Breakfast

He loved breakfast food more than anyone you'd ever met. Pancakes, waffles, omelets, everything. If he could smother it in maple syrup, then he was down to eat it.
On the day he was coming home from tour, you were kind of stumped on what to do. You knew you wanted to surprise him with something great when he got back, but you weren't sure what. You'd contemplated wearing your best lingerie and waiting for him on the bed but it just felt too cheesy and cliche.
But then you thought about how much he loved breakfast.
So when Calum came home that morning he found you in the kitchen, nearly every surface covered in pancake flour, your hair piled on top of your head. You were wearing one of his old cut up and holey band tank tops and a pair of shorts, cocoa powder smeared on your cheek where you'd rubbed it accidentally.
What are you doing?" He asked, startling you and breaking into a grin when you shrieked.
Making you breakfast, obviously," you teased after your heart rate had slowed, dropping the little mixing spatula you were using into the bowl and turning towards him. "Welcome home."
He chuckled, shaking his head and closing the distance between you, his lips meeting yours. He pulled away, pressing his forehead to your own, his thumb coming up to rub at the cocoa on your face. "Chocolate pancakes?"
You hummed, your arms slinging over his shoulders. "Yep. Hungry?"
Duke chose that moment to come tearing into the kitchen, his fur covered in flour as well. Calum's eyes followed the trail of little white paw prints into the hallway, his lips quirking up in a smile as he stepped away from you to lift up his dog and snuggle him. "Hey Duke, missed you, buddy."
Duke just yipped at him and licked his face, his little tail swinging back and forth.
I'm starving." He finally answered you, turning to see you'd started mixing the batter again. "Is there enough flour for the pancakes or did you use it all up when you were throwing it around the kitchen?" He smirked, wiping his finger over the countertop, Duke still in his arms.
You better watch it or you'll be covered in it too," you said, brandishing your spatula at him.
You both watched as batter dripped off the end of it and onto the floor.
"Nice one, babe."
You groaned, turning around to find something to wipe it up. "Hey, I was trying to make you breakfast. It's possible that this batter is no good though, I did actually kind of run out of flour." Your shoulders slumped. "I was so excited I kind of forgot that I can't cook." You wiped the chocolate up with a sponge as Calum put Duke back onto the floor.
You sighed, turning back to the sink and feeling like a complete failure. You'd just wanted to do something nice and you'd pretty much ruined it all.
Calum came up behind you, his arms wrapping around your waist. He kissed your neck and pressed his nose into your hair. "Hey, at least you didn't burn anything."
You turned your head to glare at him.
What I mean to say is thank you, this was really sweet of you. You tried to make me something you know I love." He squeezed his arms around your middle. "I missed you so much."
You rolled your head to the side, a smile playing on your lips. "I missed you too, baby."
Come on. Let's clean up and take a shower and we'll go to IHOP." He said, reaching around you to turn on the sink.
You chuckled. "You mean IHOB?"
Don't even go there. I don't even want to talk about that." He pouted, gathering up the dishes on the counter.
And even though your plan had turned out to be a disaster, the smile on his face as he helped you clean up the mess you'd made was enough to make you feel like you'd done a great job welcoming him home anyway.

written by: h0tsos