Chapter 103: Assurances

Takes place after Dahlia's birth, and about a year and a few months after chapter 30

"Healer Chang, would you be willing to take a new patient?"

Tina Chang looked up.  "To act as primary pediatric healer?  Sure, I haven't had a new one in a while."  She accepted the chart.  "Why me?"

"You were asked for," the Medi-wizard said.

"By the patient's parents?" Tina asked, eyebrow raised.  "I can't think of anyone that I know that would ask for me and that has a child."

"You were recommended by them and by a colleague."  The Medi-wizard smiled.  "I won't say who just yet so you can't panic or feel any strong feelings one way or another."

Tina snorted.  "Fair enough."  She read the name on the chart.  "Oh!  Huh, well this will be interesting."  She walked down the hall in St Mungo's pediatric wing and knocked gently on a closed door before opening it.  "Hello!"

Harry looked up and smiled.  "Hello there.  I'd get up but I'm a bit hampered right now."

"No problem at all," Tina smiled.  "Hello Dahlia.  My name is Healer Chang but you can call me Healer Tina if you like, or just Tina.  How are you?"

Dahlia buried her face into Harry's chest, squirming closer to him.

"Sorry," Harry said weakly.  "She's really shy with new people.  She's also a little miffed right now.  She was expecting to see someone else and isn't too pleased about it despite saying we will visit right after."

"Don't be sorry," Tina said soothingly.  "This is a common first response and it doesn't bother me at all.  I take any time where they aren't crying loudly and screaming and throwing things as a good thing.  Though I never begrudge them if they are crying or screaming.  Part of the healing trade."

"She's really good about not screaming and throwing things," Harry said proudly.  "Dally, Healer Tina is really nice and she comes recommended by Grandma and Nana.  Will you be my brave girl?"

Dahlia slowly turned and faced Tina.  "Hi," she said shyly at last.

"It's so very nice to meet you," Tina said.  "You have pretty eyes, just like your father's."  She gasped when Dahlia smiled brilliantly, eyes open and wide.  "Look at that smile!"

"That's my girl," Harry praised and kissed Dahlia on the crown of her head.  "Healer Tina is going to do your check up and make sure you're healthy."

"No shot," Dahlia said hurriedly, looking up at Harry with worry.

"Shot?" Tina asked, growing concerned.  "Do you think someone is going to shoot you?!"

"She thinks she might get a shot," Harry explained hurriedly.  "With Muggle needles.  An injection."

"Oh!  Don't worry Dahlia, no shots today.  Shots at St Mungo's are very rare and I don't think we will need one for you, okay?"  Tina smiled when Dahlia relaxed and smiled up at her.  "There we go."  She began casting a series of charms over Dahlia.

"She has a Muggleborn and a Halfborn auntie," Harry said.  "I think they were trying to help her feel better about today and she latched onto something a bit unpleasant and worrisome for her."