boyfriend (scomark)

"Hey, Scotty," Mark says, letting Scott into the apartment. "Wow, you look great."

Scott looks down at his ripped jeans and black t-shirt. "It's not much, but I guess it does the job," he says. "You look great too. I love that color on you."

Mark smiles. "Thanks, Scott."

They hug for a moment. Mark enjoys it, because even though they haven't quite figured out the dynamic of their relationship, Mark definitely knows where he wants it to go.

"You smell so good," Scott says, taking a step
back.

"New cologne," Mark says. "I take it you like it?"

"Meh," Scott says sarcastically, doing the song-so' hand sign.

Mark laughs.

"Ready to go?" Scott asks.

"I think so," Mark says, heading out the door.

"Mark?"

"Yeah?" Mark turns around.

Scott exhales. "Nothing. Nevermind."

"Okay," Mark says. "Let's go."

On the way to the party, they talk about what's happened since the last time they hung out, about a week ago.

Scott parks the car in front of the house. "I've been meaning to ask you something, Mark. Would—"

He's interrupted by someone knocking on the window. "Scott! What's up?"

"Oh my god, hey, Mitch!" Scott gets out of the car and hugs him tightly. "It's been forever, hasn't it?"

"It really has," Mitch says.

Mark quietly gets out of the car and watches the two of them. He assumes it's Scott's ex, Mitch, that he's talked about a few times. He knows Scott technically isn't his, but he can't help but still feel a little jealous.

"I'm about to head in. Want a drink?" Mitch asks.

"Of course," Scott says. "Thanks, Mitch."

Mitch heads in, and Scott looks at Mark.

"Who was that?" Mark asks, quietly.

"That was Mitch," Scott says.

"Your ex?" Mark can't help but frown a little bit.

"Yeah, that's the one. He hasn't changed a bit. It starts to make me wonder why we even broke up," Scott says.

"Life can be funny like that sometimes," Mark shrugs. "Are we going in or what?"

"Yeah," Scott says. "Let's go."

They head in and Mitch greets Scott at the door with a rum and coke. Mark goes for a Budweiser, and they split up.

Mark finds some of his friends, Lucy, Keith, and Bryson, and sticks around with them for a little bit. He's loosened up a good amount when he looks over and sees Mitch dancing practically on top of Scott.

He sighs. Guess that's not happening.

"What's wrong, Marky?" Lucy asks.

Mark gestures over to Scott.

"Is that Scott?"

Mark nods.

"I'm sorry, sweetie," Lucy says. "I know how much you like him."

"I really thought this one was going to work out," Mark says. "And what makes it worse is that's his ex."

"Didn't you two come here together, though?" Bryson asks.

"Yeah, but just as friends. Just so that neither of us showed up alone, y'know?"

"Yeah, I feel you." Bryson says. "Well, next time, you know you can come with us."

Mark nods. "Thanks, guys."

"C'mon," Keith grabs Mark's hand, and they head further away, so that Mark doesn't have to look at Scott.

After Mark gets some more alcohol in his system, he and his friends start to dance. He's genuinely having a great time, and he's so thankful that he has Bryson, Lucy, and Keith.

"Hey, there you are," Scott says.

Mark turns around. "Hey," he says.

"Oh, hey guys," Scott says. "I recognize you from instagram, you're Lucy," he points, "and Keith, and Bryson, right?"

"Yeah," Keith says.

"It's nice to finally meet you guys," Scott puts his hand out and shakes each of their hands. "I've heard so much about you."

"Marky, you talk about us?" Lucy asks.

"Well, yeah," Mark says, "You guys are my best friends."

"Hey, Mark, I'm sorry Mitch stoke me for so long. I remember why we broke up now," Scott says.

They make their way away from some other people to continue the conversation. 

"Why?" Mark asks.

"Well, I remembered how big of a flirt he was when he wouldn't stop dancing with me," Scott says, "And then I really remembered when his boyfriend came looking for him."

"Oh my god," Mark says. "He was like, all over you."

"It was like, really gross deja-vu," Scott says. "But I'm glad he's gone."

"Scott! What's up, man?" Someone asks.

"Kevin! How are you, dude?" Scott asks, hugging him.

"I'm great, Scott. Oh, uhh, hi. I'm Kevin, Scott's college roommate. Who is this, Scott?" Kevin shakes Mark's hand.

"This is my boyfriend, Mark." Scott says.

"What?" Mark asks.

"Oh, uhh, hold on a second, Kevin, I'll catch up with you and Matt in a little while."

Kevin gives Scott a thumbs up and walks away.

"Boyfriend?" Mark asks.

"I'm sorry," Scott scratches the back of his neck, "I thought that we were headed in that direction, so I just—"

"I mean, I didn't say I didn't like it," Mark says. "You just surprised me, is all, Scotty."

Scott laughs. "Yeah, sorry about that. I kept trying to ask you but couldn't."

Mark grabs Scott's hand. "It's okay. Now come on, let me show off my pretty new boyfriend to everyone."

"Only if I get to show mine off first," Scott says.