91 • Family Drama

On the fourth row of the fourth shelf against the fourth wall from the right of the door, was the 'unpullable' fourth book from the right. No matter how strong it's pulled, it wouldn't budge. But there was a little secret regarding that book—'The Burning Northern Star'.

It was meant to be pushed downwards and twisted at a forty-degree angle.

"Why the fuck are you even telling us this and how the fuck am I supposed to know how much forty degrees is?"

"Instincts."

"The room behind the shelf is soundproof, so you can scream as much as you want there." Flopping on the bean bag area of the library while having a serious talk didn't give the best look, but it was comfortable. Plus, Reina could open the mini fridge stored there without standing up. "Anything you want, Emma?"

"Aren't you gonna offer us too?"

"You can grab yours downstairs in the kitchen." Handing Emma a strawberry-flavored soda, Reina took a grape one for herself, an orange one for Harui, and a cherry one for Mirai. "So, where should we start first?"

"I'd like to know why Rindou and I are here."

Shrugging, Harui took a sip of his drink. "I guess we can start there." When Rindou reached forward to pull the mini fridge towards him, Harui raised an eyebrow. "I really don't recommend drinking anything since you'll spit everything back out," he said as if he himself wasn't drinking.

"Huh? Why?"

"I think you should just rip the bandage off, Rui-nii." Mirai sipped her own drink, wondering what the news was that she needed to be present too. Reina and Harui had asked Yume to leave them alone, telling her to go downstairs to meet Regis and Regina. "It'll spare Nanane's energy to deal with the guys downstairs."

Somehow, the other kids did a fantastic job at making Reina slip away from her other guests—her mental energy sure was low today—using the mountains of gifts Reina bought them, all while Harui grabbed his youngest sister and told her whatever business they had with the six upstairs concerned her too.

"Right. Okay." Taking a deep breath, Harui looked at Reina, who just shrugged and nodded to the side. "Haitani, whaddya know about your dad?"

"A bastard."

"Your mom?"

"A bitch."

"Matching," snarked the eldest Hokusei dryly, raking his hand through his hair while Reina was making it a point to stare at the wall as if it was the most interesting thing ever. "Did you know that your dad cheated on your mom?"

"Oh, yeah. The fight was epic." Not so epic for ten-year-old Ran who hid his brother in the closet while the sound of screeches and shattering echoed in the house, watching through the gap of the door as his parents fought physically, how his father had hit his mother and in retaliation, his mother smashed his father's head with a chair.

That was the moment he learned not to underestimate a weakling, especially when they were blinded by anger.

"Mom killed Dad before killing herself. What about it?" Rindou asked as if his mother killing his father and then herself wasn't that big of a deal. Maybe it was because he didn't see it with his own eyes or because he was just sadistic. But his parents were never good to him anyway, so why should he care?

Sharing a glance with his sister, Harui let Reina take over. After all, while he was the one who found the grave, Reina was the one who dug deep enough to find the coffin.

Sighing, Reina recited the explanation she had mentally scripted, "The reason why their fight got that extreme was because your father got a woman pregnant and he wanted to bring the child into his family. Your mother obviously didn't agree and demanded your father make the woman abort the child."