christmas love (scomark)

december 24, 2017

Scott asks for another drink at the bar, and is denied because it's past the last call.

He never expected to see himself here on Christmas Eve, drinking his pain away.

He's tipsy if not drunk, and now he needs to get himself home. He feels pathetic. Why is he doing this to himself? His boyfriend left him. That doesn't mean he should be treating himself like this.

He starts to walk home. He's freezing, and isn't confident he can drive himself home.

He's shivering worse than he's ever shivered in his life. Why didn't he bring a jacket?

He stumbles. He's so cold.

He barely hears a voice.

"Hey, are you okay?"

He can't respond. He feels so weak.

He stumbles, and he would have fallen, but he's caught.

The next thing he remembers is waking up in an apartment that isn't his.

He lays there for a little while, unsure of what to do. His head hurts. He looks to the bedside table and sees a bottle of water and a note.

you didn't look too hot last night. you took a fall and didn't look like you would make it home so i brought you to my place. just holler for me when you wake up! i have cinnamon rolls ready. my name is mark.

Scott stands up and walks out of the room, looking for this so-called Mark.

Luckily, he's icing the cinnamon rolls in the kitchen. "Hey! Good morning!" He smiles. "Do you want one?"

Scott shakes his head no. "No thanks...are you Mark?"

Mark nods his head yes. "Yeah. I'm sorry I just kind of...took you, but you wouldn't have made it home otherwise. It's Christmas, I don't know what would have happened if I left you."

"I wasn't doing so hot last night," Scott says, "I actually appreciate it. It means a lot that you cared enough to not leave me on the street."

Mark notices Scott eyeing the cinnamon rolls and passes him one on a plate. "You look hungry," he says, "You should eat up."

Scott takes a bite, and is surprised at how good they taste.

"So what happened?" Mark asks. "What happened last night that you ended up the way you did?"

Scott sighs. "I suppose I owe you an explanation if you were nice enough to take me in here, don't I?"

Mark shrugs. "If you don't mind."

"My boyfriend kicked me out. He says I cheated on him, which I didn't. I don't have any of my clothes, or anything but my car keys and everything that's in my car. I went to that bar to drink away the pain but it didn't work...and I didn't have a jacket. I mean, you saw, I was wearing a tee shirt in the freezing cold. I'll have to make it back over there eventually to get my stuff. I'll figure it out."

"I'm really sorry about that....I'm sorry, what was your name?" Mark asks.

"Scott," Scott says, "Sorry. I didn't even..." he groans, "There's so much going on."

"Well, you can stay here as long as you want, until you can get on your feet again," Mark says. "I mean it."

december 24 2018

Mark is finishing stringing the fairy lights over the arch in his apartment. He knows it's old fashioned to wait until Christmas eve to decorate, but his parents always did it, and he's still followed it to this day.

There's a knock on his door.

He thinks it must be a last minute delivery, and he goes to answer the door, and grins from ear to ear as soon as he sees who's at the door.

"Baby!" Mark exclaims, wrapping his arms around Scott, "What are you doing here? Not that I'm not happy that you're here, just, I thought you'd be in Texas."

"My family noticed I was a little down and said I should be with you," he says, "So here I am."

"Are you sure you wouldn't rather be with your family?" Mark asks.

"I'm here, aren't I?" Scott asks. "And in case you've forgotten, today is also our 6 month anniversary. Come on, let's make some hot cocoa."

"Happy 6 months, baby," Mark places his hands on Scott's cheeks and goes in for a kiss. "Merry Christmas."

"Merry Christmas, sweetheart. I love you."

Mark smiles. "I love you too."

december 24, 2019

"A little to the left, baby," Mark says. "There. Perfect."

Scott steps back to admire his work of decorating. "Look at our little home," he says. "I love it. I love you, too."

Mark smiles. "What if I had just walked by you two years ago?" He asks. "I wouldn't have the greatest thing in my life."

"I'm the greatest thing in your life?" Scott asks.

Mark nods shyly.

"God, could you be any more perfect?" Scott asks.

Mark giggles. "Stop it, Scotty."

"No, I mean it." Scott says. "Marky, I...I want you to...I was going to wait until tomorrow, but I don't think I can. Will you marry me, sweetheart?"

"What?" Mark asks, shocked. "I, oh my god, yeah, baby! I'll marry you. Of course I'll marry you. I'd be an idiot not to,"

"Thank god," Scott says, "I can't wait to be your husband. Merry Christmas, angel."

"Merry Christmas, Scotty."