13 • Compromise

Kicking the kickstand of his bike with more force than needed, but still gently because he actually loved his bike, Baji stomped into the hospital lobby. Chifuyu was hot on his trails, glancing anxiously at his captain once every few seconds. Baji's fists were clenched, teeth bared and gritting against each other. News about Draken had spread, and he was worried, to say the least.

The captains of the other divisions waited outside, but Baji had another thing in mind. Nagarei and Mirai, the two people he swore he would protect—a huge fucking lie that made his teeth grit harder—were probably inside as well, and goddamn did Baji need to at least apologize for his failure.

"Chifuyu, stay outside. I'm going in alone."

His vice-captain obeyed without any question and scampered away. Baji took a deep breath before asking for Tosei Mirai's room. His feral snarl would show his anger, but not his dread. He heard it, as did everybody else, how Mirai clearly implied that Nagarei was a murderer and, obviously enough, had murdered someone.

Maybe it was just an implication, maybe it was an inside joke between the siblings. But deep down, he knew that wasn't the case, not when he had seen for himself just how dangerous someone with strength could be, not when he had seen for himself how easily someone could kill.

Not when he had played a hand in someone's death.

But now that he was standing in front of the supposed room, knuckles ready to knock despite the urge to just slam the damn door open, Baji froze. Muffled sobs and hiccups could be heard from the other side of the door and if Baji didn't know better, he would've thought Emma was inside, crying like the first few times he'd seen her back when they were kids.

Baji never had a lot of manners to begin with, so he slid the door open. Greeted by the sight of Nagarei, curled up resembling a ball, tears slipping out of his eyes as he stared at Baji with wide eyes, the captain of the first division suddenly lost the ability to speak.

"Uh, I, uh—"

"Draken's in the emergency room," Nagarei said, sniffing silently as he wiped his eyes. The snake on his shoulders hissed, mouth open wide as if telling Baji to leave. But Nagarei shushed him, rubbing circles on the snake's head with his index finger. "If you ask a nurse or a janitor, they'll guide you there. You'll find Sano and Hanagaki there too."

That's certainly not what he was here for even though Baji had just learned where Draken was. "Wanted to check on you."

Nagarei looked at him as if he just claimed that cats could fly, something even he knew wasn't true, thank you very much. Slowly, as if to make sure he heard him right, Nagarei repeated, "Check on who?"

"You and Mirai."

"Why?"

"Cus you're injured."

At that, Nagarei snorted, rolling his eyes as he looked away. "You should be worried about the other guys." Because he sure as hell had demolished them. Toman didn't even need to do much, not when Moebius had been single-handedly and very brutally beaten in front of their eyes.

"Nah, they deserved it." Baji smirked, sliding in to sit beside Nagarei. He didn't look at the younger boy as he frowned, rubbing his nape. "And, uh, sorry 'bout what happened to Mirai. We promised to protect her 'n all but...sorry."

"Mirai's safety is my responsibility, not yours." Reina would never admit that she felt bitter because nobody had tried helping Mirai when she wasn't there, but it was her fault for being reliant on others. "Besides, I'll get back at them."

Baji respectfully didn't question the dark expression Nagarei had on his face, just huffing. "Don't...don't blame Pehyan too much," he nearly begged. "He's just mad 'cus of Pah's arrest 'n all. He thinks you put words in Mikey's head and well, we'll make him apologize, but don't...don't beat him up too badly."