Chapter 44: AU: A Book Wyrm's Hoard, Part 3

Starts on September 19th of Harry's sixth year

"Hi there!"  Hermione wrapped Harry in her arms and kissed him sweetly on the lips.  She then rolled her eyes at an audibly gagging Ron.  "You sound remarkably like Crookshanks when he's coughing up a hairball Ron.  Do you need to see Madame Pomfrey?"

"Nah, if I was suffering, I'd just ask Harry.  If you two weren't busy snogging that is," Ron said back.  "Then again, he just might let me kick it if you two were snogging."

"We weren't snogging," Harry protested.  "And I wouldn't let you die, I don't think."

"Thanks mate," Ron said flatly.

"You're just jealous you don't live in the same area as Hannah," Hermione sniffed.

Ron blushed deeply.  "That's an outrageous accusation."

"And that's a big word for you," Harry grinned.

"Ugh, that's the worst part about you two getting together, gang up on me all the time," Ron complained, shaking his head.  "It's not fair."

"The other day you two were giving me the business about my fall during practice," Harry said.  "You even made dramatic reenactments."

"It was very funny," Hermione said apologetically.  "And I did make up for it later."

Ron smiled.  "Oh yeah, forgot about that.  That really was funny."  The three friends chatted some more before Ron left, walking faster when Hermione told him to say hi to Hannah for her.

"Hey, walk with me," Harry said.

Hermione followed willingly, threading her fingers through his.  "A bit early for us to patrol," she remarked.

"Well I wanted to give this to you first," he said after leading her to an unused classroom.  With a flourish he gave her a wrapped box.  "Happy Birthday!"

Her smile was wide and bright.  "Aw thank you!"  She undid the wrapping eagerly, looking at the polished silver box.  "Oh my, this looks really expensive."

"It wasn't bad and I wanted to get you something I think you wanted."

She opened the box and nearly dropped it, shocked by the contents.  A gleaming silver watch sat on crimson velvet.  The metal shone and when she picked it up, it tingled in her hands.  The clock hands clicked softly as they moved, a shiny black against the marble white watch face.  A length of fine chain also sat in the box alongside a leather strap.  On the back of the watch, an open book with dragon wings was etched into the metal.

"I know you find some wizarding traditions silly but I know you always wanted a watch like that on your seventeenth birthday," Harry said as she stared at the watch.  "It's not very big but I thought you would like it.  You can use it as a pocket watch with the chain or attach it to the strap for a wristwatch."  He rubbed his neck at her continued silent gaping.  "D-do you like it?  I didn't misstep, did I?  I know it's usually from family but since it'll be a while before you see your parents again, I thought you'd like it."

"I love it," she whispered, cradling it to her chest.  "Thank you so much Harry."

His smile exuded relief.  "Thank good-"