18 • Amusement Park Troubles

If there was one thing she had learned from Toman, it was that not many things could remain a secret for long.

No, she wasn't talking about her blubbered-out past.

Hence, there they were, waving at her from the amusement park gates.

"I only invited Mitsuya and his sisters."

"Aw, c'mon, Rei." Baji slung his arm around her shoulders, and Reina resisted the urge to punch. "It's the last day of summer holidays. Let us have fun too. On your treat, of course."

"Rei, Rei, Rei." Emma latched onto her free arm, beaming at her with those puppy eyes. "Photobooths turned into booklets! Booklets, Rei! Booklets! Let's get one together! I'll buy it, so let's go in already!"

"Yeah, okay." Reina blissfully ignored the outrageous gasps coming from the boys. After all, Baji, Chifuyu, Mikey, Draken, and Hakkai were unwanted additions. The little girls clung to the older girls, leaving Mitsuya and the other more mature teenagers to comfort the boys. But since they were already there and all, it wasn't like she could just kick them back and ruin the day (technically, she could). "I'll buy the lot of you regular tickets, so get moving."

Honestly, she should get paid for babysitting these kids.

As the stars of the outing, the little girls got to choose what to ride, and the teenagers must abide. Surprisingly or not, the first ride was the roller coaster. Hakkai's face paled comically as they got in line. But since he didn't want to get teased, he swallowed down his fear and sat next to Mirai in front. Mana and Mitsuya were behind him, Emma and Luna were behind them, Mikey and Draken were two seats behind them, and Baji, Chifuyu, and Nagarei were at the three-people seat at the very back.

When the ride began, Hakkai gripped his seat until his knuckles turned white, his action not going unnoticed by the giddy redhead beside him as she grinned. "You're scared?"

"Nope."

"Nanane said in rides like these, it's better to scream everything off since there's a high chance of getting a heart attack if you suppress it."

"How...reassuring." Hakkai gulped, clenching his eyes shut as the roller coaster began to ascend. He was glad his scream was drowned by the kids' shriek of delight. He was even more glad he was at the front since that meant no chance of anybody seeing his expression. When the roller coaster took a 360 turn, Hakkai swore his soul left his body.

"Ah, that was fun!"

The little girls screeched and hugged each other as they ran out of the ride. Hakkai staggered on his feet, one hand slapped over his mouth as he tried not to gag. Though the nausea was easily replaced by terror when Mirai proposed they go to a fucking haunted house.

Kids were fucking scary.

At least he wasn't the only one who looked scared.

"Kyah! Draken! Draken! Get it away from me! Agh! Gah! Kya!" Emma shrieked when wisps of fabric brushed against her ankles, jumping onto Draken's back with her face buried into his shoulder. The vice-commander of Toman didn't even bat an eye, circling his arms around Emma's legs to hold her steady.

"Don't beat anyone up. They're not paid to get beaten up," Nagarei reminded uselessly, hopping over the tiny pits on the floor. How he managed to see so well in the dark, Hakkai didn't want to know. Comically enough, Chifuyu was clinging to Nagarei's arm with Baji flanking behind them. Hakkai had half a mind to join them.

It was even more comical how Mirai, Luna, and Mana were leading the pack fearlessly. Mitsuya was following behind them, flinching at every jumpscare but managing to look calm throughout the ride. Mikey was beside Draken, teasing Emma by describing inaccurate and gorier versions of the ghosts displayed.