Chapter 24: The Cup Overflowing

Initially takes place during Harry's fourth year

There was a Cup in the Teacher's Lounge at Hogwarts.  As far as appearances go, it was rather plain and unassuming.  It started off life at Hogwarts as a simple water cup, a basic vessel for the humblest of liquids.  Yet in time, it became something more.

It found a new purpose when it was used to hold a few coins.  The coins, donated by the professors at the school, were a bet.  The professors had much to bet about of course, as a school would have plenty of reasons for the instructors to bet.  The newest and strangest spell catastrophe, the funniest overheard line said between students, the most egregious lie for not doing homework, the most absurd answer on a test.  However, none of those categories were ever important enough to use the Cup for.

When students overhear their professors talking about 'the Cup', more than a few assume they talked about the Quidditch Cup.  Most of the time, they would be right.  While McGonagall was the most enthusiastic Quidditch fan, fanatic some would say well out of hearing, all of the Heads of House liked to see it and rib each other for who held it.  Earlier this year, the Cup could have been a reference to the fabled Goblet of Fire.

However, for the professors, when they talked about the Cup, they referred to the one that never left their lounge.  It was something that made them laugh, made them cry.  It started so many arguments and ended many more.  As long as the school had students, the Cup would always have a purpose.

The full name of the Cup was: The Matchmaking Cup.  And it would be well used this day.  The Yule Ball had been announced and money would change hands and predictions be made with plenty of lively discussion.

Sprout tucked the handful of coins into her pocket.  "I told you.  George is always looking at her rear.  Especially when his mind wanders."

"I suppose I am usually yelling at the pair of them together," McGonagall said ruefully.  "Whenever I see the twins around Johnson, they are playing Quidditch or they are being scolded so I do not notice."

"I'm surprised that he can let his mind wander in the greenhouses," Flitwick chuckled.

"The twins are pretty good with plants," Sprout said.  "I think they have a large garden at home so they are comfortable with their work, work fast and well enough.  I think it's endearing and clearly she enjoys the attention so I never thought to put a stop to it."

McGonagall huffed at that and the others snorted.

"But, I have a new offering for the Cup," Sprout said with a wide smile and everyone turned to look at her, interested.  She put a Galleon in.  "Mister Potter and Miss Delacour!"

"Surely not!" Flitwick said.  "Truly?"

"Oh yes!  You should see how she looks at him when they are on the grounds.  She seems rather taken with him.  And he can hold his own when he speaks to her.  No vacant drooling from him.  He's made from sterner stuff!"

"Considering how his father drooled over his mother, you know where he got his sterner stuff," McGonagall said fondly.

"Lily of course," Flitwick smiled.  "She did resist him for many years."  He shook his head.  "I don't know if I agree with you on this one Pomona.  I think you are allowing your romanticism to get the best of you."