02 • The Laws

Every action has an equal and opposite reaction.

Newton's third law. The size of the force on the first object would make the second object give out equal force. The severity of one's action would give out an equally severe reaction. If someone were to beat up an entire gang alone, they would be spotlighted by everybody in the delinquent world.

Reina had learned that years ago, way before school taught her.

Maybe not all actions have an equal and opposite reaction, but Reina liked to think 'equality' was subjective and inconsistent, so she'd accept all the reactions her actions brought her.

She wasn't a god. She didn't have the right to determine just how severe her sins were. All she knew was that the weight on her shoulders and the itch in her skin were the burdens of her sins, and she had no choice but to accept that. Because they were the reactions of her own actions.

"Repeat that."

"I told you to leave." Mikey's voice grew more demanding and yes, Reina confirmed she heard him right. "You don't wanna fight. We don't wanna fight. It was Baji's fault, so just leave."

That was, by far, the most rational thing she had ever heard come out of a delinquent's mouth. Reina didn't see a point in fighting these guys since she couldn't gain anything, so she decided to accept the miracle. She called for Mirai and left the shrine, ignoring her injuries and the way the gang members glared at her.

Well, they could certainly try again. It wouldn't be the first time she demolished an entire gang.

"Are you okay?"

"Hm?" Entering the house, they walked past the first floor, the flower shop, and unlocked the door leading to the stairs to the second floor, the living space. "They're nothing to me. You know that."

"Akise told you not to let your head get injured again."

"I'm fine." Akise was a good doctor, very much materialistic, but nevertheless a good doctor. Besides, Reina liked Akise because he was money-oriented and had grey morals. If he wasn't interested in money, then he wouldn't have been chosen as her doctor in the first place. 

Entering her room with Mirai following behind her, she stepped into her mini walk-in closet and picked out some pajamas while unzipping her binder. Mirai opened the door connecting to the shared bathroom that also had a door connecting to the closet in her room, declaring she'd take a bath first.

Uncoiling Marseille from her shoulders, Reina clicked her tongue when the snake tangled himself with her necklace again. Taking off the black chain holding an eight-pointed star pendant to dump Marseille back in his enclosure beside her bed, she raised an eyebrow at him.

"Stop playing with my necklace. You'll break the chain again." Marseille only bumped his head against his enclosure, hissing in something Reina associated with pouting, causing her to scoff. "I don't wanna make it into an anklet like Mirai, Marseille. And you know I can't stand the feeling of metal against my wrist. Don't be whiny."

The necklace was important, and she needed to have it on her person at all times of the day. Reina made sure the chain was made of thin rope and not metal, and it was loose enough for the pendant to hang near her chest. If she didn't make it so, it would've felt too much like a collar or a shackle, and she would've clawed both the necklace and her skin off.

"Nanane! I think you're out of pads!"

"Are you shitting me?"

Clattering could be heard from the bathroom before Mirai yelled again, "Nope! Think you should buy one while I'm still showering." Oh, right. Reina forgot they were supposed to buy some groceries after buying Marseille's food. Fuck Toman and their stupid stunts. "Oh, you ran outta melon lollipops and, uh, oh yeah, I want some cookies and chips."