163 • Power Shift

Reina was mentally twenty-two, almost twenty-three. So, when she saw a fifteen-something kid beat the living shit out of some poor bastard, all she could think of was, "A brat with anger issues."

"The fuck didja just call me?"

Oh, right. She was also a brat with anger issues, so touché to her, she guessed. But goddammit, was Hanma always this violent? She remembered him being less, or maybe that was because she was always more violent, thus making everybody seem less. Either way, it didn't really matter.

"For someone who's been searching for me, very loudly, might I add, you don't seem well-informed." Well, Yahata got a growth spurt, so she supposed it was a bit of a stretch to expect Hanma to recognize Yahata based on past physical descriptions. But Reina already made sure to bind her chest and deepen her voice, so she hoped Hanma wouldn't think of her as a girl.

"Yahata?"

"Yeah, I guess that's what people call me."

"The president of Black Dragon, or was he the vice-president?" Mulling, Hanma eventually shrugged. "Well, whoever he was, he told me that he challenged me on 'the real president of Black Dragon, Yahata's' orders or something like that, and that's kinda interesting, y'know. I mean"—he snorted—"all this time, I thought Shiba Taiju was the president of Black Dragon, but lo and behold, someone else was pulling the strings in the shadows."

Hanma did love manipulative 4D players like Kisaki and her.

"Well, I'm here now." Taking a seat on top of a dumpster lid, Reina placed her elbow on her knee and leaned her head on her gloved knuckles. "Why all the search? I might be interested in making a deal with you based on your answer."

"That something you should be asking me?" Cackling, Hanma finally dropped the poor bastard he had beaten up. "Question should be why the fuck did you tell one of your dogs to attack me?"

"I did? I don't remember giving that kind of order." That was true. She never told Taiju to attack Hanma, only to get him for her, and to make him interested in Yahata. A play of words, really. "Well, either way, isn't this beneficial to you? Hasn't your life turned a bit more fun?"

"Has it? All I feel is dullness."

"Well, that won't do." Tilting her head to the side, Reina hummed. She eventually smirked, deciding to take a different course of action. "Have you heard of Tokyo Manji Gang, Hanma?"

"The one led by the Invincible Mikey?"

"Yeah, well, he's a bit overrated, but alright." Shrugging, Reina waved her hands dismissively. "I'll tell you something interesting," she said, gaining Hanma's interest. "Tokyo Manji Gang's unofficial strategist, Kisaki Tetta. Ever heard of him?"

"Not really."

"Well, he's not that good in fights, so that's a given." And neither was Takemichi, but Takemichi was at least infamous for always getting up again, regardless of how beaten he was. "But he's the reason behind Toman's strategical rise to power." Pulling out a deck of cards from her pocket, Reina shuffled them.

Taking one card from the deck, she tossed it at Hanma, who caught it with ease. "Mikey and Kisaki...surely, they'll last longer than fireworks. They might even be a carnival for you."

"Interesting." Grinning at the joker card in his hands, Hanma lifted his eyes to Yahata, who was dusting his pants, obviously about to leave. "Normally, gang leaders wanna expand their own gangs, not rivaling ones."

"If I wanted Black Dragon to be number one, I would've revealed myself as the leader instead of using a front." Tilting her head to glance at Hanma, she smiled behind her mask. "What I want goes beyond that, and I'm looking forward to seeing what you'll bring in our next meeting."