."

"You always did love ferry boats," his mother reminisced.

"Still do..." he said, "when I'm with Mer..."

"Will be doing that later," his mother said, "on the way to Bainbridge I take it."

"We will, let you get some rest this afternoon, but it was such a clear day today, wanted to take advantage and bring you here first, especially since Mer's off today and we had not been here together."

"It is lovely sweetheart, but you know, more than the view or the place, I'm just glad to be here with you. Derek, Meredith, I'm so proud of you...both of you are really taking care of each other."

"We are," Meredith said, smiling at his mother, Derek's hand resting on top of hers. "I told you we would."

"Yes, you did," Carolyn said, and placed her hand on top of theirs. "I love you both."

"I love you too Mom," Derek said, and smiled as his wife leaned over to kiss his mother on the cheek and said, "thank you for being here," and that was enough, because each of them knew, without any doubts, that one day Meredith too would utter those same words.

They walked toward the observation deck and Derek told her, "Mom it's a great view at night as well, so we'll come back before you go home."

"Oh dear, that's not necessary."

"No, but you'll enjoy it," he told her just as she smiled and reached for her blackberry.

"Yes, Jenna, we got here," Carolyn smiled, "and we just had brunch at the Space Needle, in fact on our way to the observation deck right now and then heading to the ferry in a while so we can settle in, but you already know that, since I'd bet money...no," she laughed at her daughter's comment, "we have not seen Mark yet, so I've not been pulled into any betting pools, yes you can speak to her," she said and gave Meredith the phone.

"You're not fooling anyone you know, you're just nosy," Meredith laughed, "your mother was right, I think Kathleen's already told you they got here and what we're doing," she said and laughed again at whatever Jenna told her.

"You're milking it for all it's worth," Meredith laughed, "but, yes, she's already told us and we've already told her we'll be flying there this summer," Meredith smiled, "oh, she didn't tell you that...well, we are...we just don't know when that will be since we'll have to work around my schedule," she said and they spoke for a few more minutes, and Derek noticed but didn't say anything about the sudden sadness in Meredith's eyes, "yes, we'll let you know as soon as we can, yes, I'll let you talk to him."

"Sweetheart," Carolyn said, as she too had noticed the expression in Meredith's gaze, "you ok?"

"Yes," she smiled. "It's nice...to have family...it's a new experience for me."

"You're stuck with us...Meredith, and we couldn't be happier," Carolyn said and hugged her briefly as Derek finished the conversation and joined them to meet Kevin and Kathleen.

"Derek," Carolyn asked, "where are Mark and the girls? I hope we'll get to see them soon."

"You'll see them tonight," Derek told her, "having a barbecue at the trailer."

"Finally I'll see for myself what this trailer park is all about," she teased.

"Ma..."

"I'm kidding Derek," she laughed.

"What do you think Mom," Derek asked when they reached the observation deck, "isn't it a truly spectacular view?" However, he missed the glance and smile as her eyes rested on Meredith and him. Meredith standing in front of him, leaning back her head resting gently against him, as he wrapped his arms around her and looked out at the magnificent display of nature. Kathleen and Kevin standing near her, as her daughter's head rested on her husband's shoulder, his arms wrapped around her.

"It is beyond spectacular," she agreed, not talking about the view nature provided, but the love shared by each of the two couples at her side, but today in particular it was Meredith and Derek she marveled at. Fate she thought, and said a silent prayer, God knew what He was doing in bringing the two together, of that she had no doubts, "small miracles we take for granted."

"Irish," Carolyn Shepherd, spoke silently as she so often did, "what a view, not just the majesty of the mountains, but look at our kids...both of them happy...with their soul mates, like us...our first baby girl...and our son...both found what we had, and the others," she smiled misty eyed, "well you know all about the others too...but these four, Irish, they're lucky...so lucky, they have what we had...beyond a lifetime".