50 • Sacrament of Penance

The situation was worse than she thought because first of all, the idiotic quatro had all the wrong information. Hakkai lied to them about taking Taiju's beating in Yuzuha's place when it was the other way around, and that lie made them sure he would kill Taiju to protect Yuzuha.

But Toman refused to engage with Black Dragon, so the first division—truly, they should've called themselves the division of troublemaking dumbasses—decided to stop Hakkai themselves, and the 'party' Kokonoi mentioned was Black Dragon ambushing the idiotic division.

To make it worse, these absolute morons decided to work together with Kisaki, and they were relying on information given by Kokonoi, the absolute snake—how hypocritical of her—who didn't think twice to report to his boss about their obvious plan to ambush Taiju.

There should be a limit to how reckless one could be, and all Reina could say was, "I'm surprised you four managed to stay alive and within Toman for so long."

Their reply was, "Rude." Because they knew they had fucked up in more ways than one. Either way, straightening out Hakkai's lies wasn't her priority, and they needed to hear the truth from Hakkai himself, not her. So, the only thing she should focus on was making sure none of these four idiots become Christmas offerings, and maybe beat up the Black Dragons in the process.

"Hm...how weird," Reina muttered when Baji parked his bike in front of the church. The parking lawn was devoid of bikes except for four. "He called it a party, but I don't see any guests. Don't tell me they're all arriving late."

That, or they were in hiding. But Reina didn't feel any eyes on her, and she knew how to spot an amateur even with her eyes closed—well, they were halfway blind, but that was beside the point—so she was really thinking the party was designated to arrive late. For what, she couldn't pinpoint, but she was betting on dramatic effects because Black Dragon did seem quite dramatic.

"Shit. Isn't that Mitsuya's bike?" Kazutora kicked the kickstand of his bike, about to call out for Reina when he realized she had already hopped off Baji's bike before he even could park it properly, walking up the steps to the church doors.

When she cracked the door open, she saw Takemichi, Chifuyu, and Mitsuya on the floor while Taiju, Kokonoi, and Inui stood near the front. Yuzuha was unconscious on a pew, and Hakkai was gripping a knife with trembling hands, panting as he kept repeating, "I can...even I can! I'm gonna do it! I'm gonna kill you, Taiju!"

Ah, she wondered if she had ever made that kind of face. Reina knew that deep down, she wasn't always a killer who laughed at the sight of blood. Deep down, she knew that she had once feared the blood she was forced to shed, so much that she eventually grew numb and the fear changed into obsession.

Both faces, whether they be fear or obsession, must've been quite unsightly.

Before she knew it, she was behind Hakkai, gripping his wrist until the blade of the knife was pointed at her. "If you kill someone while driven by your emotions, don't you think the regret will haunt you a hundred times harder?"

"Rei!"

Baji and Kazutora burst through the doors not a second later, screaming her name out and panting as they took notice of the situation. Both their and Hakkai's shouts must've snapped everybody else out of their disbelief as they finally saw her in all her bloody glory.

"Huh? Rei!" Takemichi, Chifuyu, and Mitsuya gaped like fishes out of the water, especially at the sight of the supposedly missing Nagarei, bloodied and bruised all over.

"How the hell...?" Inui stared at Nagarei with wide eyes, unconsciously taking a step back. You're kidding me. How the hell did he escape? What kind of bullshit is this?