perfect (scomark)

Scott's about to go onstage.

Mark is right there beside him, holding his hand. He tilts his head up, making up for the small height difference between them.

"You ready for tonight?" Mark asks.

Scott nods. "Yeah." He leans in and gives Mark a quick kiss. "Especially with my good luck charm here." He squeezes Mark's hand.

Mark laughs. "How long till you go on?"

That's when the intro starts playing.

Scott sighs. "Right now. Can I have one more kiss?" He asks.

Mark nods, giving it to him, and wishing him good luck before he goes onstage.

Mark has always loved to watch Scott perform, even if he's seen it so many times he knows it like the back of his hand. It makes Scott happy, so it makes Mark happy. It's that simple.

Mark furrows his brows when Scott messes up the words for a second time. He knows sometimes Scott flubs up, so he tries not to think too much about it.

But then there's a third, and a fourth. Mark waves, but nobody looks over. They're all in performance mode.

Eventually Scott starts breathing heavily and can't get the words out, so Mitch takes over his solo line.

Scott has to sit down for a minute. He can't breathe.

Mark rushes onstage with some of the security following, and they take him offstage.

"Scotty? What's happening?" Mark asks.

"I don't know," Scott inhales, "Can't...can't breathe," he whispers.

"Is it anxiety?" Mark asks, "Scotty, are you stressed about something?"

Scott hesitates, but nods, and starts to catch his breath again.

The rest of the band rushes offstage. "Scott?" Mitch asks. "We have Citizen Queen out there singing some more."

The rest of the band comes offstage.

"Has he told you?" Mitch asks, looking at Mark, "I knew this would happen," he says.

"Told me what?" Mark asks.

Kirstin frowns, "I hate to ruin it, but Mark, Scott was going to propose to you tonight."

"What?" Mark asks, "Scotty, is that it?"

Scott's caught a bit more of his breath. "Yeah," he breathes, "but when we were singing I started thinking, 'What if he says no?,' 'I don't want to lose him,' 'He won't say yes, he's too good for me....'" He starts breathing heavier, "I don't know, Marky, I'm just scared."

"Scott," Mark grabs his hand, "I would do absolutely anything to marry you," he says. "I love you more than anything, you know that? I'd marry you right this second if you wanted me to."

Scott nods. "I love you," he says, "I just got too into my head about it," he finishes. He's finally got his breath back. "Can I show you off to the audience?" He asks.

Mark nods.

"Wait! Aren't you forgetting something?" Matt asks. He raises his left hand and points to his ring finger with his right hand.

"Oh, yeah," Scott sits up, and reaches into his pocket, pulling out a ring box. He opens it, showing the sparkling ring to Mark. "Let's make this official, shall we?" He asks.

Mark nods and smiles. "Let's do it," he says.

Scott slides the ring onto Mark's finger, and before he realizes it, Mark is cupping his cheeks and pulling him into a kiss.

"I love you," Scott says, "Now let me show off my cute fiancé to the audience," he smiles, standing up and grabbing Mark's hand.

Scott grabs a mic for him and Mark on the way out, and the audience cheers when they come onstage.

"Hey guys, I'm so sorry about my anxiety earlier," Scott says, "It was for a good reason, I promise."

The audience reacts with question in their voices.

"Mark? Why don't you show them?" Scott says.

"Well, I hate to be the reason that Scott was having anxiety," Mark says, "But, tonight, he wanted to ask me to marry him," he says, lifting his hand to show off his ring, and the audience screams.

Matt, Kevin, and Kirstin walk back onstage, and they start to sing the introduction to "Perfect" by Ed Sheehan with Citizen Queen.

Scott takes the lead vocal line.

I found a love for me
Darling just dive right in
And follow my lead
Well I found a boy beautiful and sweet
I never knew you were the someone waiting for me
'Cause we were just kids when we fell in love
Not knowing what it was
I will not give you up this time
But darling, just kiss me slow, your heart is all I own
And in your eyes you're holding mine

Scott walks to Mark, and grabs his hand.

Baby, I'm dancing in the dark with you between my arms
Barefoot on the grass, listening to our favorite song
When you said you looked a mess, I whispered underneath my breath
But you heard it, darling, you look perfect tonight

Mark has tears in his eyes, he laughs softly and lets a tear fall when Scott squeezes his hand.

Well I found my baby, stronger than anyone I know
He shares my dreams, I hope that someday I'll share his home
I found a love, to carry more than just my secrets
To carry love, to carry children of our own
We are still kids, but we're so in love
Fighting against all odds
I know we'll be alright this time
Darling, just hold my hand
Be my man, and I'll be yours
I see my future in your eyes
Baby, I'm dancing in the dark, with you between my arms
Barefoot on the grass, listening to our favorite song
When I saw you with that smile, looking so beautiful
I don't deserve this, darling, you look perfect tonight

Scott gives Mark a quick kiss during the interlude, and is grinning wide when he goes back to singing.

Baby, I'm dancing in the dark, with you between my arms
Barefoot on the grass, listening to our favorite song
I have faith in what I see
Now I know I have met an angel in person
And he looks perfect
I don't deserve this
You look perfect tonight

Mark wraps his arms around Scott when he's done singing, and Scott kisses his forehead. He feels like the most loved person in the world right now, and he probably is, he thinks.

"I love you," Mark whispers shakily, "It's starting to sink in, I can't wait to marry you," he continues.

"I love you too," Scott says.