134 • Elizabetha Bloodbath #5

"Sanzu will be the first to betray me."

The two gathered around her glanced at each other as she picked up a knight from the board, twirling it around her fingers as the glass piece reflected the light above them. The reflection made her eyes shine. But at the same time, those eyes couldn't be any duller. Sighing, Reina placed the knight in the space between the white king and the black king.

"The trigger part of him wants to have a place by my side...he wants to watch the stupid darkness take over me." She nudged the knight, toppling it over to the white king. The ridiculously detailed carving of the horse's eyes seemed to glare at the white king. Reina flicked it again. "But another part of him will always choose Manjiro...because he is the one person Haruchiyo admires and respects."

The knight rolled, facing the black king. "Whether it be to see me go berserk or to help Manjiro, he'll do something I won't approve of." Because Reina had more control than any of them thought she would have, than she thought she would have, and Sanzu must've been bored with this stretched out game of time and fate. 

In a way, Sanzu Haruchiyo was a player like her too. He was a stray cogwheel, after all. He had more than enough power to alter the course of the clockwork. If this game was boring him or if the clockwork wasn't moving at his desired pace, then it was only natural for him to take matters into his own hands. 

"What do you want us to do with this information?" Picking up the knight, Izana placed it on Reina's palm. As his fingers curled around hers, his smile promised destruction, and Kakucho internally shivered. "If you wanted him out, you would've done so without even telling us." Izana squeezed her hand that was squeezing the knight. The stupid piece that dared to go astray would be killed and replaced by a pawn. But for that to happen, the player needed to move her mouth. "What do you want us to do, Reina?"

"Nothing as of yet." Reina placed the knight back with the rest of the black pieces. "I'm only telling you two because I believe you two are the only ones capable of stopping him...at least, if I couldn't." Pursing her lips, her bloodshot eyes narrowed. Izana would do anything she ordered him to do, regardless of how vile the order was. Kakucho would also follow whatever she asked him to do even if it was just for Izana's sake. If it was them, then she could issue this order.

"Break his body. Break his mind."  A human being was made up of three parts, or so she had been told. The body that was the host, the mind that kept the host working, and the soul that made the host exist. Out of those three parts, she only needed one. "But don't kill him."

As crazy as he seemed to act, Sanzu's mind couldn't be classified as broken. If it was, he wouldn't have been able to act so insane. His body was also in perfect condition. But if those two parts of him were to be broken, then Sanzu Haruchiyo would no longer be a threat or a tool to her. It was better for him to be that way than for him to get in her way.

"I can't understand."

It was understandable considering Sanzu was quite adept with dirty fighting and weapons, so subduing him would be difficult for most people, including Inui and Kokonoi. But as Kakucho watched how more and more bloodshot her eyes seemed to get, and how thicker and heavier the bruises under her eyes seemed to grow, he couldn't help but question her.

"Why not spare yourself the trouble and kick him out now?"

Reina lifted her eyes to meet his, staring for a few seconds before lowering them back to the board. Kakucho wrung his hands behind his back, finding the silence so fucking loud and suffocating as she flicked the knight, toppling it to the side, facing him. She opened her mouth, and without even looking at him or offering any other explanation, she gave her answer.