No Way Home

"Oh." Gwen said, blinking. "I suppose that's fair."

"I'm glad you understand. I'm truly sorry, but those without any talent for magic cannot be allowed to attend class here, female or not." Crowley smiled reassuringly. "There is no need to worry. The Dark Mirror will send you directly back from whence you came."

Crowley led Gwen back in front of the mirror. "Enter the Gate, and picture your home clearly in your mind..." He instructed.

Gwen paused, racking her head. Home? Where was that again? Gwen tried to think. Her name was Gwen Brookes. Her eyes were blue. She loved having her hair played with. She was seventeen, and her birthday was November 18. That... that was all she could remember. Where was she from!?

"Oh Dark Mirror!" Crowley began. "Guide this one back to the place they belong!"

Nothing happened. Gwen began to panic, trying to think. Who was she? Where was she from? Who were her parents? Did she have parents?

Crowley looked confused. "Once more. Oh Dark Mirror! Guide this..."

"It is nowhere." The Mirror said suddenly, interrupting him. "The place they belong is nowhere in this world... it does not exist."

"What did you say? That is unbelievable!" Crowley was stunned. "Hmm, well, the unbelievable has certainly been on parade today. This is the first time it's ever happened since I became headmaster, what should be..." Crowley turned to Gwen, about to ask her a question. "Where exactly did you come from?"

Gwen had sunk down on her knees, gripping her hair tightly as tears ran down her face. "Miss Brookes, is everything alright? What's wrong?" Crowley asked in concern.

Gwen looked up at him. "I don't know. Mister Crowley, I can't remember anything! I don't know where I'm from or who I am!"

"You don't? Oh, dear." Crowley looked like he had no idea how to comfort her. "Let's go to the library. Perhaps there's something in there."

Crowley led her into the library and pulled out a large map. "Now, you're absolutely sure you don't recognize any of these names or places?" He asked as Gwen examined the map.

"Land of Pyroxene. Afterglow Savanah. Land of Hot Sands. Rose Kingdom. Village of Harvest. Valley of Thorns. Isle of Lamentation. Coral Sea." Gwen read off each name from the map. "No, none of these sound familiar to me."

Crowley frowned. "None of them? And you truly don't remember anything about yourself?" He narrowed his eyes at her. "You're not lying to me, are you?"

"Why would I lie about this?!" Gwen asked, frustration leaking into her voice.

"Ah, yes of course not." Crowley replied. "My apologies." His expression turned thoughtful. "Looking at all this, you may have somehow been brought here from another planet..."

"Another planet?"

"There's also a possibility you're from another world."

Gwen frowned, thinking this over. "If I was brought over from another planet or world, perhaps that's what caused my amnesia?" She wondered.

"It seems likely." Crowley agreed. "What did you have on you when you came here? Do you have any identification, like a license for a magic car, name on a shoe... you appear to be empty handed."

Gwen patted her sides. "To be honest, I don't think I'm wearing anything beneath this." She said.

"Ah." Crowley cleared his throat. "Strange... I suppose i can stop by Crewel." He shook his head. "But it is disturbing that you don't have any ID. I can't just let someone who can't use magic stay at school."

Fear gripped Gwen's heart. Surely Crowley wouldn't leave her in the streets to fend for herself. "However, as an educator, I can't just toss a penniless teenage girl out on the streets with no form of communication." Crowley continued. "For I am gracious. Hmmm... that's right!"

Crowley beamed. "There is an unused building on campus. It was once used as a dormitory in the past so if you clean it up you should at least be able to sleep there. For the time being I shall allow you to stay there! Then I will look for a cure to your amnesia and a way home."

Gwen let out a sigh of relief. "Oh thank you so much Mr. Crowley! You really are gracious!"

Crowley looked smug at her praise. "My graciousness is limitless! I am a model for all educators." He patted her on the head. "We had better be on our way. Let's head to the dormitory. It may be a bit old but there is a certain charm to it!"

"Oh, but what about that Crewel person you mentioned?" Gwen asked.

"Professor Crewel is more than likely asleep." Crowley said. "I'll visit him first thing tomorrow about getting clothes for you. There is also Sam, who runs the campus store. I'm sure he has clothes to buy as well."

"That makes sense!" Gwen agreed. "Let's go to the dorm then."