118 • The Guard Dogs

"I can't fuckin' stand you!"

"It's fuckin' mutual, asshole!"

Even with their backs facing each other and one so-called legend standing in front of each of them, Sanzu and Inui still couldn't make peace with the situation. If Reina purposefully assigned them together to 'bond' or whatever, then it wasn't Sanzu's fault her most beloved dog would lose a limb, preferably a tongue. Because if Sanzu has to hear one more word out of Inui's stupid mouth—

Grunting when Wakasa suddenly lunged to kick him, Sanzu blocked the kick with his pipe, clicking his tongue as he swung it at the man who easily dodged.

"If Reina is really leaving everything to you guys," the bicolor-haired old man said, narrowing his already droopy eyes. "Then, she's either underestimating us or overestimating you."

"Make it both."

"A stupid decision I wouldn't expect from someone like her, honestly."

Truthfully, yes, Inui did feel that Reina was overestimating them. This was the legendary duo from the history of Japanese delinquency he was talking about. It was the former leader of the two gangs that ruled over Kanto during their time. It was Ragnarok's leader, who was rumored to always be drenched in the blood of his enemies after every fight, Arashi Keizo; and it was Koudou Rengou's leader, the sadistic 'white leopard' everybody feared, Imaushi Wakasa. It was the duo that united under Shinichiro and became legends. It was the people he admired as a child and even now.

Yes, Reina was overestimating him.

But when did she ever not overestimate him? Whether it was deliberate or not, Reina had always trusted him in things he knew he would fuck up, and he would do it simply because he had devoted his life to her. Reina knew that, and she knew that Inui would do whatever it took to fulfill her commands. Whether it was Black Dragon or Ryujin didn't matter. What mattered was that Reina wanted him to take care of Brahman. So, Brahman would be taken care of one way or another.

Lunging at Benkei, Inui ducked under the man's punch, swinging his baton upwards, clicking his tongue when Benkei stepped back to dodge that. Pivoting on his heels, he ducked under yet another punch and thrust his weapon to the man's face, successfully hitting him square in the nose.

"I'm sorry," he said, expressing whatever was left of his childhood dream because truthfully, he didn't want to fight them. "But I can't afford to be stopped here."

Reina had goals, and she would go after them with or without him. If he couldn't keep up, he would get left behind. If that were to happen, then there would be one less person by her side, and that was unacceptable. Because if Reina was going to destroy herself for everyone, then he would destroy everyone for her.

"I thought this would be easy." Spitting on the blood from his split lips, Benkei glared at Inui, finding it hard to believe this was the same boy who used to follow him around like a lost duckling. "But I suppose not just anyone can become the queen's guard dog."

Putting his arms up, Inui grunted at the fast blow, the slippery ground not making it easy for him to keep himself balanced. Stumbling, he planted his palms on the ground and swept his feet, knocking Benkei off balance.

Scrambling to his feet, Inui swung his baton down onto Benkei's head, bashing as hard as he could. Unfortunately, Benkei recovered before he could land the fifth hit, yanking the baton out of his hands. But Inui moved quicker, grabbing Benkei's head and bashing him onto the ground before he could even attempt to get up.

Grunting when Benkei's foot sank into his gut, Inui was forcibly thrown off him. Wiping the spit he had reflexively hacked out, Inui clicked his tongue when Benkei began to stand. He wasn't enough. He didn't have enough strength to take Benkei down, nor the speed to throw him off guard.