Genesis 37:3

Israel aber hatte Josef lieber als alle seine Söhne, weil er der Sohn seines Alters war, und machte ihm einen bunten Rock.

Hier wird uns das gesagt, was wir durch den vorherigen Text schon vermutet haben. Josef, der die eigenen Brüder verpetzt, ist der Lieblingssohn von Israel sprich Jakob. So wie es oft ist, dass die jüngsten und kleinsten Kinder verhätschelt werden, so wird es hier auch gewesen sein. Zu dieser Verhätschelung gehören auch wertvolle Geschenke so wie ein bunter Rock. Es geht hier wahrscheinlich um ein ganzes Gewand das mühevoll zusammengenäht wurde aus Stoffen und Nahten von verschiedenen Farben. Das war damals sehr aufwendig für ein Nomadenvolk und somit auch sehr teuer. Damit hat Israel eigentlich allen gezeigt, wer der Lieblingssohn im Hause Israel ist. Somit geht Israel den gleichen falschen Weg der Bevorzugung wie seine Eltern. 

Israel had learnt nothing from his early experience of favouritism. It would bear an even heavier crop of hatred and deceit than it had yielded in his own youth. Whether the mark of favour was a coat of many colours (AV, RV), a long robe with sleeves, or a ceremonial robe with ornaments,1 it was ostentatious and provocative.
Derek Kidner, Genesis: An Introduction and Commentary, Bd. 1 of Tyndale Old Testament Commentaries (Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 1967), 192.

Benjamin being younger, was more the son of his old age and consequently on that ground might have been expected to be the favorite. Literally rendered, it is "son of old age to him"—Hebrew phrase, for "a wise son"—one who possessed observation and wisdom above his years—an old head on young shoulders.

Robert Jamieson, A. R. Fausset, und David Brown, Commentary Critical and Explanatory on the Whole Bible (Oak Harbor, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc., 1997), 38.

Now (literally, and) Israel loved Joseph more than all his children (literally, sons), because he was the son of his old age—literally, a son of old age (was) he to him; not a son possessing the wisdom of advanced years (Onkelos), but a son born in his old age (Rosenmüller, Keil, Kalisch, et alii), which was literally true of Joseph, since he was born in his father's ninety-first year. Yet as Joseph was only a year or two younger than the children of Bilhah and Zilpah, and as Benjamin was still later born than he, the application of this epithet to Joseph has been explained on the ground that Benjamin was at this time little more than a child (Keil), and had not much come into notice (Murphy), or perhaps was not born when this portion of the narrative was originally written ('Speaker's Commentary'); or that Joseph had obtained the name before Benjamin's birth, and that it had clung to him after that event (Inglis).

H. D. M. Spence-Jones, Hrsg., Genesis, The Pulpit Commentary (London; New York: Funk & Wagnalls Company, 1909), 427.

Jacob's favoritism is understandable in the context of Joseph's birth: Joseph was the firstborn of Rachel—Jacob's first love—after years of barrenness. However, Jacob seems to have made no attempt to hide this favoritism from Joseph's siblings. ... While it is clear that Joseph's robe set him apart from his brothers—likely indicating his favored status—it is not clear what set it apart. It could have had long sleeves, been made of expensive material, or been a robe of many colors. The idea that the robe had many colors derives from the way the Septuagint (the ancient Greek translation of the OT) translates kethoneth passim. Regardless of its appearance, the robe distinguishes Joseph from his brothers and possibly indicates a position of authority over them.

John D. Barry u. a., Faithlife Study Bible (Bellingham, WA: Lexham Press, 2012, 2016), Gen 37,3.

The "coat of many colors" that Jacob made Joseph was a varicolored tunic, which was probably a long-sleeved, ornamented, coat. Wool was the most commonly used raw material, and by the time of Joseph wool spinning was advanced enough so that it wasn't necessary to describe it in the Scriptures—its instruments and process were common knowledge. Natural wool tones range from white to yellow to gray, and so lend themselves to a multiple of color possibilities using natural dyes.For whatever reason, it appears that the coats of Joseph's brothers had not been colored and had probably been left in their natural wool colors, which may have been a common practice with work coats. Thus Joseph's multicolored coat would have been a strong contrast to their plain coats. Whatever the difference in the appearance of their coats, the special appearance of Joseph's coat indicated a favored position in his father's eyes, and that caused strong jealousy and resentment in his brothers.Today, the expression a "coat of many colors" is sometimes used to describe a person whose personality and character change to fit the occasion.

James M. Freeman und Harold J. Chadwick, Manners & customs of the Bible (North Brunswick, NJ: Bridge-Logos Publishers, 1998), 68–69.

    But even this affection was to become a cause of trouble and sorrow. Jacob unwisely manifested his preference for Joseph, and this excited the jealousy of his other sons. As Joseph witnessed the evil conduct of his brothers, he was greatly troubled; he ventured gently to remonstrate with them, but only aroused still further their hatred and resentment. He could not endure to see them sinning against God, and he laid the matter before his father, hoping that his authority might lead them to reform. Jacob carefully avoided exciting their anger by harshness or severity. With deep emotion he expressed his solicitude for his children, and implored them to have respect for his gray hairs, and not to bring reproach upon his name, and above all not to dishonor God by such disregard of His precepts. Ashamed that their wickedness was known, the young men seemed to be repentant, but they only concealed their real feelings, which were rendered more bitter by this exposure.

Ellen Gould White, The Story of Patriarchs and Prophets as Illustrated in the Lives of Holy Men of Old, Bd. 1 of Conflict of the Ages Series (Pacific Press Publishing Association, 1890), 209.