39 • Bad Memories

Expectedly, Hakkai and Mitsuya, who were waiting in the living room, sprung up when they saw them.

"Yuzuha, you—"

"It's fine." Yuzuha walked past them, tugging Reina by her hand to sit beside her on the sofa. "Let's just...get all this over with."

"Mirai," Reina called out. "Can you take Marseille downstairs? It's been a while since he's gone outside his enclosure, right?"

"Yeah, sure."

The boys wordlessly watched as Yuzuha and Nagarei sat next to each other, the previously hostile air around them completely gone, replaced by something they couldn't really tell, but it was something between a sense of camaraderie and friendship. If Hakkai had enough courage to look at Nagarei, he'd assume it was an air of kinship.

"Thank you, Rei," Mitsuya said after Yuzuha had taken a few sips of the tea Mirai made. "Hakkai told me everything."

"Emma was there. I couldn't risk it."

"Right, um, he also mentioned a...er...a huge sum of money." Mitsuya cleared his throat. He wouldn't mind admitting that he dropped his mug when he heard the number Hakkai recited. It was just too big to be true, innuendo not fucking intended.

"I'll get it back." The 'probably' went unheard. If a fight between them happened and the Black Dragons lost, she could get her money back. If not, then it wasn't really much of a problem either. Reina has more than enough money to live a lifetime of comfort. "Besides, it was the money I got from Manjiro for my service on Bloody Halloween, no harm done to me."

"But, that much—"

"Mitsuya, I am the son of a criminal organization leader." Nagarei smiled in a mixture of bitterness and smugness. "My money may be dirty, but I have money. That much means nothing to me."

"You said you don't consider him your father."

"He's my father for money."

Mitsuya sighed, dropping the subject. "Fine. I don't like it, but god knows you're as stubborn as Mikey." It wasn't like Mitsuya or Toman could pay Nagarei back or anything anyway, so he should just be grateful Nagarei dropped the subject there. "More importantly, we still need to figure out Hakkai's problem."

"That's something you, his captain, will fix." Reina checked her phone for the time, realizing it was late. Soon, the siblings would have to go back home. But was that really the only choice available? Reina pursed her lips, taking a deep breath as she turned to look at Mitsuya. "Look, I warned you, and frankly, I don't think I have the time to deal with a gang fight right now. So, the best thing I can do to offer my assistance is to provide Hakkai and Yuzuha with a temporary place to stay."

Reina silenced the Shiba siblings with a raised hand before they could complain. "Depending on what you and Hakkai decide to do, Toman may or may not fight the Black Dragons." She narrowed her eyes at the two siblings. "But if your decision is based on your trust in Taiju...you know better than anybody what to expect."

They, more than anybody, should know what kind of person Taiju was. They, more than anybody, should know what Taiju thought promises to be. They, more than anybody, should know the risks and consequences of putting their trust in Taiju.

"It's not like we have much choice." Yuzuha sighed, dragging a hand down her face. She was obviously not pleased with the situation, but there was little she could do. At the end of the day, it didn't change the fact that they were tied to Taiju by blood and paper. "We can run away for a day or two, but that's our house too."

"That's why I'm offering you my guest room."

"But you, you're, uh—"

"I can manage."