17 • The First Future

Since his mission was over, Takemichi decided it was time to go back to the future.

Much to his delight, his pain and struggles weren't in vain. After all, he was able to meet Hinata, now twenty-six like himself. Tears streamed down his eyes before he even found the chance to greet her. However, that did nothing to ease the awkwardness between them when they finally settled in Hinata's living room. After five hellish minutes that seemed to last an eternity, Naoto decided to head outside, letting the two awkward lovebirds have their conversation while he looked over the latest news on his phone.

But Takemichi clung to his leg before he could even try, begging Naoto to not leave him alone with his sister. Naoto needed to remind himself that his sister was very much in love with Takemichi and would not tolerate Naoto hitting him upside the head. But that didn't mean Naoto wanted to become a mosquito suffocating in awkwardness.

So, one awkward drive he was forced to endure later, Naoto bolted the fuck away from the couple, in desperate need of a smoke.

"Hokkyokusei and Toman...looks like they're still having a war with each other." Naoto huffed, scrolling through the internet. "That's weird. I'm pretty sure Hokkyokusei and Toman's rivalry wasn't this personal before Takemichi-kun changed the past." He would know because while his main focus was Toman, Hokkyokusei was big enough to be part of the scope. "Did he somehow involve himself with Hokkyokusei too?"

Clicking the picture in the news article, Naoto narrowed his eyes at the two people staring back at him. The older man was smiling unkindly while the woman was glaring. "Hokusei Harui and Reina." They looked nothing alike, as expected of adopted siblings. But the air they radiated was so similar that people always wondered how they weren't related. "Just what kind of relationship did they have with Toman for it to lead to this?"

Pocketing his phone and crossing his arms, Naoto continued to think over the names. "If Takemichi-kun did interact with Hokkyokusei, then it was most likely with Hokusei Reina since Hokusei Harui was already twenty-two back then." The middle child of the Hokusei family was, after all, the same age as Takemichi. "But he never mentioned anyone named Reina—"

The detective widened his eyes as he recalled one name Takemichi was desperate to search in the other timeline that supposedly no longer existed. "Tosei Nagarei." Naoto was sure he wasn't mistaken about the name, nor was he mistaken about how he didn't manage to find anything useful about Tosei Nagarei. "Tosei Nagarei and Hokusei Reina...Hokusei Reina made a public appearance with her brother ten years ago after years of making no appearances whatsoever...too much coincidence for it to be a mere coincidence."

Unbeknownst to him, someone from Toman had just rammed their truck into Naoto's car, where Hinata was in, causing the car to explode and kill the woman. In the presence of the raging fire, Takemichi cried and swore he would save her no matter how many tries it would take, determined to go back to the past again.

゚❁.。.:*✧・゚: *✧・゚:*卍*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*.:。❁

"Tachibana Hinata was killed."

"Oh...rest in peace, I guess." The woman slowly pushed herself up until her back was no longer on the couch. Tilting her head in circles, she groaned when her joints popped, relieving the tension in her body. "Kisaki again?"

"He took Sendo Atsushi's family hostage and forced him to crash his truck into the car Tachibana was in," elaborated the woman. "She was the only casualty despite claims saying she was with her ex-boyfriend and little brother."

"Ex? But Hina hasn't dated anyone since...Hanagaki?"

Anggita nodded, crossing her arms as she sat on the opposite sofa. "Hanma Shuji was there to confirm their deaths." Well, of course Kisaki's rabid bitch would be tasked to confirm the job was done. "From what I've gathered, Kisaki ordered Sendo to kill both Hanagaki Takemichi and Tachibana Hinata, but Hanagaki wasn't in the car when the murder happened."