19 • The Calm

"What's the meaning of this?"

"We were ridin' 'round the area and wanted to visit you." Mikey beamed as if Nagarei wasn't scowling with the anger of a thousand suns. "Valhalla's been gettin' braver and braver by the day and we wanna make sure you and Mirai are safe."

"Unfortunately, I don't trust your gang." Nagarei scowled, silently reminding them of the third of August incident. Draken actually winced because yes, they had fucked up. There was no way to sugarcoat just how badly they had fucked up. "But I appreciate it."

From where he was silently observing a particularly light pink camellia to distract himself, Draken lifted his head to look at her. "Question here. You're not demanding a personal favor for saving my life or are you still waiting?"

Reina was a bit unnerved by how she was readable now, but chalked it up to just her being around them long enough. "Since you're still talking to me nicely and not screaming bloody murder about my past, I think I'll be nice for once and leave the demand hanging." Jabbing her finger behind Draken, she glared at the other blond. "But if he continues to wreck my shop, I'll demand triple payment."

"Oi, Mikey!" Dutifully, Draken barked at the president. "Stop making a racket! Dammit, I just got discharged, for fuck's sake."

"But it's empty!"

"It's ten in the fucking night, dumbass! The shop's closed!" Pinching the bridge of her nose, Reina felt like she was losing a brain cell for every second she interacted with any boy affiliated with Toman. "You've said what you wanted to say. Leave now."

"Eh? But I wanna see Reichin's snake!"

Draken gave him a look that clearly screamed, 'since when did you like snakes'. But he was only answered with a cheeky grin, one Reina wanted to slap so badly. But before her patience could snap, the jingling bell as the door swung open was heard.

"I'm sorry but we're closed—" Reina felt the words trailing off as she stared at the supposed customer. Instantly, her scowl twisted in agitation. Growling, she gripped the counter, ready to pull out the weapon hidden there.

"Harui."

"Nice place you've got here, Zero." The wretched nickname made her snarl, but Harui only stuffed his hands into his pockets and looked around the shop. "So this is what you did after running away with Father's money? Pretty pathetic."

"Father's money?" She couldn't help but scoff. "That was my money he gave to fund his beloved weapon." Shaking her head, she snarled at him."Why are you even here? We had a fucking deal. Don't you have enough enemies to keep yourself occupied?"

"Since it was so...inconvenient before, I wasn't able to say what I wanted to say to my dearest brother." The word was said with such contempt that even Draken and Mikey tensed. "Who failed to fulfill his part of the deal, might I remind." With every step he took, Reina took a step backward, until her back eventually hit the counter. "Tell me again, Zero. What was the point of running away from me if you can't even protect Mirai?"

Leveling the man with a glare, Reina gripped the counter until her fingers ached, teeth bared into a growl. "I wasn't the one who got her kidnapped."

"But you were the one who let her get kidnapped." Faster than she could see, Harui lunged at her, a silver glint in his hands. Reina yanked the knife hidden under the counter, a clang echoing in the shop as their knives clashed. In response, Harui only raised an eyebrow. "Oh? I've thought about it, but have you gone rusty?"

The next thing she knew, the knives were thrown to the side, and her back connected with the counter, knocking the breath out of her. Harui lowered his foot, grinning at the imprint of his shoe that was left on Reina's previously pristine burgundy shirt.