160 • (Birthday) Disaster

Something did happen on the thirteenth of August.

Shinichiro was going about his day, managing his shop, fixing bikes, throwing and receiving insults from his friends who seemed to be having too much free time if they could loiter around his shop. The shop had just opened two hours or so ago, but there were already so many bikes to fix, so it took him a while to realize his phone had been ringing.

When he flipped his phone open, he raised an eyebrow at the caller ID. "I thought she hated calls." Yes, Reina would text him any eerie and cryptic information she managed to get her hands on about delinquents or even the business world, but she had never called before. Still, he shrugged and answered the call. "Hello, Rei—"

His greeting was cut off by a series of echoing sobs, and Shinichiro tensed. "Reina? Reina, are you crying? What's wrong?"

His panic caused his friends to lift their heads and turn to look at him, but Shinichiro couldn't be bothered by them. If Reina was crying, then either there was something extremely wrong, or because she needed him to bail her out of something, and Shinichiro honestly didn't know which one he preferred.

"Help...please, Nanane is"—Shinichiro didn't know anybody by that name—"Nanane said it hurts. Rui-nii, help...help, please...Nanane said it hurts..."

Shinichiro knew who 'Rui' was. Reina talked about him enough, so it didn't take him much to guess who was on the other line. Barking at his friends to close the shop for the day, he didn't even bother to wipe his hands before bolting towards Reina's house.

Her house, which he knew because he had dropped her off there once, was unlocked, which was concerning on its own. Still, Shinichiro couldn't be more thankful as he went inside. Sobs and shrieks echoed throughout the house, coming from behind a cracked open door, and Shinichiro wasted no time in barging inside.

There was a little girl with red hair on the floor, screaming and crying as she banged and clawed on the door next to what looked to be a snake enclosure. "Nanane! Open the door! Nanane! Nanane! I've called Rui-nii! Nanane! Open the door!"

Retches and heaving could be heard behind that door, and Shinichiro crouched beside the hysterical redhead, ignoring her panic because he was sure he was a stranger in her eyes. Instead, he knocked gently on the door.

"Reina." He tried to open the door, only to realize it was locked, something that should've been obvious. "Reina, your sister called me. I think she made a mistake, but it's okay. I'm here. Can you open the door? Please, Reina? I wanna help you."

"Move, Shin-chan!"

Shinichiro didn't even know when the fuck his friends followed him, but Benkei was holding a thrashing Mirai back while Wakasa was already swinging his leg. Shinichiro ducked just in time, narrowly missing the kick that had rattled the door, but didn't bring it down.

Clicking his tongue, Wakasa moved to the other end of the room before kicking the floor, swinging his leg towards the door again. This time, the door broke open, and Takeomi had to hastily grab the broken pieces from falling.

"Reina!" The girl was writhing on the floor, sobbing and shaking. Shinichiro hastily gathered her in his arms, carrying her to her bed. "Reina, can you hear me? Can you tell me what's wrong?"

"Hurts...Shin-nii...hurts..."

"Call Izana and Seishu!" He tossed his phone at Takeomi, uncaring whether it fell or not. Reina curled into herself as soon as she was on the bed, gripping the blanket until it almost tore. Shinichiro placed one knee on the bed, pressing his palm against her forehead. "Reina, you're burning up. Waka, find some medicine!"