rain (scomiche)

Scott is six years old when his mother teaches him to love the rain.

"Come on, honey, isn't it beautiful?"

Scott hears thunder and gets scared.

"Honey, they're just moving the furniture upstairs," Connie smiles, "it's nothing to be scared of. That just means that the angels are redecorating."

Scott laughs and watches the rain. "It's pretty." He smiles.

"Want to go play in it?" Connie asks.

"But then I'll get all wet," Scott pouts.

"We have dry clothes inside. Come on! It's lots of fun," She stands up, grabbing Scott's hand, "If you don't like it we can go back inside."

"Okay," Scott slowly steps outside.

The next 15 minutes is filled with puddle jumping, splashing, running, and lots of laughing.

~

Scott is eight and absolutely loves the rain.

He just doesn't understand why his friends are so afraid of getting wet. It's only water.

He even understands if they don't like to go and play in it, why they don't like to even watch it.

"It's just rain, dummy," his best friend, Grant, says, "It's not pretty, it's just water."

Scott pouts. He just doesn't understand.

~

Scott is twelve and hates the rain with everything he has.

The rain makes him think of his mother, who died last year. It makes him sad, and he doesn't like it.

Scott hates the rain and misses his mother.

And he most definitely doesn't want to talk about it.

With anybody.

~

Scott is sixteen when Mitch comes around.

He likes having this smiling face, accompanied with dimples, and brown eyes with him every day.

Mitch is spending the night at Scott's house when they hear raindrops on the roof.

"Scott." Mitch whispers.

"I'm sleeping." Scott mumbles.

"It's raining."

"Yes I know it's raining. Go to sleep."

"Let's go run in it." Mitch smiles.

"I hate the rain."

"How can you hate the rain? It's beautiful, and it's so much fun-"

"It's just water, Mitch. Go back to sleep."

Mitch stops to think.

"I'll be outside, if you need me."

Scott sits up. "Mitch." But Mitch is already out the door.

So he goes outside to see Mitch standing in the middle of his driveway, looking up towards the sky with his arms out.

"Mitch, get back inside. Come on. You can borrow some of my clothes to sleep in."

Mitch shakes his head. "Come out here with me."

"Mitch, I'm serious."

"Scott, if you don't think I'm being 1000% serious, then you're wrong."

Scott steps out into the rain and grabs Mitch by his arm. "Mitchy, come on."

"Scotty, just look around. Isn't it beautiful?"

~

And then Scott is twenty and absolutely in love with the rain all over again.

He's also irrevocably in love with his best friend.

They're leaving a party they had been invited to that has turned out to be no fun, when they hear a crack of thunder.

Arlington has been in a drought, it hasn't rained in almost two months.

Mitch squeezes Scott's hand, and Scott's favorite dimples appear on Mitch's cheeks.

And it isn't until Scott feels the raindrops on them that he gets a wave of confidence.

Seconds later, he's kissing his best friend.

~

And then Scott's twenty-three, in his shared apartment with Mitch.

"Mitchy, thank you." He says.

"For what?" Mitch asks, taking Scott's hand in his, and kissing it.

"Teaching me to love the rain again," Scott says, "I had a hatred for it ever since my mom died, but before then, she had taught me to love it."

"Scotty," Mitch wraps his arms around his boyfriend, "I love you too much to let you go through that."

"I love you too, Mitchy," Scott says, "Thank you."