Chapter 138: Mirror Mirror

Takes place before chapter 139 of Family

"Hey Harry!"  Sirius smiled at Harry's image in the small mirror.  "What's up?"

"I had a question.  How did you get the two-way mirrors?" Harry asked.

"Your dad and I made them," Sirius said proudly.  "We were thinking of a way to communicate on the sly since a popular detention was to separate us.  I think McGonaMum said that if we were in detention together, the person watching us for the detention was the one being punished and not the other way 'round."

Harry snorted.  "That's funny.  Do you remember how to make them?"

"Honestly?  Not off the top of my head.  But I'm sure I could probably figure it out again.  Actually, I'm pretty sure I have the notes somewhere.  You want to make some more?"

"If it's possible.  I thought it'd be a good gift for Hermione and her parents and Auntie Andi," Harry said.

"Yeah you're right.  Not to mention if we figure it out proper like, we might be able to make it a thing for sale and the like.  Let me go poke about and look for the notes.  See if you can come by one afternoon and evening and I bet we can figure it out.  Let me get Remus in on it too.  He might have helped us way back."

"Thanks!  Sounds like a plan."

"Sure does!  It can't be that hard if James and I did it when we were kids," Sirius laughed.

-0-

"I take it you were unsuccessful?" Remus asked dryly.

"What?  No, I found my stuff.  I'm surprised it wasn't burned to ashes or something like that," Sirius said.  He saw among piles of parchment and notebooks and dust and debris.  "The problem is that none of it was really organized and all my stuff from all seven years was mixed together, so I'm trying to find the relevant bits."

"Sounds like you," Remus snorted.  He opened a notebook.  "Ah, this was from fifth year."

"How do you know?" Harry asked.  He and Remus had left Hogwarts for the afternoon for Grimmauld when Sirius told them that he had found his things.  Harry brought his mirror as well as his rune kit.

"Because there is a drawing of Felicity MacDonald in this notebook," Remus said with a small smile.

"Oh right, we dated during fifth year," Sirius smiled.

"I didn't know you drew," Harry smiled.  "Can I see?"

"You shouldn't, it is rather risqué," Remus said and closed the notebook.

"Oh yeah, I did that too," Sirius said with a sheepish expression.  "In my defense, she wanted to be my model."

"I recall," Remus said.  He picked up another notebook.  "Oh wait, I think this has promise."  He showed the other two.  "Pictures of the mirrors and some diagrams."

"Yeah, those are it!"  Sirius took the notebook and put it on the table, opening it completely.

"That is some messy handwriting, and for me, that's saying something," Harry grinned.