152 • Move

Blinking, Shinichiro could only stare and stare at the two kids in front of him. Or more precisely, he could only stare at the girl behind the grinning boy, shooting daggers at him as if daring him to say something out of line. Though Shinichiro didn't even know what could be considered out of line.

"Um, Izana?"

"I got a sister for my birthday."

Behind him, Reina could only facepalm because yes, she agreed to meet Shinichiro at Izana's insistence, but she should've known Izana would pick a day when his shop was crowded by the former Black Dragon members from multiple generations, and all of them were staring at her, someone Shinichiro has been hunting for years now.

"Uh, congratulations."

"Don't tell Mikey." When Izana said he wanted to fuck the future up, Reina was sure he just wanted chaos. "And Emma? Hmm...Reina, do you wanna meet Emma?"

"Emma's fine. Manjiro can go fuck himself."

"Yeah, so Shinichiro, let us meet Emma."

"Hold up, hold up." Pinching the bridge of his nose, Shinichiro held his hand up and took a deep breath, turning to the two apparent siblings. "Izana, can we talk for a bit? This is going too fast for me."

Sharing a look with his sister who simply shrugged, Izana nodded and followed Shinichiro outside, leaving Reina alone in a shop full of delinquents. Well, it was fine since the floors of Shinichiro's shop were easy to clean, though Izana hoped she wouldn't get any blood on the walls.

Izana realized this was the same alley where he confronted Shinichiro after finding out the harsh truth from his mother, and he couldn't stop himself from huffing at the memory. Before Shinichiro could even open his mouth, Izana beat him to it.

"You should've told me from the start, y'know," he said, smiling bitterly. "I know you would've been nicer in explaining things."

"Izana, I—"

"Reina's my half-sister from my birth mother," he told the older man, kicking a stray pebble while tucking his hands into his pockets. "Apparently, my birth mother only wanted to use me to win my father's love, and she didn't even want Reina after getting paid by her birth father, so she sold Reina off to her adoptive father. Our birth mother...that woman is miserable until the very end."

Reina had asked if he wanted to meet Miriam again, or maybe find Kurokawa Karen, but Izana declined. Once was enough. He didn't want to see them ever again, and he had thrown a pillow at Reina when he realized she would've gone through the pain of meeting Miriam again if he never got his memories.

"Izana, I...I'm sorry." Shinichiro didn't know whether he preferred having Izana cry and scream or having him this calm and indifferent. "I didn't mean to—I just...you're my brother, Izana. No matter what, you're my brother." He didn't want to lose him. Shinichiro didn't want to lose his younger brother.

Shinichiro's voice was so raw and cracked that Izana felt as if his heart was being squeezed. Shinichiro cleared his throat, his glassy eyes showing nothing but sincerity. "I—when Emma said she has a brother, I just...I didn't...I just knew I had another brother and I just had to find you."

Shinichiro actually let out a sob and Izana fucking panicked. "I didn't mean to hurt you, Izana. I swear. I swear I didn't—please believe me, Izana. I really didn't mean to hurt you." Shinichiro fell to his knees and Izana scrambled towards him, fucking panicking because wasn't it supposed to be the other way around? Why was Shinichiro crying?

Shinichiro grabbed Izana's hands, squeezing and crying into them. "You're my brother, Izana. Since I found you—no, since the moment Emma called you her brother, you're already my brother. Not just Emma's, but mine." No matter what the blood tests or other people said, Kurokawa Izana was his little brother. "I didn't wanna tell you because I didn't know how. I didn't wanna ruin our relationship and I thought I was saving you from the pain. But I ended up hurting you. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry, Izana. But no matter what, you're still my brother. You're my little brother, so please."