my girl (scomiche)

Mitch goes to see Scott sing every Friday.

He's a regular performer at a bar not too far from their house, but Mitch still swoons when he hears Scott sing, even after three and a half years.

He's a little late today, but that's okay. Scott is finishing up his first song and smiles when he sees Mitch slip into one of the seats at a table.

He gives him a small wave and Scott's regulars let out an "aww," they know exactly what he's doing. He loves his boyfriend and he's not afraid to show it.

Mitch giggles and waves back.

Scott gives him a wink and his song ends.

"How's everybody doing tonight?"

The small crowd cheers. There's maybe 30 or 40 of them. It doesn't matter. Scott loves what he does. He just wants to sing.

"What are we up to tonight? Girls night out? Hanging out with your sweetheart?"

The crowd laughs.

"Hey, don't make fun. My sweetheart's right back there," he points at Mitch, "Say hi, baby."

Mitch gives a shy wave.

He talks to the crowd for a few minutes before he starts up his next song. Mitch notices that it's not in his usual Friday night set.

"I've got sunshine,"

Mitch realizes that he's never even heard Scott sing this song before. Not when they're being dumb at home, not when they're singing in the car, and not here.

"On a cloudy day,"

Scott continues through the song, hopping off of the stage and walking through the audience. Each time he sings "my girl," he pays a little
extra attention to a couple in the audience, resulting in laughter.

The end of the song nears and he makes it to the back.

He makes it to Mitch and grabs his hand. There's a few lyrics left of the song. Mitch rolls his eyes as Scott sings to him, but Scott just looks at him cheesily and fondly.

"You're such a dork," Mitch says, and Scott kisses his cheek when the music ends. Mitch expects him to go back onstage, but he doesn't.

"Mitchy," Scott breathes, "I love you more than anything, sweetheart, will you make me the happiest man alive, and marry me?" He gets down on one knee, places his microphone on the ground, and pulls out a ring box from his pocket. The audience gasps.

"Wait, Scott, are you serious?" Mitch asks.

Scott nods. "Surprise," he smiles.

"Oh my god," Mitch breathes, "Yeah, baby, I'll marry you."

Scott picks up the microphone. "He said yes!"

The audience claps and Scott slips the ring on Mitch's finger. They both mumble a quick "I love you," before Scott goes back onstage.

"Scotty, you really surprised me," Mitch chuckles, walking up to him.

Scott smiles shyly. "I just," he exhales, "I wanted to marry you," he says softly, "So I asked."

"You're so sweet," Mitch says, kissing Scott once. "I love you."

"I love you too, sweetheart," Scott says, "Lets go home."