34 • Chessboard

"Can't we just say Nagarei and Mirai got injured by delinquents?"

"We can't, Rei Rei," answered Anggita with a sigh. The light from the moon shone through the tinted window, illuminating the bedroom ever so slightly, but enough for the woman to see the way Reina scowled when she continued with, "We tried, and they said they could either prolong the party or postpone it or just set an entire meeting after. That's how the party got changed to the twentieth instead of the beginning of December." They were rather adamant about meeting the entire family. "The five-day party from the twentieth to Christmas is just a formality. It could go on to the New Year if Suou wishes for it."

"Coño," Reina spat, rising from the bed to lean against the headboard, ignoring the scandalized look Anggita was giving her. "So, Mirai has to attend? That's bullshit. It's a party for rich people and their rich teenage kids, at least. They have alcohol and I'm betting my ass some fuckers will sneak in drugs." As much as she heard that Suou's wife would not let that happen, it was still unsafe." There won't be many children except Mirai and there'll be kidnappers and groomers and slimy motherfuckers and—"

"Mirai won't come," Anggita cut her off. "I've talked it out with the host himself—"

"Suou Kozue?"

"Yes, the owner himself," she reassured with a nod. "It's an adult party, set on a cruise ship, and will last into the night for days, so he understands why Mirai can't come and will make adjustments to the guest list. But he said, with extreme politeness"—Anggita rolled her eyes with a scoff—"that he's looking forward to meeting Shiki's adopted twins and heir."

"Motherfucking piece of shit," spat Reina under her breath. Sighing while raking her hand through her hair, she let herself slump against the headboard. "But this is good enough, I guess. Now we just have to find a way to make Nagarei exist."

"Like I said, Baji is the best choice."

"You want him to act as Nagarei for a night?" Because Reina sure as hell wouldn't stay on the whole cruise around Japan. She would attend the party on the first night and step off for some academic reason or whatever when the cruise was in Tokyo Bay. Harui could stay for all she cared, but Reina and Nagarei were only needed for one night. "You think he can act the part?"

"He played his part well through this whole Valhalla incident, right?" Anggita asked rhetorically with a shrug. "It doesn't have to be him. Matsuno Chifuyu is also a good choice. He looks like he knows how to read the room and keep his mouth shut, something we need for the inevitable insults you'll have to face."

"Both Baji and Chifuyu have lighter skin than me, and their eyes aren't green like mine."

Well, that wasn't saying much considering a majority of Japan has lighter skin than her. Reina may not know who her birth parents were, but she was sure at least one of them was a foreigner, and they weren't a Western foreigner like Mirai and Harui's mother because most Westerners did not have bronze skin.

"Foundation and contact lenses," offered Anggita with another shrug. "Besides, Nagarei's physical description has lots of varieties and it's not weird for fraternal twins to look different and have different skin tones and eye colors. Plus, whatever you say will be accepted," she stated with a grin. "Because you're Hokusei Reina."

"Will Harui agree?"

"If it's for Hokkyokusei, he'll put on another act, and you know better than anyone how good he is."

"Baji or Chifuyu, huh?" Tilting her head back, Reina mulled over the suggestion. "They do owe me a huge favor, Kazutora as well. If it's just for one night...shouldn't it be okay?" Shaking her head, she sighed and dragged her hand down her face. "No, I...I'll give it some time and think of something in the meantime."