Chapter 147: Independence

Takes place after Chapter 140 of Family

"So how’s practice been and working with the new team?” Sirius asked.

“Fun and exhausting,” Harry said.  “Not as hard as some of Captain’s practices but still really intensive.  Been doing a lot of full work outs and then personal training and drills after.  They’ve been really nice though and I’ve learned a lot.”

“Master Harry works too hard,” Kreacher complained as he served Harry breakfast.  “Kreacher finds Master Harry passed out and asleep in sitting room after falling out of Floo.”

“Really?” Harry said, his eyes wide.  “I’ve been assuming I made it back to my room.”

“Kreacher’s been taking you up there,” Sirius smiled.  “I’ve seen you passed out on the floor a few times before I get you up there, if Kreacher hasn’t done it first.”

“I’m sorry for making you do that,” Harry said apologetically.

“Kreacher does not mind serving Master Harry,” Kreacher sniffed.  “But team works Master Harry too hard if he is that tired.”

“Skye is really far, even for Floo and Apparation,” Sirius said.  “Practically on the other side of us down here in London.  Basically the far north of the United Kingdom.”  He looked at Harry kindly.  “Now don’t think I’m trying to kick you out or anything because as long as Grimmauld exists, you have a home here, and even if it doesn’t you’ll have a home wherever I call home.  But have you thought about having a flat in Skye?  Somewhere to rest when you’re too tired to travel?”

“No, I haven’t,” Harry said honestly.  “Because magical travel isn’t usually that bad but it might be nice, or more convenient.  Mind if I think about it?”

“Of course, and like I said, you have a home here no matter what,” Sirius said.  “Just wanted to try and make things easier for you.”

“Thanks,” Harry said gratefully.

“Andi and Tonks would kill me if I suggested you leave permanently,” Sirius said with honest acceptance, no trace of exaggerated jocularity.  “Not to mention I’m sure Kreacher would do something.”  He exchanged cool looks with the House Elf.  “Kreacher, did you get rid of all the poisons from when we moved in?”

“Yes Bad Master,” Kreacher said as he walked by.

“Good,” Sirius said.  He frowned.  “Kreacher, did you get new poisons after we moved in?”

“Kreacher does not recall,” Kreacher demurred, making Harry snort and Sirius look concerned.  “Kreacher will check later.”

“I better stock up on antidotes,” Sirius muttered after Kreacher left the kitchen. 

“I’m pretty sure Kreacher won’t poison you,” Harry smiled. 

“He’s done it before,” Sirius countered.

“Kreacher,” Harry said when the House Elf returned, “please don’t poison Sirius.”

Kreacher stood there for a moment, ears twitching as he stood in deep thought.  “Yes Master Harry,” he said finally.  He gave Sirius a sour look before he left once more, grumbling to himself.