Niall Imagine

The Reason Why

"No one pays attention anymore." He spoke, looking out over the city, still blanketed by clouds from the morning’s rain. "No one even notices." He stared down at the people who passed him by, watching them walk, watching them go about their daily routines like drones. "Do you know there’s a girl who passes this way? Every day." The boy sighed, resting his head on his hand as his gaze fell to the young girl, making it in perfect time as he had mentioned her. She was wearing a cotton blue dress, and her hair laid soft on her shoulders as she carried a small bag at her side. "She’s beautiful." He spoke, and his face lit in awe at the way her smile crept up on her lips, like the shy sun behind overcast clouds. "In the face, yeah… but she’s beautiful in other ways… genuine." He let his head sink down, resting his chin on his knee while his stare stayed upon her. He watched her as often as she came. Every morning, there he sat perched in the window, like a bird on flimsy telephone wire. "She’s so careful." He explained, "She thinks before she speaks, not in a filtered way… but in a way that leads me to believe she wants her words to be effective… she talks like she’s used to people not listening." The girl waved happily at a stranger as she pushed her hair off of her shoulders, and continued on her routine path. "She dances when she walks." He chuckled, bringing his hand up to rub above his upper lip as he watched the way her blue dress matched with the giddy pace of her steps. One more step, and she was closer to his window. Her hair shined under what little sunlight was peeking through the clouds, and he sighed sadly, shaking his head while she turned to greet another stranger. "She’s looking for someone." He explained, "Someone to fix her. She’s broken, and she knows it… but she doesn’t let them see." Gazing out as he watched the girl, he smiled while she smiled, greeting a member of the town whom she saw every day at this hour. His eyes fixated on her face as she moved along, smiling with her lips as her eyes hid the saddest frown a beautiful girl could muster. "But I see." He whispered, thinking deeply as she passed by him from below. "I see light in her… that light makes me feel alive, even if she is broken, and even if she can’t find it in herself. She’s living proof that we’re all more than we believe ourselves to be." He peered over the side of the window, and drew in a shallow breath, swallowing the ball in his throat, and resting his forearms on his knees. "Maybe that’s why I haven’t jumped yet."