48 • So Much More

The halls of the house were eerily silent, the moonlight just adding more eeriness. Despite the winter air seeping through the open windows, a lone lamp provided some warmth by shining at the farthest corner of the library. And standing underneath it was the small back of someone who should be in bed.

"What are you doing?" Harui walked up behind her. A smile was plastered on his face as he peeked over her shoulder to read the book on the table. "Isn't that high school stuff?" It was probably college-level stuff though, but some high schoolers should be studying that. Well, Harui wouldn't know. He had never gone to school. "You're still in elementary, Nana. There's no need to study this far."

Reina shook her head, rubbing her dry eyes. Closing the book, she placed it on the pile on her right before grabbing another book on the pile on her left. Complicated words about business, finance, and strategies filtered through her brain.

"I...I need this." She didn't really care about the things written inside the books. But if knowledge could help her survive, then it was only natural for her to learn. "I...I have to understand this."

She felt her brother's hands knead her tense shoulders, earning a groan from her. Harui pressed one spot that had Reina slumping on the chair, exhaustion seeping out of her. "You don't have to follow me, Nana." His voice was soft, and so was his smile. "I will succeed Hokkyokusei and clean it up, then I'll give it to you. You don't have to do anything. I'll clean it up for you. I'll make you the queen Victoire wanted you to be."

Oh, wouldn't that be such a wonderful dream? But unfortunately, Reina wasn't living in a dream. She couldn't afford to. If she stayed in a dream, then she would die. That was why no matter what, she couldn't allow herself to relax until she managed to completely escape Father with Harui and Mirai in tow.

"Hokkyokusei belongs to you, the one with blood relation to Hokusei," Reina mumbled, leaning against the chair. "I don't deserve it, but I will help you. Money, connections, negotiations, manpower, loyalty...I will give them all to you."

Harui sat beside her, closing the textbook. "I won't deny that I need your help, Nana. We all know you got the best brains out of the three of us." Because that was a fact even if nobody wanted to admit it. "But even if I'm the king, the crown will always belong to you."

"I don't need the crown." Reina placed her head on his shoulder. It was simply the truth that she didn't need the crown, nor did she want it. "You will be the king, Rui-nii. I will make you undefeatable. I will make you the greatest king there is. I will make sure Hokkyokusei is fully under your command."

"I know you will." Harui kissed the crown of her head. "But Nana, I'd rather you focus on yourself than me. You're strong, you're smart, but you get violent way too easily. I don't want you living as a slave of your own strength."

"You're delusional." Reina rolled her eyes, leaning more of her weight on her brother. "I'm not a slave. I'm in control."

"You fight like it's a drug, Nana," Harui said softly, turning off the lamp. "When you're angry, you lose control over your rationalities and go feral. You kill people with no mercy and then get eaten by the guilt. That's not how you're meant to live, Nana. You're so much more than a killing machine."

"If your Hokkyokusei needs it, I don't mind being a killing machine."

The older boy frowned, circling his arms around her back and behind her knees, lifting her up. "One day, we'll take Hokkyokusei from Father. Then, I'll make sure nobody, not even me, will ever use you again." His tone was solemn, but Reina merely smiled in disbelief. "But for now, you need to sleep. C'mon, I'll even sing you a lullaby."