Genesis 35:27

Und Jakob kam zu seinem Vater Isaak nach Mamre, nach Kirjat-Arba, das ist Hebron, wo Abraham und Isaak als Fremdlinge gelebt hatten.

Jakobs Geschichte fängt damit an, dass sein Vater dachte er würde sterben. Weil er dachte, dass er dem Tod nahe sei hat er seinen Sohn Esau segnen wollen. Jahrzehnte (23 Jahre) später ist Isaak noch am Leben und man stellt sich die Frage ob Isaak richtig gehandelt hatte oder diese Fehlentscheidung zu einem vermeidbaren Dominoeffekt geführt hat. Jakob ist jetzt aber da um sein rechtmäßiges Erbe anzutreten und vielleicht hat es doch diese Zeit in der Unwissenheit gebraucht um aus ihm einen verantwortungsvollen Patriarchen zu machen. 

The importance of this reunion, though stated briefly, trumpets the completion of God's promise to bring Jacob back to his father's house (28:15, 21). The identification of the meeting site significantly associates Jacob with his ancestors, Abraham and Isaac, who also "had stayed" (gûr) at Hebron (Mamre; e.g., 13:18), though Isaac's residence had been at Beersheba when Jacob departed (e.g., 26:23; 28:10). The Hebrew word gûr typically describes the residence of the patriarchs as aliens (e.g., 12:10; 15:13; 20:1; 21:23, 34; 23:4; 26:3). That the Hebrew includes the adverb "there" (šām) intensifies the moment of the event, since the family sepulcher was at Mamre (23:2, 19; 25:9), the center of the family's heritage and claim on the land. That Isaac had moved to Hebron was anticipatory of his death to follow.

K. A. Mathews, Genesis 11:27–50:26, Bd. 1B of The New American Commentary (Nashville: Broadman & Holman Publishers, 2005), 629–630.