68 • Ambush

"It's rare to see you without your ducklings."

"For the last time, they're not my ducklings." Jabbing a finger to her chest, Baji almost growled. "They're yours."

"Hey, I wasn't the one who took in blond dudes as my vice-captains."

"Your vice-president is literally blond!?"

"Seishu is prettier."

Gasping as if she had just told him cats had gone extinct, Baji slammed his hands onto the table. Reina, unbothered and unfazed as always, simply took her smoothie—Kazutora had cringed when she ordered something so cold during winter—before it toppled over. After all, she didn't tell him a single lie, at least not in the past one minute.

"How is that scarboy—"

"Hey, don't be mean." Reina snapped her finger in front of his face. "And his scar makes him look more, uh, unique, I guess?" Shrugging, Reina didn't particularly care how that scar made Inui look. "Anyway, he's pretty. No, I will not take criticism. Yes, I will fight to defend his honor."

"Girls." Scoffing, Baji rolled his eyes and plopped back in his seat. "What's with you chicks and finding boys with scars handsome?"

"Maybe if you stopped calling girls 'chicks', they'll find you pretty too."

"What about me?"

"Your banana hair is ridiculous, but I think you're pretty, Tora."

"Me?"

"Kei, ya look like a damn clown." Ducking under the spoon he threw, Reina snickered at the sheer outrage on Baji's face. "You shower, like, once every four business days using a thirteen-in-one shampoo-body wash combo. Have some self-awareness."

"You literally called me a shampoo commercial model!"

"That was before I saw that thirteen-in-one bullshit at your house!"

Never let it be said that Reina didn't take care of her hair because she fucking loved her hair. So, when she found out shampoo-commercial-model-wannabe Baji fucking Keisuke had that gloriously shiny L'Oréal ad-worthy hair using nothing but crappy watered-down soap, Reina damn near drowned his head in the toilet.

"Yer just jealous I have pretty hair."

"You're right. I should cut it and turn it into extensions."

"Get yer hands away from my hair!" Being the absolute idiot he was, Baji jumped out of his chair and bolted out of the cafe, leaving Reina and Kazutora inside.

"What a peaceful day." Sipping his hot chocolate, Kazutora glared at Reina's smoothie as if it were a biological hazard. "If only you'd drink something normal for the weather."

"What isn't normal about me?"

"Everything."

゚❁.。.:*✧・゚: *✧・゚:*卍*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*.:。❁

Baji didn't exactly have a destination in mind when he hopped onto his bike and sped away, not wanting Reina to follow through with her threat. Contrary to popular belief, he loved his hair. That thirteen-in-one bottle wasn't even his shampoo, it was something Kazutora bought him for his birthday just to make fun of him.

Baji Keisuke used a three-in-one shampoo-conditioner-body wash, like a cultured man, thank you very much.

Going on a ride when the air was freezing and the snow wasn't blocking the road sounded like a blast, so Baji halted going back to the cafe for a lap around the district.

He didn't expect himself to see a bunch of guys in Toman uniform getting the life beaten out of them by a very familiar motherfucker.

Without thinking twice, Baji kicked the kickstand of his bike and dove in to punch the bastard across his face. "Madarame, you fucking bastard!"