The Illusion of Truth

Some days ago---

Ash sat on a chair opposite of Lawrence. They were inside their house back in Pallet Town. The two were alone. "Hey Dad--- I never understood how the Bond Phenomenon really works." He said, looking at his hands.

"What do you mean, kid?" Lawrence asked, taking his eyes off of the book he was reading.

"Like--- I managed to trigger it first with Greninja--- but why couldn't I do it with Pikachu? Pikachu and I go way back--- he was my first buddy. Why didn't he ever trigger it?" Ash asked.

Lawrence thought for a second. "It has to do with the feelings of the Pokemon." He replied.

"Feelings?"

"I was Pikachu's first trainer. Or rather, I still am." Lawrence said. "I raised him from the time he was a Pichu. Then, like you already know, I attempted to modify his memories and leave it in Professor Oak's care so he could someday hand it over to you." He added. "But---"

"But? But what?"

"I'm not good at properly modifying memories. No normal Auranian is. Even Psychics have trouble being completely precise." Lawrence said. "The only people known to be good at it was Sir Aaron. And he handed over that gift to you before leaving this planet." He added.

"Yeah, but--- what do memories have to do with Pikachu's ability to trigger the Bond Phenomenon?" Ash asked.

"It's a bit complicated." Lawrence said. "But to put it simply, a Pokemon cannot Mega-Evolve or get a sort of 'Bonded form' like your Ash-Greninja until its Aura is bonded to just one trainer." He added. "A transformation can't be triggered."

"Aura getting bonded?"

"Like you already know, everything in this world has an Aura. The living things have a more intense and powerful one, but us Auranians have an Aura that is leaps and bounds ahead of the others, allowing us to wield it in combat, use it to connect to others' hearts, and transform our very molecular structure." Lawrence said. "The powers of Aura rely a lot on emotion. And because Pikachu's memories weren't properly modified to forget me, he still sees me as his first Trainer, and you as his second." He added. "Unless Pikachu's Aura doesn't break off the bond it has with me, you can never achieve a bonded form. No matter how close the two of you are."

"What about Crystallization?"

"It works on the same principle of emotion and brainwaves, so it's bound by the same laws. If a power requires a bond between you and Pikachu, you can't use it."

"Okay, so--- what do I have to do in order to achieve these powers with Pikachu?" Ash asked. "How do I make his Aura bonded to just me instead of us both?"

"You have two options, Son---" Lawrence said. "You can either attempt to erase Pikachu's memories so his Aura eventually forgets me, taking the risk of the already altered memories getting wiped, or---"

"Or? Or what?"

"Wait for the day I die." Lawrence said.

"Wh-What?"

"To put it simply: The day I die, Pikachu will unlock the Bond Phenomenon."

...

*Intro*

Narrator: "After the victory in the first round against Ruyter, our Hero has continued on to the second, and possibly last round in this tournament Final. We now join him, as the round begins---"