84 • Blood Connections

"Kusariyama Mori, or Miriam Ramos, had a son named Kurokawa Izana when she came to Japan eighteen years ago."

Those were Harui's words and as unbelievable as she wished it was—because what were the fucking odds?—the chances were never zero. Her origin was questionable at best, and she knew both her birth parents weren't exactly conservative, for lack of a better word.

Suou Kozue was known as a playboy in his youth, long before and even after his marriage; and Kusariyama Mori—Miriam Ramos—worked in a brothel, most likely staying longer than her visa allowed her to.

The chances of Reina having more half-siblings were higher than she'd like to admit.

If the DNA test they would inevitably take later proved Harui right, then she understood why he decided to deal with this alone. Both Izana and she herself were in a volatile state of mind, and neither would've taken the news kindly.

"What...the fuck are you talking about?"

"It's ridiculous, isn't it?" Because even she couldn't believe this huge coincidence. It was as if fate was playing a pitiful game with her. "It's fine even if you don't accept me." Because it took her some time to accept Aizen. So, she knew Izana also needed time to understand her. Whether he accepted her or not would be a different issue though. "But at the very least, Shinichiro-san who you called brother...Manjiro and Emma who called you their brother despite the lack of blood ties...at the very least, don't discard them."

Perhaps she chose the wrong words because Izana suddenly gripped her neck. Gasping, her good hand clawed his on instinct, the sudden pressure on her throat taking her off guard. Gritting her teeth, she gripped his hands and swung her leg upwards, kicking his chin. While wrenching his hands away from her neck.

"You son of a bitch!"

"Shut the fuck up!" Swinging his leg, his anger only spiked when Reina dodged his kick. With an animalistic roar, he lunged at her with his fist pulled back to strike her head, only for her to step aside.

"You've realized it too, haven't you?" Ducking another punch, Reina struck her fist into his gut, immediately delivering a kick that slammed his head to the ground. "Your 'impeccable' senses are starting to miss."

Of course it would. There was a reason why Reina kept on hitting places with many nerves.

"Shut up! Shut up! Shut up! SHUT THE FUCK UP!" That accursed girl must've done something because he was seeing doubles right now. Still, he gnashed his teeth and swung his fist, growing more and more infuriated when Reina dodged them almost disinterestedly.

"Can't you see you're making a mistake?!" She planted her foot on his chest and pushed him back. "You're putting the blame on the wrong people!" Who was the one at fault? There were far too many names, but too little at the same time. "You claim Manjiro took everything away from you! You claimed Shinichiro-san lied to you! But who was it that abandoned you in the first place?! Who was it that chose to run away?!"

She understood. She knew what it felt like to feel so overwhelmed that she just wanted to erase her life and start over again. But Reina had people to confide in and fall back to. She had people who extended their hands for her first. She had people who reminded her that it was okay to start over, that it was okay to accept someone and not forgive the other. And that was the difference between him and her.

And that's the difference she'd throw to hell for Shiki to chew on.

"Hey, brother," she called out, yanking his fist until their foreheads crashed into each other, "Don't you think it's about time we both accept the fact that we're not as alone as we thought we were?"