Chapter 64: Scared Stiff

Takes place after chapter 50

"Protection and defense obviously.  Stone and earth for stability and to shore up the protections."  Hermione looked over the runic array she and Harry made together.  "Why did you include lake?"

"Absorption," Harry said.  "To diffuse."

"Oh that's a good idea," Hemione hummed.  "Plus it's also a stabilizing factor as long as we separate it from earth.  We can use sun to tie them together."

"That should work," he agreed.  They finished writing out the array on parchment and he stuck the parchment to a post.  "Alright, go for it."

Hermione pointed her wand and cast a stunning spell at the parchment.  The runes flared brightly and the spell dissipated without damaging the post or the parchment.  "Diffuses quite nicely.  The parchment isn't showing any damage.  Your turn and make it something stronger."

Harry shot burning sparks into the parchment followed up with a Shocking Jinx.  The runes shone even brighter and the parchment wrinkled a little but no damage was done to it or the post once more.  "I think that works."

"Especially since everyone else won't have their wands," Hermione said, looking satisfied.  "We should still move everything breakable out of the room however."

"Do you think that this is a really bad idea given how much work we're putting into this?" Harry asked wryly.

Hermione half-shrugged and giggled.  "I mean, yes and no.  It'll be a lot of fun I think and we want to make sure nothing bad happens.  It'll be worth the effort and at least we can reuse this in the future."

"How's it going you two?"  Jean walked into the garden and handed two glasses of water to them.

"Going well, thank you," Harry said, accepting the glass and drinking.  "I think we managed to work out the major protections for the room."

Jean clapped her hands.  "I'm so excited!"

"We know Mum," Hermione smiled.  "You've been talking about nothing else for days."

"I know, I've been the one talking," Jean laughed.  "Thank you for going through all the effort dears."

"You're welcome.  I'd feel super bad if we accidentally damaged anything," Harry said.

"Oh I found this by the way."  Jean walked back to the house and revealed a large fluffy pink pillow.

"Mum!" Hermione cried, snatching the pillow away.

"That's Hermione's hiding pillow," Jean said to a bemused Harry.  "For her to hide behind when things got scary."

"Not a word Harry," Hermione said, mock glaring at him.

"I've only a few words," Harry laughed.  "Adorable comes to mind."  He ducked as she swung the pillow at him.  "Oh hey, that's an idea actually.  What if we put absorption and attraction runes into pillows and handed them to the others."

"To take in accidental magic like a lightning rod.  That's a really good idea!"  Hermione beamed.  "That'll work nicely and help provide more protection."