Chapter 128: Pressure Unwarranted

Takes place around Chapter 37

Fred lowered his glass and looked quizzical.  "I'm sorry, what?"

Great-great aunt Muriel Prewett sniffed, looking up at Fred with undisguised disapproval.  "I'm the one that should have hearing problems, not you."

"Right, sorry."  Fred cleared his throat.  "I'm sorry, what?" he repeated, much more loudly and slowly.

Muriel glowered at him.  "You're not funny, you know."  She sniffed at Fred's bristling.  "I said, when are you going to do something with your life?  You're falling behind your siblings, you know."

"And how do you figure that?" Fred asked, incensed.  "George and I are running one of the rising star stores in the United Kingdom!  We're one of the busiest stores on Diagon Alley proper!"

"Sure, as if being a businessman is anything to be proud of," Muriel said sarcastically.  "Bowing down before any Tom, Dick, and Harry and depending on them for your livelihood.  Where's your pride?"

"I have plenty, thank you, and I'll thank you for not speaking bad of Harry's," Fred said, holding his glass in a tight grip.

"Whatever.  And need I remind you that you and your brother are running the business?  You can't claim it all on your own."

"I didn't and won't!"

"And not to mention that George owns a home and has a family too," Muriel continued, ignoring Fred's outburst.  "He already has a child and more on the way.  What's keeping you from doing your familial duty?"  She drained her glass of strong liquor.  "At least Ronald and Ginerva have significant others."

"Yeah?  And what's Bill and Charlie's and Percy's excuses?" Fred said, voice rising.

"William and Charles have proper professions at least," Muriel said.  "Percy, well, at least he will have a stable career.  In my day, even the sly had families and children to do their duty."

"And that is quite enough of alcohol," Molly said, bustling over and removing the bottle from Muriel's grip.  "I warned you the last time, great aunt, that if you can't be civil, then you can't be drunk."

"I am being civil," Muriel retorted angrily.  "I haven't raised my voice at all and mind my language.  I'm only saying what everyone is thinking and no one has the balls to bring up to spare sensitivities."

"I thought you were minding your language," Molly sniffed.  "Go on, Uncle Ralph and Aunt Belinda are outside."  She gently but firmly shooed Muriel away, resting her hands on her hips and shaking her head.  "I'm sorry dove," she said to Fred, smiling at him.  "You know how she gets."

"Boy do I," Fred muttered.  He looked surprised when Molly topped off his glass with firewhiskey and poured herself a measure.

"We need it," Molly said and drained hers in one easy swallow.  "And we're going to need more of it.  Come on, help me bring it out and we can open the first one together."

"I'll be out in a bit," Fred said, plastering a smile on his lips.  "Going to wait for her to forget about me for a sec."

"Let's hope she finds something else out to irritate her then, otherwise she'll gnaw that thought through the bone to the marrow," Molly sighed.  She hugged Fred and walked out of the house.