21 • Test of Faith

Hanagaki Takemichi had a wonderful night.

First, he time leaped to find out his past self was chilling in a public bath with Mikey and Draken. Then, he joined the nomination of the new captain of the third division. Of course, the universe decided to say let's fuck Takemichi's life because the new captain of the third division was Kisaki fucking Tetta, the reason why Toman went corrupt in the future.

Wonderful.

Then, out of pure impulse and hatred, he punched Kisaki, which led him to get scolded and punched by Kisaki too. That was after he got beaten up by the captain of the first division who, by the way, decided to quit Toman to join Valhalla. To add a rotten cherry on top of the falling cake, Mikey told him he would kick Kisaki out if Takemichi managed to bring Baji back. If he failed, then Mikey would kill him.

Absolutely wonderful.

But hey, at least he was put into the second division. Mitsuya seemed like a reasonable and kind person even though the captain of the second division didn't look too thrilled to have him. To make it worse, Takemichi couldn't really blame Mitsuya because well, Takemichi couldn't fight for shit.

Anyway, tonight was an absolutely wonderful night.

He wasn't about to make it more wonderful by asking Nagarei if he was a girl in disguise, no matter how curious he was. No, Takemichi wanted to live, thank you very much. But it seemed fate really hated him because while he was able to live to see tomorrow, Valhalla's number three, who by some very fateful convenience was his upperclassman, decided to pick him up from school and invited him to Valhalla's hideout.

Takemichi hated his absolutely wonderful life sometimes.

To add yet another rotten cheery on top of the already fallen cake, his brain forgot to mention how fucking stupid it was to just follow Kazutora to the lion's den. So, there he was, gaping like an idiot in the middle of enemy territory while Baji beat the absolute living crap out of someone.

"Kazutora-kun." Takemichi felt like throwing up when he realized that Baji wasn't stopping and there was blood all over his fucking knuckles. The guy he was beating was also obviously bleeding, face unrecognizable from all the beating. This was not what he was expecting when the number three of Valhalla invited him to their hideout. "What's going on here?"

"What do you mean? It's obviously a test of faith," Kazutora answered as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. "It's a test of Baji's belief in Valhalla. Leaving Toman to enter Valhalla is like switching religions, so he needs to show us he's ready."

He jerked his head at the beaten-up dude. "That guy Baji's beating up right now is Toman's first division vice-captain, Baji's most trusted underling." He smiled as if the situation was something to smile about. "Toman is Valhalla's enemy." Kazutora tilted his head to face Takemichi, smiling even wider. "If he's betraying his old 'god', Mikey, then he's gotta curb stomp his old beliefs."

The entirety of Valhalla watched as Baji raised his fist, about to punch Chifuyu again. But something suddenly slammed against his shoulder, sending him flying until his back crashed against the wall with a choked scream.

"What the fuck are you doing, Baji?!"

Nagarei crouched down protectively beside Chifuyu, snarling at the captain of the first division. His sudden appearance surprised everyone, both Valhalla and Takemichi alike. The grunts in white Valhalla jackets bristled, looking ready to attack him.

But Baji's laugh stopped them in their tracks. They watched as he stood up, massaging his shoulder. "The hell you're doing here, Rei? Don't tell me Chifuyu was dumb enough to invite you too."