CVIII. Jealousy Wears the Colour Red, part 1

Unknown Ship – Heading for Pentos – Around the same time

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tyrion Lannister had been on top of the ship for around a week if his calculations were correct. He had been disguised and given a fake name for his protection, while he rarely moved more than the perimeter of the ship he had escaped with.

He tried talking with the sailors, getting some information from them but Varys had warned him not to draw too much attention on himself until they would arrive at their destination. Thus, this left the short Lion to mostly spend his time with Varys.

"Where are we going again?" he asked the eunuch as they sat on a crate.

"We are to pay a visit to an old friend of mine in Pentos, Master Illyrio" he reminded him and then noticed the face Tyrion was pulling. "You are not happy with our means of travel?"

Tyrion scoffed. "I am not happy with a lot of things. I have spent 7 days just replaying things in my mind and asking questions, I will most likely never get answers" he explained and let out a sigh. He glanced at his companion. "Did Cersei really have a plan to kill me?"

He was not that surprised when he first found out since she was furious about Joffrey and truly believed that he had done it. And Cersei, being Cersei, was not going to let it go so easily.

Of course, Tyrion did like to have the faintest glimpse of uncertainty. They had fought before many times, and there had been real threats between them but actually have him killed? Even when he had been declared innocent?

"She did," Varys said, snapping him from his thoughts. "Let me remind you that I am not a man who lies" he continued.

It was known to everyone that Varys never lied when asked a question. He could withhold some information or skip important details but he would never, openly at least, lie. It was what made him such a formidable ally but also a troublesome opponent.

The eunuch was observing Tyrion, who had seen better days. Despite the provisions on the ship, he had not bothered to save or cut his hair. It did work in their favour, however, because that way not many would recognise him; until they were in safer grounds.

"If I may ask, my lord" he started after a few moments of silence. "Why did you not kill Lord Tywin that night?"

Varys did not have a way to contact his little birds or find out any information about King's landing, not while they were travelling by sea. Only after they would arrive in Pentos, could he stretch his ears and get everything he wanted.

What he did know, though, was the fact that Lord Tywin was alive; for if he had died then even they would find it out rather soon.

Tyrion tried not to think about that cursed night too much but he often failed. With Varys bringing it up, he was forced to confront it whether he liked it or not.

"I had my chance and I took it, if that's what you are wondering" he started, looking at his hands. He could still feel the weight of the crossbow and how easy it was to pull the trigger and let the arrow fly. "However, my good-mother pushed him out of the way and took the bolt for him"

He had caught a glimpse of her with the arrow in her stomach, blood leaving the fresh wound as she stumbled back; only for Tywin to catch and keep her on her feet. He had to escape right after but that image of her with an arrow, an arrow that he had set loose...it was haunting him some nights.

Despite what she had done, she did not deserve to get injured that way; let alone for someone as unworthy as his Father. The arrow was meant for him and she should have let it do its job, for it would finally free them all from the tyrannical rule of Tywin Lannister.