Chapter 82: Dish Best Served

Takes place after chapter 79

"He must be a real dick for you to be this upset."

Hannah flushed and looked at her husband.  "Sorry."

"Nah, don't be."  Ron kissed her warmly.  "You're one of the nicest people I've ever met.  You literally get along with everyone.  So for this guy to cheese you off, he must be an arse."

Hannah sighed.  "I know everyone's entitled to an opinion, especially on food, but his marketing is basically 'Don't eat at the Cauldron, eat here instead'."

Ron frowned.  "And what does he serve that's so special?  Does he serve different kinds of food?"

"No.  Apparently he serves food that's supposed to be 'better'.  Ginny brought some of it over one day and I swear he just tries to guess what we make and just adds a bunch of fat and salt to it to make it taste richer."  She looked at Ron as he got out of bed and started pulling clothes on.  "Where're you going?"

"To have a talk with this bloke and about him being a dick."

Hannah laughed and pulled him back.  "While I know you can duel him under the table, it'd be bad for many reasons."

"What if I ask some of our regulars?" Ron grumbled.

"I know a lot of them actually would do something but I don't want to handle it like that."  She sighed once more.  "I wouldn't normally care but it needles me to have our place used like a whip stick like that.  We work hard here and we have honest comforting food here."

"Hey I'm all for fair competition too but this guy isn't being fair."

Hannah shrugged.  "No he isn't.  We'll figure out a way to get back at him, but we got to be smart about it."

Ron sighed and hugged her to him.  "Are you sure I can't ask about?  I'm sure Tenley and Fellows would help."

Hannah smiled into his shoulder.  "Siccing Aurors on him for badmouthing us wouldn't be right."

"But it'd feel good," Ron chuckled.

-0-

A few days later Ron walked into the kitchen holding a piece of parchment.  "Hey, look at this."

Hannah took it from him.  "Oh a Diagon Alley open stall event.  Stores can set up a stall in the new square to show off their wares.  That's fun."

"And look here."  Ron pointed.  "There's going to be a competition.  Groups of stores can compete on their things and the winners will get a bit of money and some marketing and things."

"We win the inn competition considering we're the only one," Hannah laughed.  "Not sure if we want to compete with the other bars or pubs though for drinks and the like."

"No, but we can compete in the food one."

Hannah looked thoughtful.  "I guess so.  We can serve up some favorites or do some new ones for it."  She narrowed her eyes.  "Hold on, you usually don't care about competitions that don't involve Quidditch all that much.  What are you thinking?"