109 • Ten Years Ago

The 'tale' of the Black Dragon surpassing its ancestor may sound heroic and dramatic, especially since it was spread by the mouths of boisterous boys with fragile positions and even more fragile egos.

But for the queen, surpassing her ancestor felt like a migraine-inducing duty.

Not to say Reina didn't have fun. After all, the time she led Black Dragon to a place higher than the stars was the happiest time of her life. It was filled with adrenaline, laughter, and victories. It was when she drove around Japan on her precious bike, laughing as the wind blew her growing hair, all with the people dear to her by her side.

However, for that one year, Reina felt like she had done nothing but stand back and watch as her gang wreaked havoc instead of wreaking havoc with them. Her commanding general, in particular, seemed to take pride whenever he could best her vice-president in beating a gang up. He even made it a mission to tear him down in the pettiest way possible.

Well, Izana and Inui never did get along.

After she had conquered the five regions in Honshu, Reina first experienced what it was like to have an entire world in the palm of her hands. She didn't need to wonder how she would bring her gang to Kyushu, Shikoku, and Hokkaido since they were the ones who came to her first.

After all, after taking over Chugoku, it became more than apparent that Black Dragon was trying to take over the country, and anybody who didn't know would know the second Black Dragon waged war on their gang. Her Black Dragon grew bigger than its ancestors, having over three dozen or so gangs under its name and over two thousand members.

But only Tenjiku received the honor of wearing their uniform.

Reina never let the other gangs merge with hers, always drawing a strict line between them. After all, she had plans for them after Black Dragon ended. Beating an entire gang came too easily for her, even if all she did was stand back and watch. There were no dramatic deaths or threats, nobody dying before or during the fights, nobody getting kidnapped or landing in the ER with permanent injuries. It was all so plain in comparison to the times she was with Toman, and Reina had laughed because she finally understood what Hanma meant by Kisaki making his life festive.

Nobody was challenging anymore.

Not even when the entirety of Hokkaido's delinquents ganged up to take Black Dragon down, nor when Shikoku and Kyushu's delinquents decided to form a similar unlikely alliance. And certainly not when the gangs affiliated under her tried to betray her—they were personally dealt with by Izana and Inui, who made it a game of who could punish the traitors better.

If her life was a shounen manga, the arc of her taking over the country would bore her readers with how repetitive and easy it was. It would be considered a training arc where a time skip would happen. Maybe it was the fact that she was ruling over a delinquent world, which was nothing in comparison to Hokkyokusei and the criminal world, but she found everything so damn easy that she mostly let her executives make the choices.

"It's nearing the end, isn't it?" The clang of metal meeting metal echoed inside the gym walls. Pivoting on one foot, Izana spun behind her, his sheathed dagger raised to strike down. Expecting it to be blocked, his face remained unfazed as he put some distance between them. "What're your plans from here on out?"

On his nineteenth birthday, Reina gifted him a pair of daggers with sheaths studded in amethyst, matching her own set of emerald-studded daggers, which she also got as a gift. After all, Izana did ask her to teach him how to wield weapons.

Twirling her own sheathed weapons, Reina kicked the floor and lunged forward, thrusting her own sheathed dagger towards Izana's neck, immediately pivoting to duck under his attack when he dodged. "Who knows?" Stepping back from his slash, Reina jabbed his inner wrist, causing him to involuntarily drop his sheathed dagger. "I dunno anymore."