147 • The Start

"Eina! Eina! Nananana!"

"Rindou! Rindou! She said my name!"

"Are you dumb?" The younger Haitani deadpanned. "That's probably Reina's butchered name. She doesn't like you enough to care about your stupid name, you dumbass."

"Dum! Dum! You dum'as!"

Gasping, Ran threw a pacifier at Rindou, hugging Mirai while covering her ears. "Rindou, how could you!? To our innocent baby sister!"

Oh, he would not have liked to know that Mirai had called them whores in the other timeline. Well, he didn't like it back then either, but he grew to accept his fate. Still, it was funny watching Ran coddle and coo at the two-year-old version of Mirai, and Reina couldn't deny that she felt glad.

"Her first word was Nana." Courtesy of Harui who kept on calling her name in Mirai's presence. "Rui's butchered name is 'Wee' by the way. It's, like, her second word or something."

"Say, Ran, kid. C'mon, kid. Say Ran. No, say Nii-chan. C'mon, hun, say Nii-chan with Nii-chan." The older Haitani, of course, chose to ignore the two people sitting on the couch, rattling one of Mirai's toys and begging her to say his name. "Mirai, I'll use Daddy's card to buy you all the dresses and toys you want, so please say Nii-chan. Eh, no. Say Ran-nii. Yes, say Ran-nii, Mirai. Ran-nii."

He said that as if Reina wasn't richer than him. Well, seeing him doting on Mirai was nice, especially considering how absolutely chaotic their first meeting was—second meeting or so, technically, since their first meeting was as strangers in a random mall. It made her feel guilty knowing they would get arrested soon and having no plans to change it.

Was Izana worth the pain the Haitani brothers would go through? Reina felt sick knowing she would answer yes without hesitation. The formation of Tenjiku relied heavily on the founding members' arrest, and Reina needed Tenjiku to exist. But was having them all arrested the only way for them to form the gang?

"Thank you, Reina."

Blinking, Reina turned her head to look at Rindou, who was looking at Ran and Mirai with an oddly soft smile on his face. "What?"

"Thank you for finding us." Rindou turned to look at her, reaching out to pat her shoulder. "Nii-chan may be annoying, but he did everything for me. I ain't exactly the best brother to have, so I'm sure he'll be happy with Mirai. And that's all that matters. He's happy."

"Rindou..." Reina honestly didn't expect this. Yes, she knew Rindou was a bit insecure about his strength and how he was always in his brother's shadow, which was why she trained him in things that Ran didn't excel at, just to boost his confidence. But she didn't expect him to also be insecure about his position as Ran's brother.

"It's fine, Rindou." Smiling, she patted his shoulder. "Your brother loves you, more than you think he does. Mirai's presence won't change that." She would know. After all, Ran and Rindou stayed by her side for Mirai, Mirai moved to Osaka for them, Ran died for Rindou, and Rindou forced himself to live through everything for Ran and Mirai. The three of them loved each other very much.

"I hope you'll grow to love each other again."

"Again?"

Blinking, Reina realized she had slipped up. Keeping her composure, she flashed Rindou a smile. "Well, I mean, it's pretty hard to love you right now considering how ugly your hair is, you half-bald nerd."

Rindou fell off the couch in his attempt to shove her off the couch.

゚❁.。.:*✧・゚: *✧・゚:*卍*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*.:。❁

"Is Kurokawa Izana here?"

Hearing that name, the boy perked up, tilting his head to look at the source of the voice. The matron of the orphanage was talking with a red-haired man, who has a black-haired girl hiding behind his back. The girl looked around the orphanage, and he saw her green eyes land on him.